Whittaker

TuffLuff

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think he was 18 when signing on loan with us

thanks for correcting me, my point was/is that without competitive football, players are left behind. Barazite still had limited game time at Arsenal, and a couple of loans away from them helped him, but he was still very lightweight and unprepared when he left. There are plenty of examples.

In this thread, my point is that it is not a bad move to let someone like Whittaker have a full season on loan in a lower league side, the education and experience will be massive for him, and for us to determine if he's gonna be good enough.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

thanks for correcting me, my point was/is that without competitive football, players are left behind. Barazite still had limited game time at Arsenal, and a couple of loans away from them helped him, but he was still very lightweight and unprepared when he left. There are plenty of examples.

In this thread, my point is that it is not a bad move to let someone like Whittaker have a full season on loan in a lower league side, the education and experience will be massive for him, and for us to determine if he's gonna be good enough.

But he can contribute for us and has seen first team action most games (2nd half of the season), even if it is sub appearances at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

But he can contribute for us and has seen first team action most games (2nd half of the season), even if it is sub appearances at the moment.

that's fine, but i was originally dismissing the comment that sending him to L1 was akin to farming with a Ferrari.

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Can't think of too many of our players who have gone out on loan to give them experience then returned to stake a claim to a starting place on a regular basis. They go to the rough and tumble of Leagues 1 & 2 and even if they come through reasonably unscathed physically, it doesn't seem to do much by improving their skill levels. Many of our outgoing loans have often been benched after playing a few games.

The ones with real potential would probably benefit more by being brought into the squad environment or maybe moving abroad for a season to the slightly less robust but more skill-based leagues in France, Belgium or Holland - Mason Mount didn't do too bad on it.

11 hours ago, Tiverton Ram said:

I think he should be loaned to a league 1 club next season just for some extra experience. He was great last night, but a short term or a season long loan could push his development on further.

Are there many examples of players that we have had that we have loaned to lower league teams and come back a better player?

I can think of Dean Sturridge, struggling after that.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are there many examples of players that we have had that we have loaned to lower league teams and come back a better player?

These days the loan seems to signify the beginning of the end. 

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

we haven't really produced anyone good enough that hasn't been needed for 1st team squad in a long long time. We did send out the likes of Rawson, Bennett, Hanson etc in recent-ish years.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

oh.. hang on, what about Max Lowe?

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

He counts. Think the manager changes and things helped him too. Also, wasn’t his first loan. His first didn’t do a lot for him. 

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

we haven't really produced anyone good enough that hasn't been needed for 1st team squad in a long long time. We did send out the likes of Rawson, Bennett, Hanson etc in recent-ish years.

Think that is kind of my point, at this level if you're good enough by the age of 17/18 you're likely to be put straight into the team. If you need to go to League One or Two, it usually tends to be a sign that is where you belong.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Thanks, didnt think about him.

Right now, the best youngsters are getting game time in our first team. Sooner or later, we won’t be able to do that due to the number of quality players in the team. I think it’s only at that point when we’ll start loaning our more than just the odd player each season.
We’ll have a squad of just 21 outfielders in the first team, 17 in the U23s, and about 23 in the U18s next season. Beyond the odd one (JML, and maybe Cresswell/Wassall) where we have a bit of depth, we just don’t have the numbers to loan many out. We’re going to have a very high number of 17 year olds feature in the U23 squad this year. 

I guess that we'll have to retain the majority of the bright youngsters, rather than loaning them out. I can't see us making many new signings, and coaching staff require a good pool of talented players for training purposes.

Times have moved on 

we are blooding them here not on loan. The model, finance and cv19 has placed more reliance on home grown. Which is good 

least our talent has been Kept together and will learn from playing week in together 

Well done young Whittaker on the first of many goals 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah, Dean Sturridge is the only one in the past 25 years. Max Lowe's improvement was done in Aberdeen (33 appearances & exposure to top tier games vs Rangers and Celtic). Not convinced his 12 games at Shrewsbury shaped him particularly.

Agree with your point though. We've recently sent Mason Bennett, Elsnik, Guy, Vernam, Rawson out and none of them came back with a bang.

Tough one. He benefits enormously from staying with us, due to the fact he's played so many games with the others who have broken into the first team. He needs game time and starts though. Depends entirely on what our options up top are in 7+ weeks time. Hector-Ingram will also be forcing his way into matchday squads.

If Martin stays another season, I think Whittaker will stay with us throughout and we won't sign another forward. 

The only forward I'm confident will spend the season playing for us is Waghorn. Big changes or none at all. 

21 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If were trying to build a team of skilful one-touch pass and move merchants, then I see no purpose whatsoever in loaning them out to teams of mountainous cloggers.

simply, at many points of the season, we will face a team of cloggers and in recent years, being unable to cope against those teams has cost us plenty of points!

Archived