Derby in advanced talks with American billionaire Michael Dell over major financial injection

Bubbles

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pessimistically, this loan may be just to see us through to the end of the season, WITHOUT any signings.

Sevco 5112 losses in the 17/18 season (excluding stadium profit) was £41m. Take off the savings in wages, add on the lost revenue due to no fans and it's possible we reach the £30m figure.

I think this is more realistic. There is still the moral issues of going out and spending lots on players when people have been furloughed etc..

Still, it's nice to believe that we will go and sign the players we need for a promotion push, this last year has been woeful, anything to give us hope.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn’t the first time Maguire has posted something without knowing the full details, which I think helps suit his agenda and biases. 

Not saying he’s got anything wrong, it’s just not a very good trait for a journalist to have. I’d much rather he waited a day to get his facts in order before a ‘LOOK AT WHAT Derby HAVE DONE NOW’ thread appears.

Just now, TuffLuff said:

This isn’t the first time Maguire has posted something without knowing the full details, which I think helps suit his agenda and biases. 

Not saying he’s got anything wrong, it’s just not a very good trait for a journalist to have. I’d much rather he waited a day to get his facts in order before a ‘LOOK AT WHAT Derby HAVE DONE NOW’ thread appears.

He does it for the same reason local papers based in the North-East pop up on the Derby County NewsNow feed. Stick Derby in the title and people interact with it. Some are Derby fans after the news, some are fans of other clubs pathetically rummaging around for something they can post on twitter to try and look funny.

Either way, Derby (like a few of the bigger clubs in this division) drive 'engagement', so it will keep happening.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pessimistically, this loan may be just to see us through to the end of the season, WITHOUT any signings.

Sevco 5112 losses in the 17/18 season (excluding stadium profit) was £41m. Take off the savings in wages, add on the lost revenue due to no fans and it's possible we reach the £30m figure.

Yep - Fully agree.

Except - it'll still need to be paid off in the future and I rather suspect there is a nice little interest rate on it.

However, it may free up a little bit of cash to actually buy players.

I imagine £29m income is down to circa £10-£15 Million.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yep - Fully agree.

Except - it'll still need to be paid off in the future and I rather suspect there is a nice little interest rate on it.

However, it may free up a little bit of cash to actually buy players.

I imagine £29m income is down to circa £10-£15 Million.

Roughly £9.1m down for the season (£400k per match)
£4m down for commercial and hospitality income

I don't think we'll lose much more than that... takes us down to about £16m compared to 17/18, but our income should have increased a bit since then, especially with increased sponsorship.

This may be countered slightly by an increase in solidarity payments from the Premier League, more games on Sky, and increased sponsorship due to greater TV exposure.

If I had to guess, I'll say our revenue for the 20/21 season will be in the region of £20m.

8 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He does it for the same reason local papers based in the North-East pop up on the Derby County NewsNow feed. Stick Derby in the title and people interact with it. Some are Derby fans after the news, some are fans of other clubs pathetically rummaging around for something they can post on twitter to try and look funny.

Either way, Derby (like a few of the bigger clubs in this division) drive 'engagement', so it will keep happening.

Aye it’s all part of the journalism game, but Maguire’s problem is he deals in sensationalism when he could easily be working with facts and figures to make a point he largely has the moral high ground on (in terms of FFP). Essentially it makes me more sceptical of him than I should be.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't think we'll lose much more than that... takes us down to about £16m compared to 17/18, but our income should have increased a bit since then, especially with increased sponsorship.

This may be countered slightly by an increase in solidarity payments from the Premier League, more games on Sky, and increased sponsorship due to greater TV exposure.

If I had to guess, I'll say our revenue for the 20/21 season will be in the region of £20m.

STH holders still paying a fair proportion of their normal contribution. Pay per view TV coverage will be very profitable and we were already set up. Our outgoings will also be lower - staff, policing etc. We'll lose out on hospitality, but I suspect that our bottom line will be far less drastically hit than it appears at first glance.

4 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Or it could be that Mel’s pumping millions into the club and struggling with the monthly running costs.....

My concern exactly.

Don’t be surprised if we don’t see any/much of this loan money go transfers, I suspect it will cover the running costs of the club, salaries and revenue lost over lockdown.

This loan may be the thing that’s kept the wolf from the door in terms of administration.

Still, the ‘happy clapper’ in me will take a bit more of an interest when we’re linked with a player from now on. Yesterday I think it was fairly clear we either weren’t going to sign anyone or bargain basement loans.

But tomorrow, who knows ?‍♂️?

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Not saying he’s got anything wrong, it’s just not a very good trait for a journalist to have. I’d much rather he waited a day to get his facts in order before a ‘LOOK AT WHAT Derby HAVE DONE NOW’ thread appears.

I don't think its fair to blame Maguire for pointing out that we have taken a loan out before the club give an explanation for it. His job is to break news and he is very good at investigating the financial side of the game. I also don't know what his biases are. Are they against us? Surely that's not fair as we already have the EFL, the FA, and every single referee in the world against us, not to mention the gypsy curse of days of yore ?.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53751251

Derby County have secured a loan against their Pride Park stadium to help them through the financial turmoil created by the coronavirus pandemic.

BBC Sport has been told it effectively replaces the mortgage that was in place when Morris bought the Championship club in 2015.

It is felt the additional funds will give club officials time to finalise investment into Derby, something Morris had been looking to secure for over 12 months before the pandemic led to the game being shut down and then restarting behind closed doors.

2 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I don't think its fair to blame Maguire for pointing out that we have taken a loan out before the club give an explanation for it. His job is to break news and he is very good at investigating the financial side of the game. I also don't know what his biases are. Are they against us? Surely that's not fair as we already have the EFL, the FA, and every single referee in the world against us, not to mention the gypsy curse of days of yore ?.

It's not his job. He doesn't have a news outlet he writes or anything. He's a university lecturer who likes to grass up clubs he doesn't like.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Also the cost of per match overheads, which means the losses are not as harsh. 

Archived