v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts- 

1) Lots of advantages to having a great academy and young players. One of the disadvantages is they lack physical presence and are too easily beaten in 50/50s. I like Whittaker a great deal, but think he could benefit from a Cristiano Ronaldo type gym regime.

2) Why did Owen Bradley say at 0-0, that the last time Derby lost their first game of the season was 2008? I’d have called the defeat at that point. But I’m not superstitious.

3) Rooney without beard. He is like Samson when he had his hair chopped off. He’s lost his powers. He stood out previously as he could pass a ball to another Derby player. 

4) I still say we haven’t replaced Will Hughes. We had a little experience of nearly doing so when we had Mounts creativity. But, no we haven’t. 

5) Our players when in possession, when in front of someone with the ball are averse to running and finding space. We like to go backwards, and we really like to get the ball back to our keeper. Marshall, Roos or Hamer. No matter. The best sides run themselves silly when in possession finding space and options.

Cocu knows all this. Well maybe not the one about Owen Bradley. And, possibly the one about Rooney lacking a beard. I look forward to seeing what signings we make in the coming day’s and getting Lawrence back in particular.

A basic summary of the thread 

Do the majority think we were rubbish today? Yes

Do the the majority think we will be better when the injured players and signings come in? Yes

Is the majority frustrated by Cocu’s tactics and style of play? I’d say so although a few seem satisfied with it.

When the signings are made and injured players are back do the majority think we can get a playoff place? Probably split ( I think maybe at a push).

Overall the reactions are fairly tame compared to some of the stuff other Managers have had (not necessarily a good or bad thing) in recent years.

cant get away from the fact that the two goals we conceded (although we were outplayed overall) were training/coaching issues - the first from the corner with Joao not tracked and the second just a long kick from the keeper. This is down to management and Cocu needs to address this not stand around chatting at 60 minutes with his hands in his pockets. 

20 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Can't stand this pathetic assesssment.

This individual didn't want any of the above apart from McClaren & here he is with his snidey digs on behalf of managers he couldnt stand. 

Lose a game, lose any perspective. Ridiculous.

You’ve got me confused with someone else duck. Show me where i either didn’t want or couldnt stand any manager since Nigel Clough. 

@EatonramI think we are all a little concerned but as fans we are polarised ..... there are those who are concerned but appreciate the situation that the club and the manager find themselves in and are therefore prepared to give them time and then there are those that appear to expect immediate success, know far more than the chairman when it comes to running a football club, know far more than the manager when it comes to the team selection & tactics and are simply happy to whinge & whine about everything concerning DCFC. Not sure why some bother. 

22 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

The signs have been there for some time and the SIGNINGS haven’t (see what I did there).

I understand a frustration with the tactics, particularly when we’re so keen to pass amongst ourselves to the point of complete predictability but there’s no athleticism or pace in the team on any real level. There is only so much you can do when you’re so unbalanced, I would have much preferred a more pragmatic set up today and gone for a result over a performance but I’m not going to bury players off the back of today’s game.

For example, Marriott was shocking (and has been for a while) but I think most strikers in this league would have been in that team today. I think if you dropped Lawrence and Jozniak in there, the team and Marriott would have played much better.

If we’re still playing like this in December/January I’ll be tempted to bury Cocu but I’m not putting as much stock into the project restart performances and today’s game.

It's not just the tactics. It's the overall lack of strategic planning, organisation and decision making from key figures at the club that compounds matters and makes games like today both frustrating and painfully predictable.

Pre season was a mess. Kids in the under 18s were getting more minutes than first team regulars. No partnerships or semblance of team structure was developed. Three at the back was trialled when we should have stuck with our primary system and worked on making it more effective and developing tempo.

OK, we are still waiting on signings in attacking areas. But let's be honest, the moment Martin's contract negotiations broke down, we should have made attacking players the first priority. With Lawrence already nursing an injury at that point, we were missing two players who contributed to over 30 goals last season.

We were left with Waghorn and Marriott. Anyone who has watched Marriott in the last nine months knows he hasn't looked right since Lampard left and cannot be relied upon. So effectively we were down to just Waghorn as a reliable, dependable option. He gets injured and boom, the perfect storm.

