Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

26 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

The signings of Jozwiak and Ibe are excellent considering where we are as a club. I've stayed quiet for a while, watching all the bed-wetting and wrist slashing from a distance after 2 games. Finger crossed Jozwiak is fit and ok after the Luton game, because the potential with these 2 marauding down the wings is mouth watering. Fingers crossed now for that extra fire power up top and the defence to click!

Is that actually possible?!?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

With a sh *te defence it wouldn't supprise me. Concede goals like we have done first few games and we will be midtable at best.  We need a new left back and to ensure we have much better organisation and communication at the back 

Defenders don't play in a vacuum. Pretty tough to defend when the team in front of you doesn't keep the ball higher up the pitch and put the opposition under much pressure themselves.

Just now, Srg said:

Defenders don't play in a vacuum. Pretty tough to defend when the team in front of you doesn't keep the ball higher up the pitch and put the opposition under much pressure themselves.

We conceded a goal from a goal kick and a corner against Reading then against Luton a keeper mistake and a completely unmarked header, nothing to do with a lack of pressure on the ball or being penned back just poor positioning and reading of the situation. 

3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

We conceded a goal from a goal kick and a corner against Reading then against Luton a keeper mistake and a completely unmarked header, nothing to do with a lack of pressure on the ball or being penned back just poor positioning and reading of the situation. 

Again though, these things don't happen if you have the ball more and defenders don't have to 110% on it for 90+ minutes. This isn't the NFL where a play happens then it's blown dead and you re-line up and go again. Everything effects everything else.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Again though, these things don't happen if you have the ball more and defenders don't have to 110% on it for 90+ minutes. This isn't the NFL where a play happens then it's blown dead and you re-line up and go again. Everything effects everything else.

Even if you have 60% of the ball you can still concede 3 or 4 if you can't defend counters which we can't because we don't have enough pace at the back apart from Byrne, and if you don't do the basics right like defending set pieces and making sure there is good communication you will always concede a few no matter what. If we have more of the ball in the opposition half that will make us more vulnerable to counters, which is why we need to find a 2nd version of Byrne to play on the left. 

18 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

With a sh *te defence it wouldn't supprise me. Concede goals like we have done first few games and we will be midtable at best.  We need a new left back and to ensure we have much better organisation and communication at the back 

I don't agree we have a sh *te defence - it's a newly assembled one with 60% of it never having played together before. I wouldn't argue with getting a new LB in but it's not priority.

One of our problems has been a lack of presence across the front three and so little in the way of an out-ball from defence. The pressure returns on the back line far too quickly. The signing of Jozwiak and a match-fit Ibe, hopefully with the addition of a decent striker with the required skills will dramatically reduce that pressure on the defence and help get it bedded-in for the season.

Happy with this. Talent is there. Hopefully he can eventually return to near the form he was in just before he left. Could also see him here for the next 6 or 7 years if it works out. Don't think he'll be too eager to move on. 

Just need somebody to get on the end of all this creativity.

7 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Why did we sign te wierik and Clarke if they're sh *te?

Individually they aren't bad but not great either they're midtable defenders in my eyes ,  obviously as a unit we can't defend crosses and we also can't stop them. That is partly our left back spot being weak and also our wingers don't track back enough maKing us more vulnerable. Maybe in a few weeks we will look better but as of last season and the start of this season there is a lot to work on. For set pieces we need more communication in defence and if Bielik starts when he returns that will give us someone who can head balls away at the front post. 

30 minutes ago, Srg said:

If defenders did play in a vacuum there would be even more space at the back for attackers to run through and score, so just as well.

35 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

poo defence? 

So that would be a new keeper who hasn’t done much wrong (perhaps partially to blame for the first Reading goal but, show me a player who makes zero mistakes throughout a game), Byrne who we all seem pretty impressed with and Clarke - returning player of the season.

Archived