Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 22/02/2021 at 12:55, Baj said:

Watched Saint Maud a couple of weeks ago, I would say mental health issues coupled with her religious beliefs manifested themselves in her behaviours. 

Oh I agree but there are enough little shots (no spoilers) where you can wonder if it's real.

On 22/02/2021 at 12:55, Baj said:

Think it was set in Scarborough, interesting watch.

It was. Though I suspect the Scarborough tourism committee haven't asked if they can use it on their posters!.  It reminded me of how grim it was, as a student living in Morecambe during the winter.

On 04/02/2021 at 14:14, JoetheRam said:

Inception is the most overrated film I've ever seen. Just completely "Dr Who's" it's way through by introducing some magical way of solving a problem in the plot out of nowhere. But it looks pretty. 

Not seen the others you mention. 

I like Terminator 1 & 2 I suppose.

The Martian was good for the first half and then just got stupid.

They're the two (three) that I could watch again. Can't think of any others I like. Just find it very hard to suspend all belief in reality which is required with most of these films.

Inception vies with Blade Runner and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the (much sought after) prize of my favourite movie. I'm saddened when people don't enjoy it. I try to tell people Eternal Sunshine is also sci-fi as it's about erasing your memory if you want to forget something or rather someone, but most people just think of it as a love story. Highly recommend to you and anyone who's not seen it.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Inception vies with Blade Runner and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the (much sought after) prize of my favourite movie. I'm saddened when people don't enjoy it. I try to tell people Eternal Sunshine is also sci-fi as it's about erasing your memory if you want to forget something or rather someone, but most people just think of it as a love story. Highly recommend to you and anyone who's not seen it.

I really liked Inception but I think it's one of those films that requires a little 'work' from the viewer. For me that's fine and I think the balance was right whereas with Tenet I felt it was not. I've not seen Eternal Sunshine and I've no idea why. Blade Runner I never got to see in a cinema but I remember a group of us hanging out in London one summer holiday when we were kids and renting 5 movies from Video Shuttle on the Fulham Road which was one of, if not the first video rental outlet in the UK. Along with Blade Runner, one of the others was Alien, another Ridley Scott movie and they are still very much both on my desert island list with Blade Runner being my favourite ever sci-fi by a stretch.

My home life was difficult at that time so I was staying in Wandsworth at the home of a pal whose father was a very well respected Director of Photography who worked with Ridley Scott on a couple of movies including his breakout movie, The Duellists. I think it was Ridley's first feature? A few years later I started work in a London production company and two or three years after that I became a union accredited clapper loader, or second assistant camera in modern speak. It was one of the happiest times of my life. My roundabout point, if you've not nodded off yet being that it was Blade Runner that lit the fire so to speak and I still watch it every couple of years to this day. Absolutely, spine-tinglingly wondrous and every bit as good today as it was then. 

28 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I really liked Inception but I think it's one of those films that requires a little 'work' from the viewer. For me that's fine and I think the balance was right whereas with Tenet I felt it was not. I've not seen Eternal Sunshine and I've no idea why. Blade Runner I never got to see in a cinema but I remember a group of us hanging out in London one summer holiday when we were kids and renting 5 movies from Video Shuttle on the Fulham Road which was one of, if not the first video rental outlet in the UK. Along with Blade Runner, one of the others was Alien, another Ridley Scott movie and they are still very much both on my desert island list with Blade Runner being my favourite ever sci-fi by a stretch.

My home life was difficult at that time so I was staying in Wandsworth at the home of a pal whose father was a very well respected Director of Photography who worked with Ridley Scott on a couple of movies including his breakout movie, The Duellists. I think it was Ridley's first feature? A few years later I started work in a London production company and two or three years after that I became a union accredited clapper loader, or second assistant camera in modern speak. It was one of the happiest times of my life. My roundabout point, if you've not nodded off yet being that it was Blade Runner that lit the fire so to speak and I still watch it every couple of years to this day. Absolutely, spine-tinglingly wondrous and every bit as good today as it was then. 

Fantastic story. I've not seen the Duellists so might take a look over the weekend. Yes you have to see Eternal Sunshine. Charlie Kaufman's finest hour, even ahead of Synecdoche New York? And did you ever do Alien War at the Trocadero? The first immersive cinematic experience I had, so far ahead of its time.

I really liked that Blade Runner 2049 was not at all what I expected, but a beautiful and beautifully paced story. What does it mean to be a human, for the Ana de Armas character, was very clever. At least it didn't ruin the original movie.

Are you still in the industry? 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fantastic story. I've not seen the Duellists so might take a look over the weekend. Yes you have to see Eternal Sunshine. Charlie Kaufman's finest hour, even ahead of Synecdoche New York? And did you ever do Alien War at the Trocadero? The first immersive cinematic experience I had, so far ahead of its time.

I really liked that Blade Runner 2049 was not at all what I expected, but a beautiful and beautifully paced story. What does it mean to be a human, for the Ana de Armas character, was very clever. At least it didn't ruin the original movie.

Are you still in the industry? 

The Duellists is beautiful. Frank Tidy was the DoP and a wonderful man who we sadly lost last year. I think he started out shooting opening credits in a studio in his native Liverpool, but must have shot around 100 pictures by the end of his career. Chuck Norris credited him with making his career. All round good guy who made a mean chilli con carne, so a man of many talents!

