Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nottingram said:

I saw people saying it could’ve been more than 4 but I was just trying to offer some perspective that it wasn’t even close to that sort of game, and that for Blackburn’s couple of long rangers that went in we had Bird’s cleared off the line and Sibley’s header well saved, for example. A fairer result like you say may have had one goal in it in Blackburn’s favour and we’d not have seen the same overreaction, in my opinion, but that doesn’t mean it was good enough on Saturday.

I'm not sure we deserved a goal in truth - But most of the first half was a side recovering from 5 mins of madness - Yes the Blackburn side had more chances and could have had a couple more (maybe) but that was partly down to our side just being shocked to their core by that 5 mins - It's hard to mentally recover from something like that - Had it still be 1-0 at 15 mins I think we would have got back into the game quicker

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I’m probably in a minority that thought he looked decent further forward in the second half with energetic runners around him

He's a class player and always will be - So he's always going to look good - I agree that he shouldn't be an automatic name on the team sheet though

Our defence is still learning to play together and we want to get our fullbacks forward - In that scenario you need DMs who are going to provide cover and where needed provide a tackle, a block or some muscle - Neither of our DMs on Saturday did that (until Knight was moved inside) - I think the problem is we should be playing Rooney OR Bird, not both of them

I'd honestly try Knight and Shinnie for the next game

33 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I have - Replied to you in the other thread - I'd be very surprised if that was a full on sprint by Bird - He covers a lot of ground but he's doing it at a pretty leisurely pace

Goal 1 - Bird covers more ground than any other Derby player.
                    - 7.5m more than Buchanan
                    - 10m more than Rooney
                    - 15m more than Byrne, te Wierik and Wisdom
Byrne should have stuck with his man on their left and left Rothwell to te Wierik. This would have held him up, allowing Bird to apply some pressure (Bird was only 1m away from Rothwell when he released the ball). Buchanan did no where near enough to stick with Dolan, and Wisdom allowed his man to run free after the initial shot.

Goal - Bird gets back to the edge of our box and is well positioned, closes down Rothwell, only for Sibley to also close him down, giving Johnson space and time to shoot

Goal 3 - Gets back to the penalty spot, Sibley marks Rooney's man (Rooney a good 5m away), again leaving Johnson with too much space to shoot.

Goal 4 - Bird was off the field

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Goal 1 - Bird covers more ground than any other Derby player.

So what? Jogging casually along behind the player running with the ball doesn't do anything useful...

I go back to m question on the other thread - Do you think that was a sprint back? Do you think he was trying to chase down the ball at that point?

I'm not singling out Bird as the only problem on Saturday - But that role in the side (deep lying CM) necessitates pressing and closing down players in a way Bird and Rooney weren't

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

7.5m more than Buchanan

Oh yeh - Buchanan takes his fair share of the blame for not chasing his player down the whole way too

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Goal - Bird gets back to the edge of our box and is well positioned, closes down Rothwell, only for Sibley to also close him down, giving Johnson space and time to shoot

Yep - Should definitely have been Rooney closing down for that one

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I still say any goal scored from just outside the area should be the remit of your DMs - Especially after the 2nd goal where they should already be on watch for that

You also seem to think I've said all 4 goals were Bird's fault - I haven't - It's a collective responsibility - But the midfield cover is where we struggled most - And I still think he was super casual running chasing back the first goal

52 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So what? Jogging casually along behind the player running with the ball doesn't do anything useful...

I go back to m question on the other thread - Do you think that was a sprint back? Do you think he was trying to chase down the ball at that point?

I'm not singling out Bird as the only problem on Saturday - But that role in the side (deep lying CM) necessitates pressing and closing down players in a way Bird and Rooney weren't

Oh yeh - Buchanan takes his fair share of the blame for not chasing his player down the whole way too

Yep - Should definitely have been Rooney closing down for that one

I still say any goal scored from just outside the area should be the remit of your DMs - Especially after the 2nd goal where they should already be on watch for that

The ball fell to their DM, who should be Sibley's man. Rothwell Bird's and Holtby Rooney's

52 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You also seem to think I've said all 4 goals were Bird's fault - I haven't - It's a collective responsibility - But the midfield cover is where we struggled most - And I still think he was super casual running chasing back the first goal

I was just trying to identify which of the goals you felt Bird didn't cover enough ground for. I concluded you were referring to only the 1st one, but to single Bird out for not covering enough ground when he covered more than anyone else on our side...? If Buchanan had done his job, he would have been the right side of his player and knocked the rebound out for a corner. If Wisdom had followed his man after the initial shot he may have been able to prevent the rebound or blocked it. If Byrne hadn't been sucked in, the ball wouldn't have been played to his man giving Bird the time to get back and put in the challenge. The criticism of Bird is harsh.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The ball fell to their DM, who should be Sibley's man. Rothwell Bird's and Holtby Rooney's

I've not seen any indication that we play a man marking system - If the guy picks up the ball on the edge of the box that's the DMs area to cover

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I was just trying to identify which of the goals you felt Bird didn't cover enough ground for. 

You're the one who brought up covering ground and distance run

I talked about the speed at which it was done

There's a collective responsibility for the team as a whole - Rooney was sloppy, the defence poorly organised, Buchanan woefully out of position and didn't race back quick enough - But Bird was also casual about his run back which was disappointing 

Archived