Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

16 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Got this saved on Netflix. Question - is it too long? I know that the first 2 acts of the film are slow compared to the rush at the end, but I’ve seen complaints that the timing fees off because of this. Good to hear that you enjoyed it though

I love the way Tarantino sends everyone to sleep - then wakes them up with a bang. I can understand why people think it's too long - but then again, I used to enjoy Andy Warhol films. It probably explains why I was so fat - I was at the cinema long enough for a popcorn refill.

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

A re-imagining of the Manson murders.

Simply wonderful - this is what Tarantino is about.

Kevin Hector/10.

I was disappointed to be honest .  The set designs and clothing were very well thought out .  A fortune was spent on making everything looks as it did in 1969 which looked great and the soundtrack was great but I think the ending was poor.  All left me a bit cold. Probably expected more with the hype .  It's no Pulp Fiction.  A lot was cut apparently and a directors cut is supposed to be on the way, including a lot more of Emile Hersh Jay Sebring character, so will have another look then.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I was disappointed to be honest .  The set designs and clothing were very well thought out .  A fortune was spent on making everything looks as it did in 1969 which looked great and the soundtrack was great but I think the ending was poor.  All left me a bit cold. Probably expected more with the hype .  It's no Pulp Fiction.  A lot was cut apparently and a directors cut is supposed to be on the way, including a lot more of Emile Hersh Jay Sebring character, so will have another look then.

Yes, I will look forward to that.

Just watched an old British film from 1954, one which likely many of you have seen at some point.  i do enjoy these old British films, much prefer them to most American productions of that period.  i liked the film very much, it is a screen adaptation of a play, so it happens more or less in one room.  It's stars a fellow named Alastair Sim, who i recognize from other films.  The film is a bit uncomfortable at times, gives cause for reflection.  Good acting by all involved, especially Olga Lindo playing Mrs Birling.  i would give it 4/5 stars.

Oh the title

An Inspector Calls

Edited by ramit
typo

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

not even worthy of a rating or are you starting a game of "Mornington Crescent" (you need to listen to "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" to understand that one)? ?

I am a regular radio 4 listener over the last 2 decades and understand the reference! Paddington!!?

A Quiet Place - Part 2

At least as good as the first one & also good that it told the story of what happened when the aliens first arrived.

The son was annoying but then he was in the first one, so they're consistent at least. Emily Blunt great again and Cillian Murphy is really well cast as the neighboring farmer tasked with helping them survive, with just enough ambiguity about his history & motivations.

8/10

21 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

A Quiet Place - Part 2

At least as good as the first one & also good that it told the story of what happened when the aliens first arrived.

The son was annoying but then he was in the first one, so they're consistent at least. Emily Blunt great again and Cillian Murphy is really well cast as the neighboring farmer tasked with helping them survive, with just enough ambiguity about his history & motivations.

8/10

Depressed me when they pretty much immediately touted a sequel, but it's actually very good. The final part of the trilogy is already in pre-production apparently.  

54 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No Time to Die.

Brilliant with a heartbreaking ending.

The 2013/14 Derby County team / 10.

Agree.

Some nice nods to previous films - eg the theme and 'All the Time in the world' from OHMSS, the car-related death of a character a la For Your Eyes Only - and some of the best action sequences in any bond. The DB5 stuff ranks up there with the tank in Goldeneye, the boat chase in Live and Let Die.

On 20/09/2021 at 02:02, Eddie said:

Papillon (2017 remake)

Henri Charriere is imprisoned on Devil's Island and eventually escapes.

This is not a bad film by any means, but it is a pale shadow of the Dustin Hoffman/Steve McQueen classic

Arthur Stewart/10 (without the fantastic goal v the Dirties)

I was pondering that because the reviews are ok. When I was looking at it I asked the missus if she'd seen the original and her remark was, is that the one with the small guy in it?

I think she meant Hoffman and it was a brilliant film.

The Guilty with Jake Gyllenhaal on Netflix.

I'd normally steer clear of anything the IMDb scores under 7 because it rarely gets it wrong and this gets 6.3.

I watched it because many of the reviews ripping it were based around it not being as good as the Danish original.

I'm sure the US The Killing wasn't as good as the Danish version, but it was still really good.

I thought it this was pretty good too and Jake Gyllenhaal was his usual very solid self.

He plays a cop who is waiting to go to court for some unspecified issue (that emerges toward the end of the film) and is on 911 duty answering emergency calls.

He gets a call from a woman he believes to have been kidnapped by her ex-con husband and he's on a mission to find her before the guy kills her.

He is clearly a man with anger management issues and I'm pretty sure he'd not have been able to do some of the stuff he did like abusing people who call in when it's clearly not a legitimate emergency.

All the action takes place in the responders office and most of the cast only appear by voice at the end of a phone line.

I can imagine that if you have seen the original then this would be a let down as much because you'd know the plot twists (and there are some good ones), rather than because it's poorly acted, filmed or paced.

It's not your usual thriller as it's a bit bleak and there's no car chasers or gun fights but I'd definitely give it a Darryl Powell/10.

Edited by Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was pondering that because the reviews are ok. When I was looking at it I asked the missus if she'd seen the original and her remark was, is that the one with the small guy in it?

I think she meant Hoffman and it was a brilliant film.

I'd be interested in views of anyone who has not seen the original...although that's really clutching at straws! There was also a book sequel. Will try and track that down.