Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

3 weeks...

Only joking, February onward.  I always try and do 100 new films a year.  On 69 as of today.

The juvenile in me started sniggering, sorry.  Wow, fair play.  That's a few to crack on with then for the rest of the year to hit your target.  Look forward to seeing the updated list at year end.  

Last Night in Soho. Lots of good ideas, with a timeslip horror story, but in the end horror is almost always better implied than shown, and Edgar Wright showed too much here. But great to see Terence Stamp and Dian Rigg (her final film) as well as the young stars. I hadn't realized Anya Taylor-Joy from The Queen's Gambit was going to be in it, but sadly she didn't bother with the premiere so I walked up the red carpet with Matt Smith. Not quite the same. 6/10

Benedetta. I love Paul Verhoeven and everything he does. So that's extraordinary scifi such as Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers, but also movies like Basic Instinct and Black Book. What stands out in all his work is the ambiguity. For instance, in Starship Troopers should you really be on the side of the humans, or isn't it actually the arachnids who are being attacked by the fascists from Earth? Based on a true story, Benedetta is a lesbian nun extravaganza set in the 1600s. It could have descended into silliness, but Virginie Efira was brilliant as the title character (and she did come to the premiere so it was nice to walk up the red carpet with her) and because she played the role with such conviction, you were left wondering. Charlotte Rampling excellent too. 7/10.

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Have you tried it yet? Wasn't that hard to follow until the end when it all came together in a clash of ideas.

No but I will. It does sound interesting. I just posted the 'review' as I thought it was funny in a 'why even bother uploading that' kinda way. 

On 11/10/2021 at 09:02, sage said:

No Time to Die

First half amazing

Next quarter too much explaining

Last quarter poignant and simultaneously opened as many new storylines as it closed

Bobby Davison/10

I would give it more like a Gary Micklewhite/10

Without giving the end away to anyone that hasn't seen it.... how is that going to play out in the next one?

43 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I would give it more like a Gary Micklewhite/10

Without giving the end away to anyone that hasn't seen it.... how is that going to play out in the next one?

New Bond

3 female colleagues 

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Dune. The new one. Fantastic. 

I didn't click that it was only the first half until over an hour in ? Was briefly a bit peeved as I'd have just waited and watch them back to back had I known. That said, I did really like it. Villeneuve and Fraser were billed as something of a dream team and they've not disappointed. What is disappointing is the probable 2 and a half year wait to see part two.

Fun fact - part one reputedly cost an eye-watering $165 million to make. 

Dune.

Phenomenal. I am a fan of the book(s) but I am not one of those people who gets all snotty because a film maker's vision does not exactly match my own. I was in awe of every moment, completely drawn in. I did not notice that it was 2 and a half hours.

The casting was brilliant, the political menace of the Bene Gesserit and violence of the Harkonens was perfectly pitched. The absence of the emperor was a great touch (too powerful to appear in a film). The big kid in me wants an ornithopter.

One thing I didn't like was that worm sign was just a cloud of dust but you can't have everything.

I know that Warner brothers execs read this forum, so please make part 2.