Will we make the play-offs

Ellafella

Will we make the play-offs  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Will we make the play-offs

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/20 at 11:00

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt euphoric after the three wins v sheff we’d, Blackburn, and Millwall, but despite winning v Reading, I think we learned a lot about our potential weakness in that game.

we are good in possession but we are very poor out of possession, and this is reflected in the startling difference between our home and away form.

home....

F559810E-A8AD-4EF7-9E7E-6E50BC830011.thumb.jpeg.f5873159e5864f9b3a6bab9d05ac22e7.jpeg

away.....

0E72E83B-E2CA-4ACD-9AE9-742B4745EF3A.thumb.jpeg.70420edf938e4d4d6f656c75c3fe7105.jpeg

We didn’t lay a glove on Reading. We were soft. There wasn’t enough work rate to close them down or win the ball back. 
Thats why I’d go with shinnie to replace Lawrence (plus he has a left foot). In possession we can do our thing with Rooney, bird, sibley etc. But out of possession we need to compete. 

43 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's very nearly in our own hands whether we make playoffs. 

Which is remarkable really, and all a team can ever really ask for.

Someone posted yesterday inferring that, from this point on, "It's in our own hands".  With teams currently in between us and the coveted 6th place, I very nearly came on to post "It really isn't", meaning we still rely on others dropping points, which of course we do.  That phrase alone normally bugs me when in this situation. 

However, I didn't post that, as I'm no maths whizz, and as we are still to play many of those in that group above us, maybe by us winning all our remaining games, that automatically means that the others drop enough points between them to allow us in, regardless of how their other games go?  So maybe it really is already in our hands?  I really don't have the time nor inclination to go through the whole scenario on paper... with a calculator... but maybe I was right to hold back on my pedantic response. 

If it ain't already "in our own hands", it very well could be, very soon! 

#dontstopbelievin'  ?

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

There’s going to be some very heavy legs by next Saturday so some rotation against Preston perhaps? 

It seems Lawrence agrees with you but he is the type that would proper against Preston but it gives opportunity to someone else 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I felt euphoric after the three wins v sheff we’d, Blackburn, and Millwall, but despite winning v Reading, I think we learned a lot about our potential weakness in that game.

we are good in possession but we are very poor out of possession, and this is reflected in the startling difference between our home and away form.

home....

F559810E-A8AD-4EF7-9E7E-6E50BC830011.thumb.jpeg.f5873159e5864f9b3a6bab9d05ac22e7.jpeg

away.....

0E72E83B-E2CA-4ACD-9AE9-742B4745EF3A.thumb.jpeg.70420edf938e4d4d6f656c75c3fe7105.jpeg

We didn’t lay a glove on Reading. We were soft. There wasn’t enough work rate to close them down or win the ball back. 
Thats why I’d go with shinnie to replace Lawrence (plus he has a left foot). In possession we can do our thing with Rooney, bird, sibley etc. But out of possession we need to compete. 

Yes. Without question.  

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Voted no.. 

Going with my head. 

The remaining fixtures are horrible. Think we will need to win most and have room for 1 maybe 2 slip ups at most. Would take an extended run of results we haven't shown ourselves capable of. 

Allow me to top up your glass, sir.

As of yesterday, we have won the last 4 consecutive games.

What we need to do now, is win the next 4 consecutive games.  Then after that, all we need to do is win the final 3 games.

It seems we are more than capable!  ?  

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Someone posted yesterday inferring that, from this point on, "It's in our own hands".  With teams currently in between us and the coveted 6th place, I very nearly came on to post "It really isn't", meaning we still rely on others dropping points, which of course we do.  That phrase alone normally bugs me when in this situation. 

However, I didn't post that, as I'm no maths whizz, and as we are still to play many of those in that group above us, maybe by us winning all our remaining games, that automatically means that the others drop enough points between them to allow us in, regardless of how their other games go?  So maybe it really is already in our hands?  I really don't have the time nor inclination to go through the whole scenario on paper... with a calculator... but maybe I was right to hold back on my pedantic response. 

#dontstopbelievin'  ?

Technically, it can almost, but not quite yet, be said that it is in our hands in the sense that if we won all our remaining games (including beating Cardiff by 3 or more goals) then no one could catch us for 6th place unless (and this is why it’s not quite in our hands) Cardiff won all their remaining games (except against us) by a sufficient total goal difference to beat ours and cancel out our net gain as a result of us beating them by 3+ goals. If we beat Cardiff by 3, and won all our other games by a single goal but Cardiff won all of theirs by 2 goals they would finish above us.