Can't say I've even heard of the Alien War even though my last pad in London was a garret just off Long Acre, so pretty much a stone's throw from the Troc. As for BR 2049, it seemed to get a lukewarm reaction but I really liked it. I was mortified when it was originally mooted as I was incorrectly advised it was a re-make. Once the new title was announced, however, my blood pressure dropped to acceptable levels!

As for the business, sadly not. I ended up working on hundreds of commercials but proper film work was hard to come by as British crew are in a league of their own and hard to displace. DoP's tend to have their favourites and remain pretty loyal and when I found out I was to become a dad I had little choice but to go find work that more than simply paid the bills. I've no regrets though. I had a blast and have so many fond memories of that period in life. Funnily enough, I'm actually working on a script at the moment, the significant catch being that that's been the case for over 18 months and I'm barely a third of the way through it! Another year or two maybe! These days my time is mostly my own, though I do still do some consultancy work, so it's a lovely distraction, or pipedream according to my significant other ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

I remember being about 12 and late one night Bladerunner was on... I knew it was a classic so watched about 10mins and found it incredibly boring...many a time I have thought I need to revisit it but haven't. Similarly '2001 Space Oddity' I endured about 45mins before I gave in. Maybe I was too young... 

Eternal Sunshine is a really great film. Jim Carrey in his Truman Show pomp rather than his annoying physical comedy stuff. 

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

10 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Seeing as you two are the Bladerunner experts....

I saw it on TV when I was a teenager (and enjoyed it) but have not re-visited it until now.

Which is the best version to watch?. I've got the "Final Cut" recorded on my TV box but there seem to be a few different versions to choose from on other platforms. I want to re-watch the original before I see the 2049 version.

I suspect it must have been the original theatrical version I saw first time around.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Seeing as you two are the Bladerunner experts....

I saw it on TV when I was a teenager (and enjoyed it) but have not re-visited it until now.

Which is the best version to watch?. I've got the "Final Cut" recorded on my TV box but there seem to be a few different versions to choose from on other platforms. I want to re-watch the original before I see the 2049 version.

I suspect it must have been the original theatrical version I saw first time around.

There are 3 main versions: original release, director's cut and final cut. The standard nowadays would definitely be to watch the Final Cut as the way Ridley-Scott most wanted it to be.

I have a soft spot for the original release as the only one that has Harrison Ford's voiceover to explain what's going on. The drawl that begins, "They don't advertise for killers in a newspaper...". As well as imposing the voiceover, the original theatrical release missed out one scene that's key to a particular interpretation of the film and that would fit with the original Philip K Dick book.

The Director's Cut removed the voiceover and reinstated the missing scene, and IIRC lost a bit of the original ending.

The main thing I could see in the Final Cut revolved around the famous Rutger Hauer rooftop scene. In the original and in the Director's Cut, part of this was belatedly shot on an industrial estate in Swindon and is entirely out of keeping with the look and feel of the movie, so just jars horribly. When I first saw the Director's Cut I couldn't believe it was still in there. In the Final Cut this has been done properly so you don't notice.

I love the thought of a double bill of the Final Cut followed by 2049. I might treat myself to that one of these days!

Tenet, watched it twice. I can’t give it a score as I have no clue what was going on.

The Silencing, had the bloke from GOT who played the king slayer. Good film, bit dark but killed 90mins of life 7/10. 

Point Break - watched it back in the day and remember I was disappointed with it. 25+ years on and having heard lots of people say it's a classic etc I revisited it. Found it actually worse than I remembered. Supremely bad acting all-round, especially from Keanu. Whole thing is naff and corny with no believable characters or plot. It's almost a spoof it's so cheesy. Not sure what I'm missing or not getting? 

5/10.

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Point Break - watched it back in the day and remember I was disappointed with it. 25+ years on and having heard lots of people say it's a classic etc I revisited it. Found it actually worse than I remembered. Supremely bad acting all-round, especially from Keanu. Whole thing is naff and corny with no believable characters or plot. It's almost a spoof it's so cheesy. Not sure what I'm missing or not getting? 

5/10.

Downloading it now ?

24 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Downloading it now ?

I   AM   AN  F B I ...... AGENT. 

Hurtling headlong into 'so bad its good territory' but I just wasn't expecting that. Maybe after a few beers and another viewing I would ease into it and it would click. 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Me too, every so often catch it when drifting off on BBC1, it's still every bit as good as I remember.

Just sitting down to watch it now, even though it's pretty late. It's a great film but you can't please everyone. Kathryn Bigelow directed it at a time where actioners were strictly a male province and she outdid most of the boys at that time. She went on to do stuff like The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty and is a very talented director. 

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just sitting down to watch it now, even though it's pretty late. It's a great film but you can't please everyone. Kathryn Bigelow directed it at a time where actioners were strictly a male province and she outdid most of the boys at that time. She went on to do stuff like The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty and is a very talented director. 

If you rewatch Top Gun (Tony Scott) it is also full-on nonsense but with a huge dollop of knowing cheese. Cruise is a lot more charismatic than Reeves and it predates it too.  I just couldn't believe how awful the dialogue, the acting and plot holes were for a more 'modern' action movie. 

I didn't turn it off and I would probably rewatch it...so it obviously had nice set pieces and was cool in an odd way, it just wasn't what I expected. Keanu's acting was unbelievably bad though, unintentionally hilarious.