Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 17/08/2020 at 05:14, Chester40 said:

Avengers Endgame. 

Finally seen it, having watched most of the preceeding films without being a massive fan. Enjoyed various Thor, Spiderman and Iron Man films to the main Avenger films. However, having heard positive things I had high hopes. 

Tbf... I found it pretty boring. Very slow and unnecessarily long. Lots of talking and various plot lines I didn't care about or choose to follow. I had no emotional connection to any of the characters and found it hard to engage with much of it, the odd funny line carried it for me alone and speculating how much the cast must have cost to assemble. 

5/10

Considering it drew huge numbers of people and is the highest grossing film of all time, you probably fit into a large category of people. It was absolutely for the fans, and those who have committed 10 years of following along with all the story beats. As someone who was expecting lots and am a fan, I absolutely loved it.

It is supposed to be messy in places, as it represents the Avengers response to Thanos (Infinity is his film and is smooth, slick, and relentless, like his plan) Sorry, not that you wanted this explaining!

I can understand people not liking it or meeting the hype. There will be more though!

Oh, and the Portals scene, best film moment for me. And i mean ever.

11 hours ago, r4derby said:

Considering it drew huge numbers of people and is the highest grossing film of all time, you probably fit into a large category of people. It was absolutely for the fans, and those who have committed 10 years of following along with all the story beats. As someone who was expecting lots and am a fan, I absolutely loved it.

It is supposed to be messy in places, as it represents the Avengers response to Thanos (Infinity is his film and is smooth, slick, and relentless, like his plan) Sorry, not that you wanted this explaining!

I can understand people not liking it or meeting the hype. There will be more though!

Oh, and the Portals scene, best film moment for me. And i mean ever.

My eldest is very much into the genre so I understood the significance and aspects of the culmination...and he enjoyed it. 

I rated it purely on what I saw, and not a lot happened. Other than people in outlandish outfits talking emotionally about various scenarios which I just felt cold to, it all seemed faintly ludicrous. Iron Man, Thor Ragnarok,.. Avengers Assemble were a blast and enjoyable silliness, I suppose I can't take the whole franchise seriously on an emotional level. 

Have watched Knives Out three times now. Its still great. The acting is a joy and the twists are enjoyable to watch over again. 

"The Last Samurai"

Alternately panned and praised by critics at the time, I finally got round to watching it last night.

I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise, but I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the battle scenes (which is sort-of missing the point really if you are into romantic period dramas - which I am normally)

8/10.

On 23/08/2020 at 17:41, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Most recently:

Hot Fuzz 6/10

The Goonies 5/10

Both are pretty meh.

How very dare thee!!!

Hot Fuzz gets a 8/10 just for Nick Frost's attempt at fence-jumping alone and The Goonies has both the truffle-shuffle AND Ian Dowie's acting debut to recommend it.

Dark Encounter (Prime Video)

Just watched this. Weird

On the first anniversary of their daughter's disappearance, a family gets together after a memorial service & then start seeing lights in the sky and followed by weirdness from then on....

Think Close Encounters meets Signs. With a good twist ending.

Low budget B movie but worth a watch. 

7/10

Joker

Terrific performance from Joachin Phoenix.

I’m not a big fan of the superhero movies but found this to be quite compelling.

A dark tale of a man with many issues to overcome, not least the way he is treated by his fellow man.

Watching the pot boil is excruciating at times but Phoenix’s performance keeps you on the hook.

I’d say a solid 8/10.

Went to TENET last night as a lover of Nolan's Inception, Interstellar, Memento and The Prestige.

I didn't know what the film was going to be about, but it turned out to link to areas of my scientific expertise on which Nolan decided to build the plot. I found it so disappointing. It might be that on the third or fourth watch it falls into place, but a film has got to give you a decent payoff on first viewing.

I'll give it 3/10 for some pretty scenes and the mention in the script of Richard Feynman.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Went to TENET last night as a lover of Nolan's Inception, Interstellar, Memento and The Prestige.

I didn't know what the film was going to be about, but it turned out to link to areas of my scientific expertise on which Nolan decided to build the plot. I found it so disappointing. It might be that on the third or fourth watch it falls into place, but a film has got to give you a decent payoff on first viewing.

I'll give it 3/10 for some pretty scenes and the mention in the script of Richard Feynman.

Love those films too.... Oh no!!! Going tomorrow.. 

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Love those films too.... Oh no!!! Going tomorrow.. 

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hope you find it better than I did. Report back!

This report will be the deciding factor for whether I go to the cinema to watch this, or find a moody stream online! 

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

This report will be the deciding factor for whether I go to the cinema to watch this, or find a moody stream online! 

No pressure..... 

I will try to be objective... I did just moan about Endgame being boring so maybe bear that in mind. 

The Prestige, Memento and Inception would probably feature in my top 20 films of all time so I am going in looking for it to be good.