Will we make the play-offs

Ellafella

Will we make the play-offs  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Will we make the play-offs

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/20 at 11:00

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

When is it ever the right bloody time?

13/14 - We've only just gone from a mid-table side to a Play Off team. Our squad has no Premier League experience and we're probably a bit too short in the tooth to make a fist of staying up.

14/15 - We feel like we're ready. Oh look, we've finished 8th.

15/16 - We went to the top of the league relying on Jacob Butterfield to score belters. We're now managed by the U23 coach, who's disliked by half of the fanbase for some reason. Clearly not ready.

16/17 - We're crap.

17/18 - Our squad is too old and we don't play nice enough football to stay up.

18/19 - We're too reliant on loan players, Lampard probably isn't ready and we should wait until we storm the league next season.

19/20 - Our squad is too young. If we go up, we'll have only just sneaked promotion. We should wait until we storm the league next season.

Have people not learned anything? For the past seven seasons, we've been saying "now isn't the time". In that period, we've had 10 managers, none of whom have delivered on our expectations of the next season being "the right time".

Why do people keep peddling this absolute rubbish?

I'm not sure, I'll tell you next season. ?

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Someone posted yesterday inferring that, from this point on, "It's in our own hands".  With teams currently in between us and the coveted 6th place, I very nearly came on to post "It really isn't", meaning we still rely on others dropping points, which of course we do.  That phrase alone normally bugs me when in this situation. 

However, I didn't post that, as I'm no maths whizz, and as we are still to play many of those in that group above us, maybe by us winning all our remaining games, that automatically means that the others drop enough points between them to allow us in, regardless of how their other games go?  So maybe it really is already in our hands?  I really don't have the time nor inclination to go through the whole scenario on paper... with a calculator... but maybe I was right to hold back on my pedantic response. 

If it ain't already "in our own hands", it very well could be, very soon! 

#dontstopbelievin'  ?

I make it that, if we won EVERY game, then we would DEFINITELY be ahead of....

- everyone currently below us

-Preston (because we would have beaten them)

we would be AT LEAST level on points with Cardiff (because we would have beaten them and hence caught up the 3 points) so it would, assuming that they also won all their other games, come down to goal difference as to whether we finish above or below them.

We would have GAINED points on Leeds, West Brom, Brentford and Forest - but whether we overtake any of them depends on results in their other games. I haven't looked through to work out if there are permutations of them playing each other. But.....WORST case, we don't catch any of them up.

So.....it is in our hands to finish level on points with 6th place.

Just the little matter of winning all our games of course......

?

Cocu  certainly finding his feet and Rooneys experience and leadership has made us more of a complete unit.Defensively we look more vulnerable than at any time in the last 5 years which may be our hercules heal gaining promotion.

I am sure remaining fixtures will throw up a few curve balls and would expect the butt plugs to remain in play off positions.Cardiff at present look like they will finish well, whilst we have the likes of the butt plugs,Preston, Cardiff and Leeds to play in our remaining games. Winning these i think would make us deserved play off contenders but will be an immense achievement.From the remaining games 15 points would in my opinion be an excellent return considering the opposition, and I am not sure this would be enough to get us in the play offs.

Before the season started i expected us to be finishing outside the play offs ,so to still be in contention at this stage with the introduction and blooding of numerous young players  is a positive so long as we are able to build on this for next season.

COYR and good luck in the remaining games.

Plenty of results gone our way again, Wednesday picking up form which is good as they have Swansea and Preston to play, Boro will pick up under warnock as well which is also good for us as they have Millwall Bristol and Cardiff to play

6 minutes ago, Topram said:

Plenty of results gone our way again, Wednesday picking up form which is good as they have Swansea and Preston to play, Boro will pick up under warnock as well which is also good for us as they have Millwall Bristol and Cardiff to play

Miidlesboro v Cardiff will be fun. He will love pitting his wits against his former club.

Are we all Huddersfield fans today?

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I wouldn't mind to "suffer" like Norwich. Get promoted, strengthen the team a withtout spending much and put 100 millions towards the future. They'll have a excellent team for Championship next season even though they might sell their best players.

On a side note, it's interesting that Norwich are banking all this money, but they've still furloughed their staff and taken money off the government {us}. 

6 minutes ago, Topram said:

Bristol haven't won in 6 now. Can they turn it around and get the 5+ wins from their remaining games? I'm calling no. I reckon that's them out of the play off hunt. 

Similar for Preston and Blackburn, only one win in their last 6. Can't see them putting in the performances they need. 

For me, it's now between Cardiff, Derby, Swansea and Millwall for 6th spot. 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

When is it ever the right bloody time?

13/14 - We've only just gone from a mid-table side to a Play Off team. Our squad has no Premier League experience and we're probably a bit too short in the tooth to make a fist of staying up.

14/15 - We feel like we're ready. Oh look, we've finished 8th.

15/16 - We went to the top of the league relying on Jacob Butterfield to score belters. We're now managed by the U23 coach, who's disliked by half of the fanbase for some reason. Clearly not ready.

16/17 - We're crap.

17/18 - Our squad is too old and we don't play nice enough football to stay up.

18/19 - We're too reliant on loan players, Lampard probably isn't ready and we should wait until we storm the league next season.

19/20 - Our squad is too young. If we go up, we'll have only just sneaked promotion. We should wait until we storm the league next season.

