v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DRBee said:

Cocu's sterile tactics and low ambition  ( one goal will do) are coming home to roost. Why do the players not move the ball quicker or show more aggression to close down the opposition ? God knows , but when Cocu's complains about this it is as though he has no   responsibility for it. The warning signs were there in the last few games last season. the football we play at the moment is horrible.

Ambition?  For someone with incredible managerial skills why is he with us?  Just don’t get the love in.  Is he trying hard enough or just bobbing along?

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It is a two nil defeat with 45 games to go. Reading probably not a top six rival. We will soon have a better squad than last year and we can give the top six a shot if we gel. Cocu is targeting a top six place. I am getting things in a better perspective now. Experienced goalkeeper and a settled defence on the way. We have a reasonable midfield on paper. We need two offensive players and to avoid major injuries. Interesting to see who is fit for Luton. Nonetheless it was a pretty dire performance today. COYR

If the 'yet to be seen' two strikers can score one more than the oppo, we should do OK, but otherwise forget ever keeping a clean sheet with a defence that moves slower than the Brexit negotiations.

14 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Because Warnock is boorish, he'll sort stuff out better than someone with a more technical approach? You may be right. It sums up English football perfectly.

There's a scene in Casablanca where Captain Renault explains to Rick that his men were particularly destructive in their search of his cafe because, 'You know how that impresses Germans.' Perhaps the same can be said about football managers in England. Screaming and shouting like a banker on the sideline impresses English fans and players.

You've again totally taken my quote out of context and used words in your reply as though they were a quote from my original post. Where did I use the word boorish?

Just because someone can organise or motivate a team which is one of the key attributes of any manager then how have you then made it into a sleight? The sleight if appropriate to be used at all would be far more apt to be levelled at a manager who can't instill this in their team.

Whatever techniques are required to facilitate this is another subject entirely, you for some reason have landed on the hairdryer treatment as the default position. Quite frankly whatever method Cocu is using at the moment patently isn't working given our continued propensity to ship sloppy goals so he urgently needs to start looking at alternative ways.   

19 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Because Warnock is boorish, he'll sort stuff out better than someone with a more technical approach? You may be right. It sums up English football perfectly.

Whether he really is boorish or not isn't the point. The point is he understands what it takes and takes clubs up. Now it doesn't have to be Warnock, but our manager has to understand what it takes.

Let's be honest when the window is shut and we have the signings in and players back from injury. How many of those players that played today will be playing regularly?

Marshall, Byrne, Te Weirik, Clarke, Bird. I think will be mainstays. Pretty much on the team sheet every week. The rest I don't think will at all. 

Even Sibley. I'm not knocking him in the slightest. He's such a talent. But I think if we had any other options he would have been taken out of the team for a bit. He's not really performing. He's young. Its to be expected. Such a big ask for him to play well every week. Young players need bedding in. 

I think we know a winger and a striker are coming in. Striker we have no idea on. But when we have everyone fit I'd like to see something like this:- 

Marshall

Byrne. Te Weirik. Clarke. Buchanan

Bielik. Bird

Holmes

Jozwiak.      Marriott.   Lawrence

You could alternate Holmes and Sibley even play Rooney there in games. I like a fully fit Holmes as the attacking midfielder. I think he's pretty much the only one we've got. Its an area I'd look to strengthen if we could. Same with LB. We really could do with a LB. To go in with Forsyth who's nowhere near good enough. Injuries he's had have taken their toll and the. Buchanan who looks promising but is completely unproven. Just seems too risky to me. I mean there were people saying we didn't need a RB because we had Wisdom and Ebosele. Which when you look back is madness. Its the exact same at LB. 

For me winger, striker, LB is a must. Then in an ideal world we'd bring an attacking midfielder in as well on loan.

This is a big season games coming thick and fast. We need a big squad and not to expect these youngsters are going to be good enough. Its very rare to bring academy players through who are good enough to play in the Championship and it's even rarer to bring through players that are extremely good. So to bring 5 through at once is nigh on impossible.

