v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

Predictable.

We knew before the game that, with the injuries, it would be difficult for us to create anything in this game. So it proved.

We also knew that, despite that, the Cocu "doubters" would be out in force. So it is being proven.

One final thought, much as I am excited by the youngsters breaking into the team, today showed how much we need proven, experienced quality.

I'm not sure that Knight, Sibley and Whitaker are yet ready enough for all three to be starting. And, yes, I appreciate that, out of necessity, Sibley is playing out of position.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jono said:

Genius comment ..like let’s pop down to Sainsbury’s while they are closed and pick up Michelin star dinner.

transfer embargo, restricted funds, legal action hanging over club .. yeah they had loads of time to panic buy some quality.

I'm sick to death of people like you talking sensibly, rationally analyzing a situation and not overreacting.

What the hell is wrong with you man?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

The pace and power of a team isn't solely down to the training regime. Two people on the same regime will not be the same in every athletic area. 

The fact is that we lack any powerful athletes, and some teams, Reading included, have quite a few. None of our lads are tired, and most of them don't look particularly tired at the end of games. They're all fit, they're just not explosive. 

55 minutes ago, sage said:

We simply didn't have enough quality and fitness on the pitch.

As players come back from injury and we sign people we will improve.

We will have to be patient though.

44 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Missed intelligence again today, especially in midfield and up top.....

This, this and this!

There were plenty of opportunities there for us if we had any players with a physical presence, pace or speed of thought to make something of the opportunity, and if they had you'd be calling what happened before it patient build up play. Because those opportunities to create something only resulted in us giving the ball away and not actually creating a chance on goal they're completely disregarded as if they didn't happen.

If people really thought we intentionally spent the game simply passing it backwards and sidewards they clearly weren't watching very closely, or they'd already made up their mind.

We tried to play a little higher up the pitch today, for a 15-20 minute spell in the first half we were winning the ball off them in midfield through our players closing them down well, we got into some good situations and forced a few corners... but we had no quality! If we'd have scored in that period of the game it wouldnt have been against the run of play.

"Up the tempo!   Yes, we would, but that requires players to actually have the ability to react to situatons a lot quicker than our current crop of forwards, but every time we get the ball in a good situation we see terrible decision making, crap crosses and weak hold up play result in the ball coming straight back at us, or over us for a counter attack, the quicker we get it forward with these players the more likely we are to concede on the counter!

How many terrible decisions did we make in the final 3rd today? A poo tonne is the answer. The way some people viewed the game you'd think we never even made it into Reading's half.

Ejaria & Jaoa are streets ahead of anything we have in the squad (John Swift would be a big improvement on what we have too) - when the ball reaches either of those players they don't just lose the ball because someone's marking them, they don't get the ball and run into the nearest defender and hold their hands up asking where the passing options, they keep the bloody ball and make something out of the situation.

It's impossible to play the football people want / expect us to play with what we have.

51 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

The club must have known that Lawrence and Waghorn would be injured for the start of the season but did not move quick enough to address this in the market

We were under a soft embargo for most of the brief break and in current climate may have had to sell first. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

He's been our best player what are you watching 

Really ? 

duck me were scraping the barrel arnt we

he’s run forward with the ball... Into a few blind alleys and had a couple of pot shots that I could have thrown my hat on 

I Reiterate again .. he’s not alone far from it but he’s been poor today like most 

11 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Lawrence

Waghorn

Holmes

Jozniak (all but confirmed)

The winger and striker we’re supposedly bringing in

That’s six attacking players missing from the squad. If this had been a regular summer with a regular transfer window, they likely would have all been available today. Circumstances are bad enough as it is with COVID but you add the soft embargo on top of that and we’ve basically started the season with half the team missing.

No wonder we haven’t scored.

3 players

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

This, this and this!

There plenty of opportunities there for us if we had any players with a physical presence, pace or speed of thought to make something of the opportunity, and if they had you'd be calling what happened before it patient build up play. Because those opportunities to create something only resulted in us giving the ball away and not actually creating a chance on goal they're completely disregarded as if they didn't happen.

If people really thought we intentionally spent the game simply passing it backwards and sidewards they clearly weren't watching very closely, or they'd already made up their mind.

We tried to play a little higher up the pitch today, for a 15-20 minute spell in the first half we were winning the ball off them in midfield through our players closing them down well, we got into some good situations and forced a few corners... but we had no quality! If we'd have scored in that period of the game it wouldnt have been against the run of play.

