Whittaker

TuffLuff

21 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

What made me up, was the genuine delight on the other academy lads faces, they know he has the talent.

Unlike Sibley or Bird, because of others in front of him, he’s going to have to be more patient and I think he’s probably going to be a slow burner but I’ve a feeling he’ll get there, his advantage will be gelling with Bird, Sibley and Knight, they already have an understanding, that was clear from his deft lay off for the 3rd to Sibley.

These lads are being managed, coached and mentored by Phillip Cocu and Wayne Rooney. Two of the greatest players of all time bringing Derby's kids through........

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sage said:

This is the main issue. He plays in a position where defenders will try to physically dominate/intimidate you. I hope this gives him some confidence and like the other poster I was more impressed by the assist than by the goal.

He needs to get on the weights and protein shakes. 

Yup, look how much it benefited Will Hughes’ game once he put on a few pounds. He used to bounce off defenders and ended up barging a Unit of a West Ham defender (think it was James Collins,  over the advertising boards 

now plays regular prem football

Absolutely outstanding contribution off the bench by the lad today. Worked extremely hard and deserved the bit of luck that finally got him his first senior goal. Personally I wonder whether he was just really short on confidence up to this point. Once he got the goal he seemed to move up a gear - the run, turn and pass for his assist was absolutely exquisite. Think he’s finally showed what he’s capable of tonight. It’s a shame the confidence boosting goal didn’t come earlier than the last game of the season. He’ll be devastated he’s not got a run of games to build up his form now, but it’ll put him in good stead for next season. 

I think a few may have been a bit too quick to write him off/ over-criticise him. He’s had a lot of appearances but very few minutes across those appearances. He needs a proper run in the team before we can establish how good he is imo.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

These lads are being managed, coached and mentored by Phillip Cocu and Wayne Rooney. Two of the greatest players of all time bringing Derby's kids through........

Don't get carried away, Utch. We've had former players of similar ilk in our coaching staff who couldn't make it happen. The genius of Billy Davies and Ned Kelly never got the best out of Giles Barnes and Arturo Lupoli.

I think I remember right that Thierry Henry took a while to get going at Arsenal and while I’m not suggesting that Morgan is likely to be at that standard perhaps there are a group of players who just take longer than others to settle in. Thierry was worth waiting for. Maybe Morgan will be too

21 hours ago, Zag zig said:

What made me up, was the genuine delight on the other academy lads faces, they know he has the talent.

Unlike Sibley or Bird, because of others in front of him, he’s going to have to be more patient and I think he’s probably going to be a slow burner but I’ve a feeling he’ll get there, his advantage will be gelling with Bird, Sibley and Knight, they already have an understanding, that was clear from his deft lay off for the 3rd to Sibley.

These young players have played a lot together so there is understanding between them. It makes it easier to fit into the dressing room, the squad and the team. Cocu knows a good young player when he sees one. No Rams fan thought that Bogle, Sibley, Knight and Bird would make this level of progress this quickly.

22 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

No he really did. Like nyatanga. Just lacking a bit of devilment edge whatever. Sisley has it.  Bird is getting there. It’s his turn. 

It's funny how you went from saying he 'looked like' he lacked heart to being certain he did when somebody challenged your opinion.

An outward show of emotion rarely means much.

For every Dave Mackay there is Bobby Moore.

And for every Billy Davies there is a Phillip Cocu.

Watched a lot of Whittaker in the U23s at Loughborough. Can’t deny his raw potential playing anywhere in the front line and even in midfield at times but does lack some physicality even at that level up against stronger players. No doubt if he bulks up his talent can make him a starter in the first team, hopefully later next season. 

The feint in the assist was excellent, keeps the defenders guessing and buys time for Sibley.

Agree with everything being said on here, needs more and more playing time because not only is he talented but he could be the answer at RW that we’ve been looking for. Needs to continue learning the position though.

Also a fan of his weirdly long neck, makes him look like a dinosaur and will hopefully help him win headers.

He is still very raw. My jury is still out. He needs to bulk up a fair bit and having seen him 4 times now, I’m not sure what his position is. The difference between a good under 23 and a full pro is what exists between the ears. I’m not trying to p on his pomme frittes but I don’t yet see a future regular player. I might be wrong.   I was once. Allegedly. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

He is still very raw. My jury is still out. He needs to bulk up a fair bit and having seen him 4 times now, I’m not sure what his position is. The difference between a good under 23 and a full pro is what exists between the ears. I’m not trying to p on his pomme frittes but I don’t yet see a future regular player. I might be wrong.   I was once. Allegedly. 

He hasn’t pulled any trees up like Sibley but give him some time Mason Bennett had long enough. May be not that long though.

47 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Agreed - he should have buried his first opportunity last night but hit a tame shot towards the centre of the goal. His header was a natural instinct (fair play) and coupled with Lee Camp being their GK that helped.

He suddenly had confidence, that was obvious afterwards but it wasn’t a proper assist which ‘made a goal’. 

I still want to see him loaned out, and bulk up. He looks like he is social distancing on the pitch!

He has got something. There is a touch of quality about him

Whittaker is a central striker, possibly a striker who would drop off like Chris Martin as he doesn’t have a lot of pace.
 In the old days he would be one of a strike pair, and the way he linked with sibley shows how that would work.
Unfortunately the set up with only one striker means he often gets played out of position. 
maybe cocu - like bielsa - wants players to be able to play a variety of positions. 

It’s a thin line between success - knight and Sibley - and failure - elsnik and Vernam.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Agreed - he should have buried his first opportunity last night but hit a tame shot towards the centre of the goal. His header was a natural instinct (fair play) and coupled with Lee Camp being their GK that helped.

He suddenly had confidence, that was obvious afterwards but it wasn’t a proper assist which ‘made a goal’. 

I still want to see him loaned out, and bulk up. He looks like he is social distancing on the pitch!

What is a “ proper assist “ then please enlighten us ? 

Archived