Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to sitting down for 3 hours+ to watch IT: Chapter 2

Not as good as the first part and way too long. The whole middle section where the group splits up could have been removed. Unsatisfying ending as well - lasted too long and lacked drama IMO.

Having said that, it has a good cast and probably enough creepy moments to still get a 6/10 from me.

Passengers: story of a spaceship where 5000 humans are hibernating during a 120 year journey to a colony, but something goes wrong with the hibernation pod causing someone to wake up early.

Not quite in the Interstellar league, but a good watch all the same, and it has Jennifer Lawrence in it too. Yum.

7/10 (Kris Commons/10)

The Laundromat.  Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas, Meryl Streep and other fine performances.  A pitch black comedy about the tricky world of big money gymnastics and it's rare consequences.  A beautiful hilariously disturbing little film. 

Hats off to all involved with that project.  ****1/2

14 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Papillon: based on true story of French penal colonies. Quite brutal, starring Charlie Hunnam (Jax from Sons of Anarchy) and Rami Malek (Mr Robot/ Freddie Mercury). I enjoyed it and would recommend it. 

Louie Sibley/10

The book is also excellent and much longer than both films.

Avengers Endgame. 

Finally seen it, having watched most of the preceeding films without being a massive fan. Enjoyed various Thor, Spiderman and Iron Man films to the main Avenger films. However, having heard positive things I had high hopes. 

Tbf... I found it pretty boring. Very slow and unnecessarily long. Lots of talking and various plot lines I didn't care about or choose to follow. I had no emotional connection to any of the characters and found it hard to engage with much of it, the odd funny line carried it for me alone and speculating how much the cast must have cost to assemble. 

5/10

On 13/08/2020 at 19:08, Mostyn6 said:

Passengers: story of a spaceship where 5000 humans are hibernating during a 120 year journey to a colony, but something goes wrong with the hibernation pod causing someone to wake up early.

Not quite in the Interstellar league, but a good watch all the same, and it has Jennifer Lawrence in it too. Yum.

7/10 (Kris Commons/10)

Agreed & I watched this again a couple of weeks ago.

The film is quite divisive online, because of, erm (spolier check).....what he did. Some of the imdb comments conclude that it's a problem because the film trailer was misleading, selling it as a romantic adventure film, rather than something a bit darker. Also many concluded that it wouldn't be so much of a problem if the story was told from her point of view.

I still enjoyed it, anyway & would be a 7/10 from me as well.

On 15/08/2020 at 21:52, Mostyn6 said:

Papillon: based on true story of French penal colonies. Quite brutal, starring Charlie Hunnam (Jax from Sons of Anarchy) and Rami Malek (Mr Robot/ Freddie Mercury). I enjoyed it and would recommend it. 

Louie Sibley/10

Is it better than the original with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman though?

Brace yourselves, and this might be the cause of a whole new debate even more polarised than the politics thread.

Finally, at the age of 60, as my grandsons are both big fans, I managed to watch my first ever Star Wars film: The phantom menace. 

Have to say, I was underwhelmed. Too much reliance on special effects, fight scenes and racing around for my liking. Although the film was only just over two hours, it seemed to go on for ever and I was willing it to end as I had vowed to watch it all the way through. (Tin helmet firmly in place awaiting any responses).

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Brace yourselves, and this might be the cause of a whole new debate even more polarised than the politics thread.

Finally, at the age of 60, as my grandsons are both big fans, I managed to watch my first ever Star Wars film: The phantom menace. 

Have to say, I was underwhelmed. Too much reliance on special effects, fight scenes and racing around for my liking. Although the film was only just over two hours, it seemed to go on for ever and I was willing it to end as I had vowed to watch it all the way through. (Tin helmet firmly in place awaiting any responses).

I don't think that's a controversial view. Many regard it as the worst of all the SW films.

I just found it mostly dull (endless talk of trade embargoes and politics) and annoying (JarJar Binks). They also had a great villain in Darth Maul and then wasted the opportunity by killing him off too quickly.

Awful film.

21 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I don't think that's a controversial view. Many regard it as the worst of all the SW films.

I just found it mostly dull (endless talk of trade embargoes and politics) and annoying (JarJar Binks). They also had a great villain in Darth Maul and then wasted the opportunity by killing him off too quickly.

Awful film.

Fair enough. Trouble is it hasn't exactly inspired me to want to watch any of the others. 

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Fair enough. Trouble is it hasn't exactly inspired me to want to watch any of the others. 

I don't want to turn this thread into a SW debate but IMO Episodes 2 and 3 are better. The story picks up pace and, bar some truly awful script in Ep 2, they are more entertaining. Then, of course, 4, 5 and (less so) 6 are classics

At least you know it can only improve!