Have people not learned anything? For the past seven seasons, we've been saying "now isn't the time". In that period, we've had 10 managers, none of whom have delivered on our expectations of the next season being "the right time".

Look, I’d of been overjoyed being promoted on any of the campaigns you mentioned.  I’m just saying I wouldn’t be too upset with not this season. 
we seem to have a Manager who looks like he has a long term plan and we could have him at the club long enough for this. Something we’ve missed for a while. 
Im excited by our youngsters coming through and with a few tweaks, I think we can dominate the championship next season. 
Maybe the 2007/8 season in the premiership has scarred me for life , I don’t know.

But don’t get me wrong we would ALL be overjoyed at success this season or any other season. ?

1 minute ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Look, I’d of been overjoyed being promoted on any of the campaigns you mentioned.  I’m just saying I wouldn’t be too upset with not this season. 
we seem to have a Manager who looks like he has a long term plan and we could have him at the club long enough for this. Something we’ve missed for a while. 
Im excited by our youngsters coming through and with a few tweaks, I think we can dominate the championship next season. 
Maybe the 2007/8 season in the premiership has scarred me for life , I don’t know.

But don’t get me wrong we would ALL be overjoyed at success this season or any other season. ?

Apologies for being a little abrasive in my post. 

You're right in that it won't be the worst thing in the world if we don't go up. But I'll only be using that to console myself if we don't quite make it. For now, I'm on board the promotion train! 

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Bristol haven't won in 6 now. Can they turn it around and get the 5+ wins from their remaining games? I'm calling no. I reckon that's them out of the play off hunt. 

Similar for Preston and Blackburn, only one win in their last 6. Can't see them putting in the performances they need. 

For me, it's now between Cardiff, Derby, Swansea and Millwall for 6th spot. 

In fairness, we weren't in a dissimilar position to Bristol, Preston and Blackburn at this stage in 17/18 and 18/19.

In both of those seasons, we'd been on bad runs that led to our fans saying we were out of the picture, despite only being a few points off. Things can change very quickly.

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Technically, it can almost, but not quite yet, be said that it is in our hands in the sense that if we won all our remaining games (including beating Cardiff by 3 or more goals) then no one could catch us for 6th place unless (and this is why it’s not quite in our hands) Cardiff won all their remaining games (except against us) by a sufficient total goal difference to beat ours and cancel out our net gain as a result of us beating them by 3+ goals. If we beat Cardiff by 3, and won all our other games by a single goal but Cardiff won all of theirs by 2 goals they would finish above us.

The other top 6 teams are of course more than three points ahead so, to beat them and win all of other remaining games, may still not be enough.

There you go, saved you a job.

And very much appreciated it is too.  Nice one!  ?

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I make it that, if we won EVERY game, then we would DEFINITELY be ahead of....

- everyone currently below us

-Preston (because we would have beaten them)

we would be AT LEAST level on points with Cardiff (because we would have beaten them and hence caught up the 3 points) so it would, assuming that they also won all their other games, come down to goal difference as to whether we finish above or below them.

We would have GAINED points on Leeds, West Brom, Brentford and Forest - but whether we overtake any of them depends on results in their other games. I haven't looked through to work out if there are permutations of them playing each other. But.....WORST case, we don't catch any of them up.

So.....it is in our hands to finish level on points with 6th place.

Just the little matter of winning all our games of course......

?

I'd normally give a thanks for that, as you've clearly put in more effort than I could be bothered to do myself, but hey, compared to the post I've just quoted above from @Tamworthram, your efforts do come a poor second.  

Verdict:   "Must try harder"... as my former Geography teacher said to me, as she left me stranded alone behind the bike shed during the xmas disco! 

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'd normally give a thanks for that, as you've clearly put in more effort than I could be bothered to do myself, but hey, compared to the post I've just quoted above from @Tamworthram, your efforts do come a poor second.  

Verdict:   "Must try harder"... as my former Geography teacher said to me, as she left me stranded alone behind the bike shed during the xmas disco! 

You had sexual relations with your Geography teacher at a school disco?

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I really couldn't agree more. Sure we want it to be this fairytale with cocu and the kids where we dominate the championship and go up as champions but football is so unpredictable, you have to take your chance while you have it. 

Also, if we manage to beat all these teams above us and get into the playoffs, then surely we are ready?

And for those of you who are worried about staying up when we get there, look at Norwich and Villa. They dominated the championship last season and after Villa's 10 game run, you would have sworn they would be alright yet they are both coming back down. On the flip side, Sheffield United have been competing for Europe when most said they'd finish bottom.

The truth is, football is unpredictable. You must go for promotion every season.

Just now, Will Hughes Hair said:

You had sexual relations with your Geography teacher at a school disco?

Firstly, if you read my joke again... a little more carefully next time... you'll note it was clearly the exact opposite of a sexual relation, as she clearly rebuffed my advances.

Secondly... and most importantly of all... it was a joke.  Hilarious yes, but clearly lacking in facts!

However... I did go back and ensure I made it clear my Geography teacher was a she!    ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Firstly, if you read my joke again... a little more carefully next time... you'll note it was clearly the exact opposite of a sexual relation, as she clearly rebuffed my advances.

Secondly... and most importantly of all... it was a joke.  Hilarious yes, but clearly lacking in facts!

However... I did go back and ensure I made it clear my Geography teacher was a she!    ?

But still, a Geography teacher?  Was it the plaid cardigan or the sensible brown shoes that did it for you? ?

Archived