Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

3 hours ago, jcidaho said:

Massive hindsight, but also thought at the time it was odd to let Bradley go, given he's the option of an imposing figure in the middle. Might not always be a first choice, but we're in dire need of his ilk right now.

I said at the time we’d regret letting him go if we didn’t replace him.......and we didn’t.

He was very expensive and agricultural at times which didn’t suit our purist fans.......however he added determination, agreession and influence in the middle of the park. Something we desperately lack at present!

Fast forward to today and the only fit player who offers any of these qualities is Shinnie who has to play for me. The other is Beilik who’s out till whenever.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Curtains said:

So how much would you have paid Martin and how long a contract and same with BJ. 

people have been banging on about getting rid and relying on the Academy for years 

Well I'd have matched BC, and not bothered about BJ. You might have been banging on about the Academy but I want to see a successful team. Mel threw the money about and now there's none left apparently? But there obviously is.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I'd have matched BC, and not bothered about BJ. You might have been banging on about the Academy but I want to see a successful team. Mel threw the money about and now there's none left apparently? But there obviously is.

Once again you misinterpret what I said. 

I said the Academy players would find it tough all in one go in the first team. 

Loads of Forum posters have lauded  the Academy wanting loads in the first team not me. 

Having said that the likes of Knight , Bird ,Sibley ,Whittaker and Buchanan have done ok as did Lowe and Bogle. 

We are where we are with Cocu needing time to get the right balance 

I can count on one hand the managers that have survived from similar positions. I fully understand the limitations of the squad but that’s no excuse for not doing the basics. If we lack quality, which we do, then we simply must be fitter than anyone else as a minimum. 

Cocu is one of those managers that has a ‘way’, either it works or it doesn’t. If he survives this I’ll be shocked, there is no way that team will win enough to stay up when imposing elite level tactics on youth team players and limited ability pros. 

it’s fine having an aspiration to play that way but you have to be aware that it might require a departure from your usual approach to get there. I don’t believe cocu has another way and therefore I believe he’ll leave. 

So we played with 2 defensive midfielders and neither of them could protect the CB's, track runners and close down long shots. 

Impressive. I do love defensive midfielders that don't defend but can pass 25 yards to a full back. Frauds. 

And we got 2 of them doing that? I would have thought Blackburn would be disappointed to only score 4. I mean if you play with 2 DM's that don't defend then what are they for and why do you need 2 of them?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's lost the players, how do you think he will he get them back?

Results is the only thing that will get these players going. 

I can't see them keep doing what they're doing any better when they get beat for doing it. So they'll probably just do it worse if anything. 

A result might lift things and then we can build from there. And that's my problem with teams that don't create chances and have shots. Negative, reactive teams that don't ask questions and play for a perfect situation. Just like Rowett could only ever play counter attacking football I can only see Cocu asking for patience/concentration and good decisions. If we scored goals then we always have a chance. But wherever we go I expect between 0 and 1 goal. Thats not much room for error. 

In fact the criticism aimed at Leeds for being too open and conceding too many I don't agree with. They score goals and while they might go down they'll go down being positive. 

I think a team that loses 4-3 takes more from a game than a team that creates nothing and gets beat 1-0. I think you can hang on to belief longer.

We just don't score. Yesterday was probably the most attacking fun we've had in ages. But it's verging on too late when it comes off the back of what we have been doing. 

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think your on the right path here roy and yesterday’s comments from Cocu aren’t being seen as significantly important as they were.

I don’t know if he has lost the players fully or not, however when a manager publicly lays into the whole team/squad then it sets up a crux (for want of a better term).

He is effectively telling the players to back him or sack him!

Its now in the players hands and things will come to a head over the next 3-5 games. If Cocu wins the results and performances will improve.

If the players decide not to buy into it performances will continue to deteriorate and players start making representations to Mel, at that point it’s only a matter of time.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Got side tracked but meant to add to my last post, did you notice how Cocu was openly questioning the players on the pitch mainly for the complete lack of closing down/pressing yesterday? 

First time I’ve seen him do it and he appeared very frustrated for him. Tie that in with the after match interview and I’ve gone from an optimist who can see there’s issues but wanting to give him time to being concerned about his relationship with his squad.

It looks like they aren’t following instructions which is a big concern. Many will condem the manager for that and it’s a fair point, however players need to be professional and carry out the managers instructions to the best of their ability, not ignore him no matter what the issues. Yesterday the players pissed me off as much as the score line!

The players in our team are pure confidence players. We saw it last year. We lose a couple and we’re in a rut and shocking but if we score we suddenly become a foot taller and are more confident. Once we score the first goal with these players they’ll fly. We saw it at Luton and Preston. When we scored we were by far the better team. I think if birds shot went in we’d have won yesterday or at least got a draw. 

3 hours ago, Curtains said:

Get over it mate 

Well it was ironic to hear Cocu in his prematch interview  saying how much we needed a central striker , "someone who can hold the ball up"  and we are nowhere near finding anybody. We played better last season with Martin in the team . That Cocu preferred to get rid is a decision of which he has to take the consequences.

Archived