The other top 6 teams are of course more than three points ahead so, to beat them and win all of other remaining games, may still not be enough.

There you go, saved you a job.

17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

What we need to do now, is win the next 4 consecutive games.  Then after that, all we need to do is win the final 3 games.

Thing is, we don't really have to keep winning anymore.

We just have to match the other teams in the playoff hunt, whilst making up 3 points on Cardiff, 2 goals on Preston and possibly 1 point on Bristol. Forest will be hard to catch if they win today, but if they don't, our game against them could drag them right into it.

If we win a match and all our rivals do too, then it's the same as everyone losing.  We are performing better than all the teams around us, so if that continues, we will finish top 6.

The remaining games should be harder than Millwall or Reading, but it's not like we are playing some brilliant Championship teams, like Wolves or Newcastle when they last went up. They are also crucial games for the opposition too, and we know too what the pressure is like at the end of a season trying to hold onto your top 6 place.

I think Brenford will be toughest game as a) they will be still be chasing when we play them and b) their form is nearly as good as ours.

I think we’ll just miss out, there are too many massive games against teams above us to think we can realistically win most if not all of them.  Good to see Mitrovic getting sent off yesterday though, he’ll miss the game against us.

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

#dontstopbelievin'  ?

Had to go to bit more back than yesterday.... ? 16th of June I said "Looks perfect. It's basically in our own hands." on another thread.

Time flies, eh? Or you better hope someone has repeated my thoughts yesterday ?

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yeah because when was the last time we won 11 games on the bounce.......?

On 26/06/2020 at 20:16, Ruda Harliss said:

Been said a few times before, as great as promotion is, it really isn’t the right time.

if by some amazing twist, that can happen in football, we get to the playoffs and get promoted, ift would be detrimental to the development of the youngsters that have started to break through and the players that are nearly there.  Not being ready for prem football could stifle the youngsters or push them back to the u23’s.

Players like Sibley, Bird, Bogle, Lowe, Knight and the fringe players will be important in our eventual domination of the Championship when we are promoted as champions.

When is it ever the right bloody time?

13/14 - We've only just gone from a mid-table side to a Play Off team. Our squad has no Premier League experience and we're probably a bit too short in the tooth to make a fist of staying up.

14/15 - We feel like we're ready. Oh look, we've finished 8th.

15/16 - We went to the top of the league relying on Jacob Butterfield to score belters. We're now managed by the U23 coach, who's disliked by half of the fanbase for some reason. Clearly not ready.

16/17 - We're crap.

17/18 - Our squad is too old and we don't play nice enough football to stay up.

18/19 - We're too reliant on loan players, Lampard probably isn't ready and we should wait until we storm the league next season.

19/20 - Our squad is too young. If we go up, we'll have only just sneaked promotion. We should wait until we storm the league next season.

Have people not learned anything? For the past seven seasons, we've been saying "now isn't the time". In that period, we've had 10 managers, none of whom have delivered on our expectations of the next season being "the right time".

Why do people keep peddling this absolute rubbish?

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

When is it ever the right bloody time?

13/14 - We've only just gone from a mid-table side to a Play Off team. Our squad has no Premier League experience and we're probably a bit too short in the tooth to make a fist of staying up.

14/15 - We feel like we're ready. Oh look, we've finished 8th.

15/16 - We went to the top of the league relying on Jacob Butterfield to score belters. We're now managed by the U23 coach, who half of the fanbase bizarrely hates. Clearly not ready.

16/17 - We're crap.

17/18 - Our squad is too old and we don't play nice enough football to go up.

18/19 - We're too reliant on loan players, Lampard probably isn't ready and we should wait until we storm the league next season.

19/20 - Our squad is too young. If we go up, we'll have only just sneaked promotion. We should wait until we storm the league next season.

Have people not learned anything? For the past seven seasons, we've been saying "now isn't the time". In that period, we've had 10 managers, none of whom have delivered on our expectations of the next season being "the right time".

Why do people keep peddling this absolute rubbish?

i would hazard a guess quite a few Sheffield utd fans reckon they weren't ready 

Archived