Will we make the play-offs

Ellafella

Will we make the play-offs  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Will we make the play-offs

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/20 at 11:00

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

NO, we won't.

Now relax and enjoy it.

That was pretty much my thoughts, and I voted accordingly ("NO") before I read your post.

I am determined to enjoy the run in.  I'll even enjoy all the ifs, buts, and maybes, and may even enjoy the fact that we got so close in the end, if that proves to be the case.
But most of all, I will enjoy it if my vote proves to be wrong!

?

EDIT:

Currently 50/50, after 92 votes.  Not sure if that's a lot of optimists, or a lot of pessimists!  ?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went with no but really my answer is "difficult but possible". 

We currently sit on 54 points. If we win every game from now till the seasons end we end on 78 and make the playoff likely at a canter.

If we maintain the form we've had since January of around 2pts a game that leaves at 70 which could see us squeak in if Preston or Cardiff don't improve their points per game from their season average.

So the up shot is to have any chance we need to accumulate 2 points a game at a minimum, essentially automatics form which I think might be difficult to maintain with the difficult games and tough schedule but far from impossible especially if we can keep performing like we did against Millwall.

On balance I think it's more likely we don't get there but I don't think the difference in likelihood of the two scenarios is large.

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That was pretty much my thoughts, and I voted accordingly ("NO") before I read your post.

I am determined to enjoy the run in.  I'll even enjoy all the ifs, buts, and maybes, and may even enjoy the fact that we got so close in the end, if that proves to be the case.
But most of all, I will enjoy it if my vote proves to be wrong!

?

EDIT:

Currently 50/50, after 92 votes.  Not sure if that's a lot of optimists, or a lot of pessimists!  ?

To the optimist, the glass is half full, the pessimist, half empty, but, to the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be for the fluid present.

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

To the optimist, the glass is half full, the pessimist, half empty, but, to the engineer, the glass is twice the size it needs to be for the fluid present.

Yeah, for now.  But what if the engineer drinks more... or God forbid, wants to top it up with more liquid than the glass will accommodate?

"Larger than it once was, but smaller than it'll be", to (very loosely) paraphrase the delectable Simon & Garfunkel!

And that's not even calculating any evaporation in this current heatwave.  Ha!  Never thought of that, did you!

Give it some thought, and come back to me*

*Actually don't bother!  I can't even follow it myself, and I bloody wrote it!  ?

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah, for now.  But what if the engineer drinks more... or God forbid, wants to top it up with more liquid than the glass will accommodate?

"Larger than it once was, but smaller than it'll be", to (very loosely) paraphrase the delectable Simon & Garfunkel!

And that's not even calculating any evaporation in this current heatwave.  Ha!  Never thought of that, did you!

Give it some thought, and come back to me*

*Actually don't bother!  I can't even follow it myself, and I bloody wrote it!  ?

Design met specified design parameters.

Additional design work regarding new data will be considered a variation of contract and will be billed on a time and materials basis at the rates outlined in our proposal.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Design met specified design parameters.

Additional design work regarding new data will be considered a variation of contract and will be billed on a time and materials basis at the rates outlined in our proposal.

I said don't bother!

... With good reason!    ?

9 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I would argue if we win the next two games, we could end up 6th or at least very close to it. I'm fairly sure we were around 3 points off this time last season. It's very much possible to do it again. Just need to go on a run, and if you look at our form, we're doing just that.

Psychology is very important here. Phillip Cocu quite subtly mentioned the next 3 games before Millwall last week. He was alluding to 2 things:

1. Would we pick up from where we left off after Blackburn?

2. Momentum. 

The answer to 1 was yes and so we have momentum as a result. This week Phillip has switched to just focussing on each game one at a time. This isn’t just a casual change of emphasis; we know Cocu is a deep thinker and this is the result of him being confident that we can do it so long as the Team keep focus and not start eyeing further than the next game. Now other teams will be conscious of us and the run of form and that will just give us a scintilla of an edge when we face them as indeed we do face most of them in the run in. We are a member of the chasing pack and we have just edged past Millwall . . . the wind is in our sails. 

My concern is that not all remaining opponents will hack at our heels and shunt it long like Millwall. 

When teams run at us we look vulnerable. 

I think there will be at least one game where we play too many misplaced passes and we will get picked off. 

If this happens it's important that we don't go into meltdown. If we like attacking one touch football there will be risks. 

Let's enjoy the rest of the season and the style of football Cocu and Rooney have brought to the club. 

We can't control other results. 

We’ve left ourselves with too much work to do imo. There’s so many teams in the mix that even one slip up will likely make the task insurmountable. It’s still possible of course, and we certainly shouldn’t give up hope at this point, but it’s unlikely. It will require the sort of consistency not seen in a Derby side since we won 7 on the spin under McClaren to make it. Annoyingly, if our form earlier in the season was just a little less poo, then we may have had a real real chance.

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Most people said the exact same thing last season

Did they? I thought we were in and around the playoffs all season, unless my memory is failing me. I can’t remember us ever dropping as far down as 12th, not this late in the season anyway.

Archived