Yes, the embargo would have complicated matters. One in, one out. The poor financial situation too. But could we have focused on signing two attacking players and closed deals for Marshall and Clarke, for example, later in the window?

Marshall, Clarke, Te Wierik and Byrne are smart additions, but could we have held fire on them and focused on our attack? The lack of goals, creativity, and intensity has been evident for months and should have been addressed as quickly as possible.

No-one has buried Cocu or the players, but you can understand the frustration. Back in July, we were well beaten by the cream of the division and it should have been a wake up call. But we've just meandered along. Today we were beaten by a Reading side that will be mid-table at best and as it stands, can't even go into Luton away with any confidence.

Having concern is perfectly understandable, and not an overreaction at all. This has been bubbling away for months.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

cant get away from the fact that the two goals we conceded (although we were outplayed overall) were training/coaching issues - the first from the corner with Joao not tracked and the second just a long kick from the keeper. This is down to management and Cocu needs to address this not stand around chatting at 60 minutes with his hands in his pockets. 

Cocu did address the second thing. He took Wisdom off.

The first point can't be addressed from the sideline, regardless of whether has has his hands in his pockets or not.

Big Cocu fan... But lots of 'its the first day of the season' stuff.... 

Surely that's the point? It's the first game of the season and we were slow, diffident, negative and downright poor.  Every right to moan if the promise and effort wasn't really there. 

Its like going on a first date and her turning up with no makeup and in her tracksuit, saying 'well you ain't coming back first date anyway'... At least make it look like you got prepared even if everything isn't on offer for a few more weeks. 

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

You’ve got me confused with someone else duck. Show me where i either didn’t want or couldnt stand any manager since Nigel Clough. 

Mostyn, I know & we all know you're an ashamed McClaren fan. No disgrace in that..offer it to @RoyMac5 or @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong and im sure they'd snap your hand off also.

What irks me is (and where you differ from the above posters) is the pretend concern/disgust when you had very little time for Cocu anyway. I remember you openly wanting 'Mel to get rid' around New Year (i may struggle to quote given the amount of posts but I will ask @David if i have to).

Its fine to criticise. I would not have started with Wisdom & Forsyth at full backs today for example. ..too negative. But we need a manager to make mistakes & also realise the fruits of a bloody long transfer window (his first proper one dont forget now we know about the soft transfer embargo). Jozwiak & a proper centre forward makes this team top 6.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

First goal was poor/no marking but even so should have been easily blocked on the line by Knight, who seemed to move away from the ball. Second goal was Wisdom making a complete balls up of it with his positioning and standing in no mans land while their goalscorer - that isn't something he'd have been told to do tactically.

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Cocu did address the second thing. He took Wisdom off.

The first point can't be addressed from the sideline, regardless of whether has has his hands in his pockets or not.

the first point does not need addressing retrospectively but in preparation this is straightforward stuff. I would suggest the second is also down to planning and coaching - how to defend a long ball. Is there a sense of urgency or inspiration you can see

As Pythagoras would have said, it's all in the triangles.

Quite a few times today I saw the player with the ball hold out his hands in frustration because there was no movement. The very basic point is that it is the job of those that don't have the ball to be available to the person who has it. We are simply not very good at that at all.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Its like going on a first date and her turning up with no makeup and in her tracksuit, saying 'well you ain't coming back first date anyway'... At least make it look like you got prepared even if everything isn't on offer for a few more weeks. 

It's all about opinions, but if I turn up and she's wearing trackies with Ugg boots, I'm defo on for going back that night. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Do you think they were told not to run at players if it's the managers responsibility?

The manager sets us up in such a way that we don't run in behind the opposition defence, we play everything in front of them making it easy to defend. Doesn't mean the players aren't capable of running, we just don't play that way and I can't understand why.

2 hours ago, Orphanram said:

It’s the first time I’ve thought Knight, Bird and Sibley look like kids from the academy plugging gaps

These young kids will have off days and it will be good management to know when to take them out ...missed Lawrence today but we desperately needs quality CF ...Jaio was superb for them today ...I’ve questioned why we didn’t go for Ejaria at 3.5m is a bargain but after having a dig around it became obvious he is apparently bad news as a person ...pity when we signed Charlie George he was supposed to be trouble and look how that turned out ...

Archived