v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its a shame that every issue becomes pro or anti the manager. This was particularly evident under the rowett regime. It is possible to support the club and the manager without necessarily believing that that every single decision is 100% correct. I doubt whether cocu even thinks that he got everything right.

We have just witnessed the best 45 minutes of football in years with the possible exception of the leeds utd play off semi final second leg, second half. The passing and the movement was fantastic. It leaves everybody buzzing. Its a pity that we couldn't get more from the previous four games and put ourselves in genuine contention for 6th but we can't really complain about the two home draws. Both fulham and huddersfield each deserved their point. We were arguably the better team v fulham but their keeper made some great saves. Our weakness was exposed away at bristol when the defence crumbled under no real pressure. Qpr was a game of fine margins. A poor second goal conceded and a glaring miss right at the death.

the loss of bielik and the emergence of bird has changed the nature of our play. We move the ball so much better now. We also seem to defend better with fozzy at left back. On his day and with willing runners around him, chris martin brings a whole new dimension to our play. But it needs holmes or knight, rather than shinnie or evans to work best. 

the football is definately improved. This is proper football not the rowett stuff. The manager is working with the players provided but he hasn't yet declared his hand. Who's in. who's out. He has big decisions to make with regards to expiring contracts, especially Huddlestone, forsyth, martin, and maybe also marriott.

We don't know what future direction he wants to go in. He seems like a pragmatist rather than an idealist, ready to work with whatever players the club can provide, rather than having a pre-conceived idea of the changes he wants to make; like Pearson demanding pace, or Rowett favouring missiles and runners. the academy seems to have a few more ready to roll off the production line, but there are still a few gaps we need to fill with good recruitment. 

Has he delivered progress? yes. we dipped a bit in december but the brutal truth is that we are a better team without Bielik. Maybe fate played a part but the manager seems to have found a very good midfield to build upon. 

I personally don’t think we can solely attribute everything on the Bielik and Bird swap.

Ultimately Bielik never got to play a game partnered with Rooney in midfield. It would be patronising to Max to say he is only playing well because he has Rooney next to him, but as a young player it is no surprise that he is able to perform considerably better than anything we have seen before from him when he is sat next to one of the most intelligent footballers the game has seen. It’s easy to forget Bielik is also a young player (considering he looks about 33 and moves like he is 43) and was defensively the most dominant midfielder in the league pre injury according to some stats. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, superzak said:

i wonder if Bielik would have shown his obvious quality if he had stayed fit and got to play with the Rooney effect.

I doubt whether we can have bielik, bird and rooney, without sacrificing  one or more of the midfield runners - holmes and knight. 

6 minutes ago, nottingram said:

It would be patronising to Max to say he is only playing well because he has Rooney next to him, but as a young player it is no surprise that he is able to perform considerably better than anything we have seen before from him when he is sat next to one of the most intelligent footballers the game has seen. 

Agreed. Max bird has been a revelation. Given a few more games it has to be Bird or Rooney for POTY.

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm providing balance, I'm playing...

Won't quote the entire post but this contribution should not be lost in a matchday thread, it should head a topic all of its own. Furthermore, that topic should be pinned at the top of the forum.

Great post ?

1 hour ago, superzak said:

i wonder if Bielik would have shown his obvious quality if he had stayed fit and got to play with the Rooney effect.

It’s a shame because I thought Rooney could have massive for Bielik in terms of temperament.

I would put a fully fit Bielik behind Max Bird as a midfielder at the minute.

15 hours ago, Coconut said:

It's OK B4

The only spring chicken there's today was @DarkFruitsRam7's cousin once removed.

Well, I say chicken, but with his history at Hillsborough...

Unfortunately I wasn’t there yesterday, as I was cut off from the world in the hills of Buxton.

It’s so strange coming back today and having no idea what happened yesterday. I don’t like it at all.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I doubt whether we can have bielik, bird and rooney, without sacrificing  one or more of the midfield runners - holmes and knight. 

True. But there will be matches, periods within matches, circumstance - injury, bookings, suspensions  - groups of games and  particular opponents, when that will be a good thing to do and a good option to have

Amidst the positive comments about Chris Martin's performance two of the qualities he brings are aggression and attitude which we don't quite have elsewhere in the team (with the exception of Rooney who is doing very well in mostly reining it in).

