Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

34 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I've been very excited by this signing and was delighted to see he had signed this morning...however.

I really am genuinely sorry for having any negative thoughts about this, but I've just watched his interview. Compared to the Jordon Ibe we had in 2014/15, he looks like he has just returned from a 10 month 18-30s trip to Beunos Aires. 

Surprises me that someone who has been trying to secure a contract with a club hasnt kept himself in shape. I can kinda see why we have only given a 2 year deal.

I hope and pray he really does grasp this chance with both hands, listens to everything the conditioning team ask him to do and we see him in October ready to take the championship by storm. On his day he can be the best player in the championship, let's hope we see that player.

It IS a great signing and it has renewed my faith in the Club somewhat. I am very upbeat about it. I have to say though, I also thought the same as @MackworthRamIsGod. The guy seems quite "mentally tired". I really hope there is nothing underlying this presentation. He needs to get back to a football routine and get some early nights. It's great that he has a daughter to keep him grounded and I really hope the Club assigns Shane Nicholson as his mentor. Shane will help him work through any "residual issues" that he may be experiencing. 

We really do under-estimate the pressure that players like Jordon experience from being in the limelight at such a young age. Fingers crossed that coming back to a place that Jordon strongly associates with positive experiences will help him re-connect with football. We will see but this is the most positive Derby County signing for many a while in my book. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It IS a great signing and it has renewed my faith in the Club somewhat. I am very upbeat about it. I have to say though, I also thought the same as @MackworthRamIsGod. The guy seems quite "mentally tired". I really hope there is nothing underlying this presentation. He needs to get back to a football routine and get some early nights. It's great that he has a daughter to keep him grounded and I really hope the Club assigns Shane Nicholson as his mentor. Shane will help him work through any "residual issues" that he may be experiencing. 

We really do under-estimate the pressure that players like Jordon experience from being in the limelight at such a young age. Fingers crossed that coming back to a place that Jordon strongly associates with positive experiences will help him re-connect with football. We will see but this is the most positive Derby County signing for many a while in my book. 

The way I'm looking at this one is it's a low risk, high upside signing. We all know he has the talent it's just a case of if we can get him into the right place mentally. Fortunately as a club I think we do have the right environment for getting players back on track and I think he will be given time and patience.

Just as fans I wouldn't expect too much too soon, he needs time and to be eased into things.

48 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Surprises me that someone who has been trying to secure a contract with a club hasnt kept himself in shape.

Not seeing this at all. His instagram is littered with him working out, including topless if that's your thing, where you can clearly see he's in shape.

Really pleased this is done, we now have two very talented, quick, direct and young natural wingers that are Derby County players and not loanees being developed for others. 

Welcoming me back Jordan, looking forward to seeing you strut your stuff for us in the championship once again ??????????  COYR ??

Well done to everyone at DCFC for getting this done ????

We need to look at the whole team as work in progress (at the moment).

It probably won't be until we get everyone fit and available for selection and the new signings bedding in that team that they really start to show there true potential.

Patience lads patience.

Good things come to those who wait.

56 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Surprises me that someone who has been trying to secure a contract with a club hasnt kept himself in shape. I can kinda see why we have only given a 2 year deal.

It is very hard to maintain peak fitness by yourself. The players at the club have a team of sports scientists and nutritionists helping them, Jordon would have just been at home. 

He was also never going to be match fit after being a free agent, its not like he can organise 11 v 11 friendlies in his back garden. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not seeing this at all. His instagram is littered with him working out, including topless if that's your thing, where you can clearly see he's in shape.

Trust me, compared to me he is a fine figure of a man.

It might be that he has just genuinely filled out a bit as he has grown, it happens.

I'm still very excited by the signing and agree that this had the potential to be one of the best bits if business we have ever done.

If he has a season like we know he is capable of, we will either be a premier league club next season or he could fund next seasons transfer spend.

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I think he's just become a bit of a beef cake from working on his upper body alot and has probably hardly any body fat on him. May mean he is less agile than his leaner self but as long as he is still fast that won't be a problem. 

We got used to seeing the skinny 18 year old from six years ago He would almost certainly filled out a bit 

3 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

It is very hard to maintain peak fitness by yourself. The players at the club have a team of sports scientists and nutritionists helping them, Jordon would have just been at home. 

He was also never going to be match fit after being a free agent, its not like he can organise 11 v 11 friendlies in his back garden. 

You can be match fit without playing if you push yourself and do lots of sprints then recovery, sprint then recovery. Just need the right place to train. 

6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

His appearance and style reminds me of Traore of wolves, he's a player who can terrorise any defence. 

If our young Ibe has kept his pace whilst adding a bit of bulk and experience, then we will have a very exciting player to watch. 

I thought this myself and, if I remember rightly, Traore only really fulfilled his potential last season at 23/24

My theory for winning many games is that you have to entice mistakes, put the opposition under pressure and then pounce. A large proportion of our goals conceded come from mistakes, usually from breakaways, crosses or individual mishaps. At the other end, we seem to have to work ten times as hard to get chances, that when Chris Martin was here and playing with his back to goal there were never mistakes waiting to happen from defenders, they were never turned, ever. With playing 4-3-3 and two wingers, that usually entices mistakes, the centre forward should get more chances, opposition defences will be less settled and less likely now to just sit there and watch.

Slowly, this is becoming Cocu's team. Marshall, Byrne, Te Wierek, Clarke, Rooney, Joswiak and Ibe, plus probably Bielik. That's eight of them now and possibly a striker and a couple of loans to add. He's likely very happy with the crop of youngsters available. Very soon it is going to be the team that Cocu built and with players he is confident can go out and play the way he wants. I think we are nearly there now. 

I was in the skeptical camp over this signing, but now it’s happened I can say I actually find myself genuinely pleased he’s signed, football eh? 
I can relate to the mental health struggles and I really hope he’s turned a corner and the club supports him as best they can. 

I also hope all the gammons on Twitter get blocked quick-sharp because he’s not going to hit the ground running and will need time to be match sharp. 

Really pleased with this. I hope the club are giving him a mentor and sending him to regular therapy/counselling so he stays in a good place with his mental health,and i really hope when fit, he hits the ground running - for the team and his own happiness. 

Archived