And imo. Bird is exceptional. A once every 10 years player. Sibley has potential and has shown glimpses. But more than good enough. Knight is ok. But not quite there yet for me. I don't know what he is. Midfielder? Cos he's not a winger. Whittaker was ok today don't get me wrong. But he's nowhere near ready for this level of football yet. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

You've again totally taken my quote out of context and used words in your reply as though they were a quote from my original post. Where did I use the word boorish?

Just because someone can organise or motivate a team which is one of the key attributes of any manager then how have you then made it into a sleight? The sleight if appropriate to be used at all would be far more apt to be levelled at a manager who can't instill this in their team.

Whatever techniques are required to facilitate this is another subject entirely, you for some reason have landed on the hairdryer treatment as the default position. Quite frankly whatever method Cocu is using at the moment patently isn't working given our continued propensity to ship sloppy goals so he urgently needs to start looking at alternative ways.   

You didn't use the word 'boorish'. I did. Because he is. It's the way he behaves. You seem impressed by that, although I have to say, there's no evidence yet that Warnock is able to 'motivate' his team to not let in goals from corners. I mean, they did so yesterday, so he clearly didn't motivate them in preseason.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whether he really is boorish or not isn't the point. The point is he understands what it takes and takes clubs up. Now it doesn't have to be Warnock, but our manager has to understand what it takes.

He also has to understand some fans, me being one,  will be reluctant to part with a tenner to watch insipid football. 

18 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It is a two nil defeat with 45 games to go. Reading probably not a top six rival. We will soon have a better squad than last year and we can give the top six a shot if we gel. Cocu is targeting a top six place. I am getting things in a better perspective now. Experienced goalkeeper and a settled defence on the way. We have a reasonable midfield on paper. We need two offensive players and to avoid major injuries. Interesting to see who is fit for Luton. Nonetheless it was a pretty dire performance today. COYR

RIVAL? ?

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You didn't use the word 'boorish'. I did. Because he is. It's the way he behaves. You seem impressed by that, although I have to say, there's no evidence yet that Warnock is able to 'motivate' his team to not let in goals from corners. I mean, they did so yesterday, so he clearly didn't motivate them in preseason.

For the avoidance of doubt to put this to bed I'm not impressed by someone with a boorish personality.

I am far more impressed however by someone who can organise and motivate their team and get them playing to a system which maximises their collective potential. In respect of this Cocu has a great way to go in this department. I sincerely hope he is up to the job. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

It's not being Captain Hindsight though, is it? You might not like or agree with my opinion. But the one thing it has been for weeks and months is consistent - about Cocu, the club, and us being in for a tough season.

Some say I'm negative, but I think it's unfair when you actually look at what is unfolding before us. It's probably fairer to say I'm just being realistic.

The one thing I'll give you though, I didn't think it would be quite so bad. Not laying a glove on a League Two side in the Carabao Cup and now losing meekly at home on the opening day. It's actually worse.

These were supposed to be our easier, kinder, confidence boosting fixtures before a tough October, after all...

We’ll see, mate. I just think there’s no point whingeing about it

The club is finally being sensible and spending money sensibly and producing youth 

If that means we finish 15th, so be it 

I think we’ll improve though and finish top 10

Jumping into Panic mode and saying “I knew all along what they’ve done was wrong” after one game is a bit silly in my opinion though 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

For the avoidance of doubt to out this to bed I'm not impressed by someone with a boorish personality.

I am far more impressed however by someone who can organise and motivate their team and get them playing to a system which maximises their collective potential. In respect of this Cocu has a great way to go in this department. I sincerely hope he is up to the job. 

He does indeed have a long way to go. I found myself today asking myself what the plan was. I mean tactically in the long run. I can't see what the team is working towards, what he is trying to get the players to do. Are they working on moving it faster, moving into space off the ball, making themselves available to receive the ball? etc etc.

I am just hoping that just because I can't see that there's a plan, it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Archived