"Up the tempo!   Yes, we would, but that requires players to actually have the ability to react to situatons a lot quicker than our current crop of forwards, but every time we get the ball in a good situation we see terrible decision making, crap crosses and weak hold up play result in the ball coming straight back at us, or over us for a counter attack, the quicker we get it forward with these players the more likely we are to concede on the counter!

Ejaria & Jaoa are streets ahead of anything we have in the squad (John Swift would be a big improvement on what we have too) - when the ball reaches either of those players they don't just lose the ball because someone's marking them, they don't get the ball and run into the nearest defender and hold their hands up asking where the passing options, they keep the bloody ball and make something out of the situation.

It's impossible to play the football people want / expect us to play with what we have.

Boll***ks. Bielsa with Leeds played with way more tempo, and when he arrived it was pretty much the qame squad that the previuos manager had (with a lot of the fans writing off most of their underperforming players such as Klich for example), so I don't buy your argument.

On 09/09/2020 at 00:22, Ambitious said:

I'm extremely positive we lose this game, possibly quite comfortably. We're hobbling into the game, with god knows who available to play. I would say a worst case scenario: Lawrence, Rooney and Waghorn all unavailable. Wisdom unable to play a full game, possibly Holmes too. I would say that no new signings will be starting, regardless, now.

I'll go same team as above: 

As for the bench, who do we even have? Wisdom and Holmes could be good for a spot on the bench. I'd imagine we could see Shonibare back on the bench. It's going to be a tough game. 

I’ll stick by this. I thought Reading were a lot better than any other team I’ve seen so far this season: Watford, Boro, Brentford and Birmingham looked more similar to us than Reading. 

I’m not overly worried. It could be worth getting a few pennies on Reading winning promotion though. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

A selection of Cocu's post-match comments, from Derby's twitter:

'I was very upset at half-time. We didn’t have any tempo. We were getting on the ball deeper and deeper, and we only have ourselves to blame. If you don’t play like you can, the consequences are that you are two goals behind at half-time.'

Echoing what a lot of posters are moaning about on this forum. This might be a controversial opinion here but dare I suggest that Cocu doesn't set the team up with the intent of performing like they did today? I'm sure he's aware more than anyone on this forum that today wasn't good enough.

Personally I'm holding off on criticising the manager when he's forced to field a League One/Two level frontline due to injuries and transfer constraints. When we have a couple more bodies in, Lawrence, Waghorn and Holmes fit, then we can fairly judge the manager. Until then slagging Cocu off just comes across as 'Dutch man bad' more than anything else.

1 minute ago, DanS1992 said:

Boll***ks. Bielsa with Leeds played with way more tempo, and when he arrived it was pretty much the qame squad that the previuos manager had (with a lot of the fans writing off most of their underperforming players such as Klich for example), so I don't buy your argument.

You nailed it. They had previously been underperforming. Nevertheless they were/are better quality than we currently have available.

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Really ? 

duck me were scraping the barrel arnt we

he’s run forward with the ball... Into a few blind alleys and had a couple of pot shots that I could have thrown my hat on 

I Reiterate again .. he’s not alone far from it but he’s been poor today like most 

I was longing for Bennett it was that bad

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

See Marriotts the whipping boy today.  I remember Martin getting pelters after the Burton game -  too slow, no interest etc because we weren't playing to his strengths. He looked totally exasperated and clearly wanted to get away.  At Fulham he did a decent job. If we play the ball behind the defender for for him to run on too he was useless.  Same with Marriott being asked to play hold up. If Bird and Sibley in particular could lose there marker, find some space and get it forward quicker maybe he would be able to find space to run into.  As it is, two 6 ft 4 defenders can just stand on him all game.  

Rooney did bugger all when he came on either and that was with two up top.  Shows how difficult it is up top on your own with this truly static midfield and no wide players.

It's not just his lack of service though,when he had the ball he either miss kicked it,fell over it or whacked it fifty feet into the air.

He's pretty bad at the minute and I hope he can improve as we have no one else.

13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Any sign of Cocu's post match  interview yet?

Some mumbling about being scared for 20 minutes, then we were much better apparently.  There goal from the corner changed the game as well. We had 7 and did nothing with them.  Won't be any surprises with incomings by the sound of it.

Not much else

Archived