v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Coconut said:

If Cocu didn't change the team as often as he does we could easily be where Stoke & Boro are now. It's easy to blame him for the results that go against us after changes but nobody is acknowledging that those very same changes might just be the reason we aren't genuinely in a relegation fight!

That can’t be proved one way or the other. 
However there is a counter argument that teams tend to improve with consistency of selection and the opportunity to establish partnerships and understandings and organisation at corners etc etc. The top sides in any league will have six or seven players who have started 80% of games. We have two players who have achieved that and they are probably not the two individuals most people would have predicted. 
We seem to be finding something that works now, but we have worked our way through a lot of permutations to get here. 

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

If Cocu didn't change the team as often as he does we could easily be where Stoke & Boro are now. It's easy to blame him for the results that go against us after changes but nobody is acknowledging that those very same changes might just be the reason we aren't genuinely in a relegation fight!

We aren't in a relegation fight because so many  of the starters and subs today have played umpteen games for us in sides that have reached the play-offs, in some cases more than once. Then you add in Rooney and his experience. The quality available to Cocu should have meant we were never near a relegation fight, instead we got perilously close at the turn of the year.

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That move and pass he made for the second goal.was outrageous!

We would be mad not to offer him another contract,I'm sure cocu has realised what we have in him....and what we lack when he isn't in the team.

It's crazy that he is still so important to us as he was under Mac 5 years ago.

Yep get him signed ,,,, little note though ,is cocu s management  bringing out the old Chris Martin? For me you can see players starting to find themselves again ,Martin ,wizzy, fozzy ,Lawrence his best run ever for us ,young lads stepping in and looking the part ?

any credit?

49 minutes ago, Archied said:

Yep get him signed ,,,, little note though ,is cocu s management  bringing out the old Chris Martin? For me you can see players starting to find themselves again ,Martin ,wizzy, fozzy ,Lawrence his best run ever for us ,young lads stepping in and looking the part ?

any credit?

Not when he chooses Marriott to lead the line instead of Martin and drops Forsyth for Lowe for no good reason, as he did midweek - and we lost!

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Does anybody know what the ref was like today? And be careful - I may have copywright on moaning at refs!

Was on our side in the first mate, but then felt sorry for em at 0-3

Should have been strung up in second

All in all - not a bad game ?

I'm providing balance, I'm playing devil's advocate, my posts are ever so thought provoking and anyway, it'd be boring if everyone said the same thing. Credit where credit's due BUT...

Am I doing it right?

Tedious AF.

• Chris can't play every game, nor even close to it. He has collitis. It's astounding that we get as many games out of him as we do and a huge credit to Chris himself. How many times do you need to be told this same simple truth?
  • We did not lose on Tuesday because Fozzy didn't start, we lost because we missed too many chances in front of goal.
  • At times we are starting to play some of the slickest passing football since the 13/14 season if you'd actually care to look.
  • Cocu is improving the basic skills of every player at the club. Again, it's quite noticeable if you care to look.
  • Cocu is turning some of our kids into genuine premiership quality players. Their rate of improvement is exponential and it's joyous to behold.
  • Cocu has tapped and unleashed the potential in game changers like Duncan and even more so Tom. In Tom's case, he done what his predecessors could not. Tom's improvement in all aspects of his game is nothing short of miraculous and he is playing with a smile on his face. It's the first time he's looked genuinely happy at the club, in my opinion at least. If this is maintained, he can be a top player in this division and hold his own in the premiership too.
  • Cocu has forged a brilliant alliance with Rooney. Wayne is the on-field leader who marshals the lads and ensures that Cocu's instructions are carried out. Cocu's calm intellect allied to Wayne's fiery passion and leadership qualities is a match made in heaven. We should appreciate it while it lasts.
  • Next season we will secure automatic promotion - Quote me, screenshot me, @ me.

Rather than desperately looking for negatives in every game and team selection, we might instead consider that Cocu, throughout all of the on and off-field turbulence has remained, calm, consistent and considered in his approach, as have his staff. He has taken a much longer term view than any coach we have seen at Derby in long, long time and is actually trying to build something sustainable, rather than pandering to the kneejerkers who demand instant success. It should be obvious to all, though clearly it is not, that part of this process is creating a squad, rather than just an 11 which will, I believe, pay huge dividends. More power to him, I say. 

COYR

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

At times we are starting to play some of the slickest passing football since the 13/14 season if you'd actually care to look

100% without a doubt. Our passing is getting better with every game. Some of our passages of play were a joy to watch. It's no rapid change like McClaren, but if you compare our first few fixtures with how we're playing now, the difference is stark. We're a much, much better side. With a few more of Cocu's signings in, and with him getting a full preseason and now understanding the league, the only way is up. Feeling hugely positive about the future.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

100% without a doubt. Our passing is getting better with every game. Some of our passages of play were a joy to watch. It's no rapid change like McClaren, but if you compare our first few fixtures with how we're playing now, the difference is stark. We're a much, much better side. With a few more of Cocu's signings in, and with him getting a full preseason and now understanding the league, the only way is up. Feeling hugely positive about the future.

He's starting to win a good few over and rightly so. He's been immensely brave as it must have been clear from the start that he faced a huge task at the club, even before all the mishaps and bumps in the road. He Chris and Twan have all been at pains to point out the time spent coaching players individually and I believe this is absolutely core to the improved team performances. I think Tommy Lawrence is the best example of this. He's always had bags of ability as I've bored everyone stupid saying again and again, but that ability is no use without structure. His decision making and understanding is so much better now and you can see his confidence and will to win growing with every game.

