v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s definitely some truth in the comments that we are too slow and predictable!

That said I believe the management are aware of this as it’s been mentioned a number of times by Cocu and his staff.

That said it isn’t translating into performances. Where do the issues lie? I think some is the personnel, some may be the philosophy and an inability for the players to take it on.

I also think there’s a strange inertia that has been at the club since Mac 2 we’ve had a number of players come in and look a shadow of their former selves over the last 4-5 years. What the reason for this is I don’t know.

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

He doesn't play to Marriott's strengths. We don't run at teams or play the ball through the opposition back line. We just constantly pass it around slowly. This is simply unacceptable. It's boring, safe, possession football recycling the ball to no effect. We lack a collective attacking mentality and show no signs of moving through the gears. Woeful.

Who do we have that is fit and available that can "run at teams" or even accurately "pass the ball through the back line"?

I want us to play like that but we need the players to be able to do it. It seems to me - that finances allowing - Cocu and the club are trying to bring them in.

We knew that wouldn't happen in time for today.

Well we left the teeth in the jar at the side of the bed for this one. Very lacklustre, and hardly any threat.

However, I know Cocu seems to love winning the possession stats, which makes us duller than a dull thing, but for the second season in a row we have been royally screwed over for pre-season. I wasn't aware till late on that there was a soft transfer embargo against us whilst the EFL made sure all the toys had departed the pram. So not only did no-one want to sign for us with the threat of points deduction s hanging over us, but even if they did, we couldn't sign them until the judgement had been issued. So to end up with the signings we have done is actually quite an achievement.

A positive from today was that was Morgan Whitaker, who seems to have a bit more about him, and has benefitted from gym work. It is also comforting to know the defenders can play the ball out of danger at the back. The fact that they don't seem to now what to do with it when they get out is a shame. 

Marriott didn't do much because he is being played in the wrong position and being asked to play the wrong role, and he is getting virtually no service. What a shame - it seems his confidence is suffering because this has been happening to him for ages now. But the biggest problem is that our strikers fall asleep waiting for the ball to be played up to them. It is soooooo slooowwwww. When a team allegedly plays a passing-based game, it needs to be a passing that pings the ball from man to man - a bit like Reading did. In the end we were undone by two bits of poor defending by Andre Wisdom who let his man get away for both goals.

In the end 2 - 0 was a fair score, and given that we look like we haven't had a pre-season, that there are players to come back in , and some signings still to be made, there is hope. 

Put those razor blades away, please.

6 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

One of the biggest overreactions I’ve seen on here in my time. 

First day of the season and half a team available, this very obviously isn’t what is going to be served up for the rest of the year. We’re paying the price for not getting our business done earlier but what can we do when the EFL has us under a soft embargo for no good reason? 

I get that was a truly awful performance, we cant all just be happy clappy and pretend it never happened but I just cant bring myself to self flagellate the way some of you lot are!

We were absolutely class on the opening day of last season and won fairly easily. Ended up being crap for the rest of the season. I don’t have anything particularly unique to say here, just don’t get too high or low off early season form.

You do have a point however, a lot of comments are based on the performance we have all just seen which, is fair enough.

If we put in a stellar performance against Luton next week and win handsomely (I live in hope), we'll be singing their praises.

That doesn't mean we're being fickle, we just commenting on the latest game. 

36 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

The club must have known that Lawrence and Waghorn would be injured for the start of the season but did not move quick enough to address this in the market

Genius comment ..like let’s pop down to Sainsbury’s while they are closed and pick up Michelin star dinner.

transfer embargo, restricted funds, legal action hanging over club .. yeah they had loads of time to panic buy some quality.

I said at the end of last season that my biggest hope this season was that we would play at a faster tempo. Pass the ball quicker, press more, show much more intensity and put other teams under pressure. Can anyone explain to me what the aim of this style of play is? What do we hope to achieve from it? I watch a lot of football and I haven’t seen any other team, in the top two divisions at least, play so slowly. Other than bore the other team in to submission I just can’t understand it. Anyone else know?

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I get your point. But this isn’t just one game. This started with Forest at home back in July, continued through pre season and up to now.

The signs have been there for some time.

The signs have been there for some time and the SIGNINGS haven’t (see what I did there).

I understand a frustration with the tactics, particularly when we’re so keen to pass amongst ourselves to the point of complete predictability but there’s no athleticism or pace in the team on any real level. There is only so much you can do when you’re so unbalanced, I would have much preferred a more pragmatic set up today and gone for a result over a performance but I’m not going to bury players off the back of today’s game.

For example, Marriott was shocking (and has been for a while) but I think most strikers in this league would have been in that team today. I think if you dropped Lawrence and Jozniak in there, the team and Marriott would have played much better.

If we’re still playing like this in December/January I’ll be tempted to bury Cocu but I’m not putting as much stock into the project restart performances and today’s game.

See Marriotts the whipping boy today.  I remember Martin getting pelters after the Burton game -  too slow, no interest etc because we weren't playing to his strengths. He looked totally exasperated and clearly wanted to get away.  At Fulham he did a decent job. If we play the ball behind the defender for for him to run on too he was useless.  Same with Marriott being asked to play hold up. If Bird and Sibley in particular could lose there marker, find some space and get it forward quicker maybe he would be able to find space to run into.  As it is, two 6 ft 4 defenders can just stand on him all game.  

Rooney did bugger all when he came on either and that was with two up top.  Shows how difficult it is up top on your own with this truly static midfield and no wide players.

9 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Half a team available? 

Lawrence

Waghorn

Holmes

Jozniak (all but confirmed)

The winger and striker we’re supposedly bringing in

That’s six attacking players missing from the squad. If this had been a regular summer with a regular transfer window, they likely would have all been available today. Circumstances are bad enough as it is with COVID but you add the soft embargo on top of that and we’ve basically started the season with half the team missing.

No wonder we haven’t scored.

A selection of Cocu's post-match comments, from Derby's twitter:

"The result was very disappointing. We have to take a look at ourselves. The first 35 minutes of our performance is something we can’t accept."
"I was very upset at half-time. We didn’t have any tempo. We were getting on the ball deeper and deeper, and we only have ourselves to blame. If you don’t play like you can, the consequences are that you are two goals behind at half-time."

"We used Wayne Rooney in a different role, and he was happy to be back. Hopefully he’ll progress more in the next week. He didn’t train much this week, so 30 minutes was the maximum for him today. After the game he didn’t have any problems, which is positive."

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

(I live in hope). 

I was poo at football but I did score a goal once in a 7-0 win for Bakewell over Hope

Were you at the game?

It was for the Under 15s in about 1976 and it was the famous game where they ran out of half time oranges.

I scored the 6th, a rasping tap in from 2 yards out after tripping over my own laces.

Jack tried to recreate it today, but he was too far out and clearly had consumed citrus. 

Archived