Will we make the play-offs

Ellafella

Will we make the play-offs  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Will we make the play-offs

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/20 at 11:00

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’re in with a massive shout of the playoffs now. I’m thinking 3 wins and a draw will do it, and if we get there, it will likely mean for the second half of the season we have been the best team. 

However, and I understand and accept to a degree all the points about there is never the right time to go up, you have to grasp the opportunity when it happens but, is this the right time? Whoever gets promoted this season will have the hardest ever job to stay up because of the short turn around time and the overhaul potentially needed to compete. I think we’d have no option to stay true to the youngsters in this team and tweak it but in doing so we would risk doing a Norwich.

I think next season it could very well be the three promoted clubs who come straight back down, but then if we did that we’d be in a better place financially?

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

We've now got the toughest run we can possibly ask for, Birmingham being the only team to play that is currently below us. 

If we win enough games to make the play offs we more than deserve to be in the mix. 

Absolutely; the mountain is steepest for the last 600 yards. Huge task but not impossible. 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely; the mountain is steepest for the last 600 yards. Huge task but not impossible. 

I feel we will make it, but knowing the way this season has gone, there will probably be one more twist. Cue the EFL and 'that charge'. Grrr!!!!!

I don't think we will make th eplay-offs. The run-in is just too tough and we've lost a couple of key players right now.

But it's very pleasing the way the season is ending.  We are (finally) reducing the wage bill (Rooney aside) and we will end up with a much smaller squad which allows the youngsters to develop.  

Unlike some, I'm not expecting us to be challenging for automatics next season. I think youngsters form will fluctuate. But I think we'll do OK. And I think we are rebuilding on the right tracks

I just hope that the FFP charge doesn't hit us too hard...

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

We've now got the toughest run we can possibly ask for, Birmingham being the only team to play that is currently below us

In an unexpected bout of optimism I would point out that early season almost every game was against teams above us and look where we are now.

20 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I said it before the restart. We can probably on afford to drop points twice. 72 points, I believe will be enough so 4 more wins. 

As long as one of them is Cardiff. 

27 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Our run in is very difficult, but Cardiff’s is far from easy. 
Bristol City Away 
Blackburn Home
Fulham Away 
Derby Home
Boro Away
Hull Home 

4 play off rivals and two teams fighting for their lives. No nothing games.

I agree Cardiff have a tricky run in. But they are in form generally. Last 6 games include a draw against Brentford and wins over Leeds and West Brom. They are no mugs. 

5 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Our run in is very difficult, but Cardiff’s is far from easy. 
Bristol City Away 
Blackburn Home
Fulham Away 
Derby Home
Boro Away
Hull Home 

4 play off rivals and two teams fighting for their lives. No nothing games.

Just noticed that myself. 4 sides still hoping to finish in the playoffs and 2 sides likely to be fighting for their survival. You've still got to fancy them getting 8-10 points though. That means the target for any side making a playoff push is 70 points, and barring a miraculous collapse from Forest and/or Fulham, they'll both hang on. 

It's between Cardiff, ourselves, Swansea, Preston, Blackburn, Millwall and Bristol. For Bristol, they'd need 5 wins, which is a bit too much of a stretch. We can rule them out, although they'll think they still have a small chance if they beat Cardiff at the weekend.
Cardiff and ourselves probably need just 3 wins. The others 4 wins.

image.png.588be0eaed910d15b32b4c1448722452.png

Blackburn have a tough run and I can see them fading away. Likewise Millwall. They may play 4 sides trying to beat the drop, but they'll be fighting for their lives.
Swansea and Preston have faded away since Christmas, and have only picked up 3 points between them since the restart. They both have a lot of 'nothing to play for' games, but 4 wins from 6 may be too much of a turn around for them.

In my opinion, it's a two horse race between ourselves and Cardiff. We have an injury ravaged team. They have an ageing squad. Both teams have a tough run of fixtures so it could go either way. let's hope Harris' inexperience at handling these sort of pressure games comes into play. There's no pressure on us. We've exceeded expectations by coming from nowhere and no-one expects us to keep that up for the remaining 6 games.

Well I've played around with spreadsheets and various form indicators and only once out of lots of basic simulations did we make the playoffs.

8th was the commonest position.

My favourite prediction site fivethirtyeight has us 7th behind Cardiff. Mind you they only gave us a thirty percent chance of beating PNE

Archived