Whittaker

TuffLuff

Made up for the young lad tonight

Looked a lot more lively in his involvement since the restart, starting with winning that free kick that lead to the goal vs Forest. Not everyone would have chased that but he did. The goal tonight  will do him the world of good and his movement and pass to Sibley was a lovely moment of individual skill.

Had maybe the most difficult start to his Derby career over the young lads but think we are starting to see what we have with him.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RIMBAUD said:

Looked like he lacked a bit of heart earlier in the season but he’s young and the coaches at the club rate him so let’s see. Delighted he scored.  Shame it wasn’t in December. He’s got something imo. 

I don't think he lacked heart, he just didn't break through as seamlessly as some of the other young players. He always came on and tried his hardest when it was asked of him, it just took him longer to adapt. 

Delighted for him. Taken an unreal amount of stick for how little those that seem to dish it out to him have watched him play. Wasn’t a classic goal by any stretch of the imagination, but did show that poacher’s instinct that you have to have to score as many as he has in the youth team - even whilst playing wide. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Delighted for him. Taken an unreal amount of stick for how little those that seem to dish it out to him have watched him play. Wasn’t a classic goal by any stretch of the imagination, but did show that poacher’s instinct that you have to have to score as many as he has in the youth team - even whilst playing wide. 

To be honest I thought the assist was even better, good run forward into space, good vision and nice pass to set up Sibley. Excellent work.

Happy for the lad. Although he's got a bit of stick I've always had the belief he'll kick on and break through properly eventually.

Think he should have probably done better with his initial shot and it was possibly just a lack of confidence that he could score at this level.

Hopefully that goal and assist will give him the confidence to go on and have a big year next season.

Max Bird looked absolutely lost in his brief appearances prior to this season, it takes patience. Now Morgan has his first goal he can play without that huge mental pressure he’ll have no doubt placed on himself, already evident by the sublime set-up for Sibbo’s goal 

Just now, Taribo said:

Max Bird looked absolutely lost in his brief appearances prior to this season, it takes patience. Now Morgan has his first goal he can play without that huge mental pressure he’ll have no doubt placed on himself, already evident by the sublime set-up for Sibbo’s goal 

Max Bird looked entirely lost against Scunthorpe in the cup at the start of the season. I was at that game and never thought Max would be as brilliant as he has been. Full credit to him and the work everyone has done with him. 

The hardest thing for the young players is getting used to the pace of the game at this level compared to the U23/U18 level. Some players adapt quicker than others. Natural ability can't be taught, Whittaker has it.

5 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Anyone who's watched the academy over the last couple of years should know just how good Whittaker is. A bit more physicality is all that's needed and he'll be a top, top player. But that'll come with experience... the lad's only 19. Expect him to be a regular part of the 1st team next season.

What made me up, was the genuine delight on the other academy lads faces, they know he has the talent.

Unlike Sibley or Bird, because of others in front of him, he’s going to have to be more patient and I think he’s probably going to be a slow burner but I’ve a feeling he’ll get there, his advantage will be gelling with Bird, Sibley and Knight, they already have an understanding, that was clear from his deft lay off for the 3rd to Sibley.

He needs to develop physically to be effective in the championship, he’s got the physical development of a 15 year old 

no doubting his technical ability, but he looks very much like a boy in a mans world at the minute and I don’t think he believes in his own ability as much as he should. I want to see him with a bit more aggression, a bit more direct running at players, he’d leave half of the aging championship defenders for dust if he rated himself a bit more 

He needs an arm round his shoulder To build on tonight’s performance and some protein shakes over the summer

Hector Ingram will be one to watch next season 

30 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Anyone who's watched the academy over the last couple of years should know just how good Whittaker is. A bit more physicality is all that's needed and he'll be a top, top player. But that'll come with experience... the lad's only 19. Expect him to be a regular part of the 1st team next season.

The exciting thing with him is the physicality & dark arts of CF play can be taught - the deft touches, finishing & technical ability he has, you either have or you don't.

A year ago we were all talking about our batch of midfielders on the verge of the first team - they've all made it & look very settled in the first XI now. Maybe extremely naive on my part but I'd love to see Whittaker, Hector-Ingram and Mitchell-Lawson explode onto the scene in the attacking positions. Maybe Cocu has a plan...

3 minutes ago, Derbados said:

He needs to develop physically to be effective in the championship, he’s got the physical development of a 15 year old 

no doubting his technical ability, but he looks very much like a boy in a mans world at the minute and I don’t think he believes in his own ability as much as he should. I want to see him with a bit more aggression, a bit more direct running at players, he’d leave half of the aging championship defenders for dust if he rated himself a bit more 

He needs an arm round his shoulder To build on tonight’s performance and some protein shakes over the summer

Hector Ingram will be one to watch next season 

This is the main issue. He plays in a position where defenders will try to physically dominate/intimidate you. I hope this gives him some confidence and like the other poster I was more impressed by the assist than by the goal.

He needs to get on the weights and protein shakes. 

Archived