Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

20 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Watched An American Werewolf in London on Saturday. Despite the Alamo joke and some great music, it hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped.

5/10.

Ah, one of my top 5 films. Love it.

A shame it didn't impress you but I think it's a rarity - a "horror comedy" which is both sufficiently scary and funny.

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I was really looking forward to it as I remember it being a great film from seeing it many years ago.

Saw it around 10 years after it was made and watched it again during the first lockdown. Love it.

Funny, sexy and still quite scary in parts. The scenes in the cinema and the Slaughtered Lamb pub remain some of my all-time faves. 

It also cost under £6 million to make which is pretty remarkable really.

Saw Dune last night. Haven’t read the book and thought it was excellent kept me interested and involved throughout. Only issue was in places the soundtrack made it difficult to pick up the dialogue…..increasingly poor hearing does not help though. Would happily see again. Paul Goddard/10

2 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Saw Dune last night. Haven’t read the book and thought it was excellent kept me interested and involved throughout. Only issue was in places the soundtrack made it difficult to pick up the dialogue…..increasingly poor hearing does not help though. Would happily see again. Paul Goddard/10

Subtitles are your friend.

Dune :

Never read the book or seen any other iteration of it, so went with the kids with no preconceptions...

Visually it felt incredibly stark, the whole colour palate seemed stripped back to greys and shades of black and white. The director has a vision which is there on the screen. Not for a second did I become self-aware that I was watching a film like I do with Marvel/DC stuff or even the new Start Wars films. 

Weirdly to me it felt similar (whilst simultaneously polar opposite to 'Mad Max Fury Road') that is high octane action, this is slow and mesmerising...but I found both totally immersive and complete as universes, I was convinced I understood the whole back story even with limited time spent in it.

No gimmicks, no dialogue full of quips or characters in any way designed for kids...just high quality drama and intrigue.  Hope the sequel happens and stays true to this first part.

8/10

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Halloween (1978)

Absolute crap. A real Bob Malcolm.

But the score is great. 

Interesting fact- or maybe not- the mask Michael Myers wears was a captain Kirk one coated with latex.  When you watch it and can see its William Shatners face you get a whole new twist.  The best bits where Jamie Lee Curtis stabs him with a knitting needle, then goes and sits down with her back to him thinking that's the end of him then.