It's so frustrating in some ways, as with an extra player or two, or even without the idiocy that led to us losing Keogh, we might well have been play-off bound this season. As it is, a little more patience is required but I feel certain it'll be worth the wait.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

He's starting to win a good few over and rightly so. He's been immensely brave as it must have been clear from the start that he faced a huge task at the club, even before all the mishaps and bumps in the road. He Chris and Twan have all been at pains to point out the time spent coaching players individually and I believe this is absolutely core to the improved team performances. I think Tommy Lawrence is the best example of this. He's always had bags of ability as I've bored everyone stupid saying again and again, but that ability is no use without structure. His decision making and understanding is so much better now and you can see his confidence and will to win growing with every game.

It's so frustrating in some ways, as with an extra player or two, or even without the idiocy that led to us losing Keogh, we might well have been play-off bound this season. As it is, a little more patience is required but I feel certain it'll be worth the wait.

Won me over. Thought Cocu was going to end up as just another one of a long run of recent managers we've had that doesn't work. Happy to say I was wrong on this one, he's a class above. The coaching is definitely coming into it's own now. As you say, Lawrence has improved dramatically recently, his decision making is hugely improved. That's always been his problem. 

I'm ok with us missing playoffs this year, to be entirely honest, I don't think we're quite ready or at that stage yet. Another year and two more transfer windows, and we'll be competing at the top. It feels as if we've turned a corner, and we're going in the right direction. 

7 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Does anybody know what the ref was like today? And be careful - I may have copywright on moaning at refs!

Bannan should have received a yellow late on. But as he was already on a yellow and the ref felt sorry for them, it was only a talking to. A couple of slightly soft fouls given to each side, but did very well overall. Probably our best ref this season. 

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

• Next season we will secure automatic promotion - Quote me, screenshot me, @ me.

Cracking post that @86 Schmokes & a Pancake, I've quoted the above specifically as I'm also certain we'll be contesting the top 2 spots in this division next season. The only caveats to that are a) Cocu staying & b) no points deduction. Everything else is moving in exactly the direction you'd want it to, including the progress & harsh lessons being learnt by our ex-Academy lads.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Won me over. Thought Cocu was going to end up as just another one of a long run of recent managers we've had that doesn't work. Happy to say I was wrong on this one, he's a class above. The coaching is definitely coming into it's own now. As you say, Lawrence has improved dramatically recently, his decision making is hugely improved. That's always been his problem. 

I'm ok with us missing playoffs this year, to be entirely honest, I don't think we're quite ready or at that stage yet. Another year and two more transfer windows, and we'll be competing at the top. It feels as if we've turned a corner, and we're going in the right direction. 

Classy post this @Andicis. To be fair, around Christmas time things were looking bleak & not unreasonable at all to ask serious questions about the direction of the club. I always thought Cocu's pedigree at PSV & his stated aim of long term development of squad, young players & club ethos, meant he was worth the investment in time. Always knew Rooney's arrival would improve things but Bird's emergence has been just as important (and one I didnt foresee).

Dont get me wrong, we're not perfect & there will be bumps in the road. But we are as strong at home as ever & we're starting to play well away from home (albeit prone to idiotic lapses). The summer business will be very interesting but I think a lot of the foundations for future success have been built this season including dealing with the adversity that has plagued so much of this season.

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

We aren't in a relegation fight because so many  of the starters and subs today have played umpteen games for us in sides that have reached the play-offs, in some cases more than once. Then you add in Rooney and his experience. The quality available to Cocu should have meant we were never near a relegation fight, instead we got perilously close at the turn of the year.

'Perilously close' ??????????

Its a shame that every issue becomes pro or anti the manager. This was particularly evident under the rowett regime. It is possible to support the club and the manager without necessarily believing that that every single decision is 100% correct. I doubt whether cocu even thinks that he got everything right.

We have just witnessed the best 45 minutes of football in years with the possible exception of the leeds utd play off semi final second leg, second half. The passing and the movement was fantastic. It leaves everybody buzzing. Its a pity that we couldn't get more from the previous four games and put ourselves in genuine contention for 6th but we can't really complain about the two home draws. Both fulham and huddersfield each deserved their point. We were arguably the better team v fulham but their keeper made some great saves. Our weakness was exposed away at bristol when the defence crumbled under no real pressure. Qpr was a game of fine margins. A poor second goal conceded and a glaring miss right at the death.

the loss of bielik and the emergence of bird has changed the nature of our play. We move the ball so much better now. We also seem to defend better with fozzy at left back. On his day and with willing runners around him, chris martin brings a whole new dimension to our play. But it needs holmes or knight, rather than shinnie or evans to work best. 

the football is definately improved. This is proper football not the rowett stuff. The manager is working with the players provided but he hasn't yet declared his hand. Who's in. who's out. He has big decisions to make with regards to expiring contracts, especially Huddlestone, forsyth, martin, and maybe also marriott.

We don't know what future direction he wants to go in. He seems like a pragmatist rather than an idealist, ready to work with whatever players the club can provide, rather than having a pre-conceived idea of the changes he wants to make; like Pearson demanding pace, or Rowett favouring missiles and runners. the academy seems to have a few more ready to roll off the production line, but there are still a few gaps we need to fill with good recruitment. 

Has he delivered progress? yes. we dipped a bit in december but the brutal truth is that we are a better team without Bielik. Maybe fate played a part but the manager seems to have found a very good midfield to build upon. 

Archived