Yesterday's game started with their kick off, played back to their centre half. Chris half heartedly chased after it and in doing so deliberately went straight through and over their right back, claiming innocence as only he can when the referee shouted at him. As a statement of intent it set a tone.

8 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Not when he chooses Marriott to lead the line instead of Martin and drops Forsyth for Lowe for no good reason, as he did midweek - and we lost!

This is what makes me laugh most , if football worked how you describe half the teams in every division would never change their team ,no youngsters would get a chance in a side performing well,no player would come back from injury ,no player would regain form and no team would lose again once it’s won once ?

we lost Tuesday ,we won Saturday, there was no big change in tactics or approach we performed decent in both ,a good break with deflection set us off well and we ran with it ,

we have a SQUAD of players that are buying into cocu s methods and getting better at playing his way ,he has to get the balance of giving players starts and minutes ,keeping them happy and hungry 

if it were as simple as you see it then every fooker would be a Successful manager ,,,,, ooops forgot they are on champ manager computer games?

19 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Unfortunately I wasn’t there yesterday, as I was cut off from the world in the hills of Buxton.

It’s so strange coming back today and having no idea what happened yesterday. I don’t like it at all.

Probably best you not going to Hillsborough to be fair ?

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Amidst the positive comments about Chris Martin's performance two of the qualities he brings are aggression and attitude which we don't quite have elsewhere in the team (with the exception of Rooney who is doing very well in mostly reining it in).

Yesterday's game started with their kick off, played back to their centre half. Chris half heartedly chased after it and in doing so deliberately went straight through and over their right back, claiming innocence as only he can when the referee shouted at him. As a statement of intent it set a tone.

Very amusing commentary by Shane nicholson

Owen: “ooh something happened there with Chris Martin”

Shane: ”yes....that was a battering ram at its best” ??

3 hours ago, Archied said:

This is what makes me laugh most , if football worked how you describe half the teams in every division would never change their team ,no youngsters would get a chance in a side performing well,no player would come back from injury ,no player would regain form and no team would lose again once it’s won once ?

we lost Tuesday ,we won Saturday, there was no big change in tactics or approach we performed decent in both ,a good break with deflection set us off well and we ran with it ,

we have a SQUAD of players that are buying into cocu s methods and getting better at playing his way ,he has to get the balance of giving players starts and minutes ,keeping them happy and hungry 

if it were as simple as you see it then every fooker would be a Successful manager ,,,,, ooops forgot they are on champ manager computer games?

Ludicrous post .   "no big change in tactics or approaches " Does  having Shinnie in midfield change the play ? Of course it does and presumably Shinnie was dropped because Cocu wanted something different. Did Marriott on Tuesday  provide the link up play that Martin gave yesterday  - did Martin playing change the way we played?  Was it a more attacking line-up yesterday ? (If you are stuck, =YES )

Like many on here you can't stand different views to your own and resort to comments like "you think you know better  than Cocu" or "if it were as simple as you see it then every fooker would be a Successful manager" as a way of disarming others. But the true mindset of all posters ,with perhaps a very few exceptions , is that they are simply giving their views as football supporters, nothing more than that. How many managers get sacked each year for failing? Should all their fans resist criticising their manager if they wish? No.

27 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Ludicrous post .   "no big change in tactics or approaches " Does  having Shinnie in midfield change the play ? Of course it does and presumably Shinnie was dropped because Cocu wanted something different. Did Marriott on Tuesday  provide the link up play that Martin gave yesterday  - did Martin playing change the way we played?  Was it a more attacking line-up yesterday ? (If you are stuck, =YES )

Like many on here you can't stand different views to your own and resort to comments like "you think you know better  than Cocu" or "if it were as simple as you see it then every fooker would be a Successful manager" as a way of disarming others. But the true mindset of all posters ,with perhaps a very few exceptions , is that they are simply giving their views as football supporters, nothing more than that. How many managers get sacked each year for failing? Should all their fans resist criticising their manager if they wish? No.

How many managers get sacked each year because knee jerk want it all now know better fans make their jobs a nightmare , that same 11 that started against weds could easily lose the next 3 game’s narrowly then what ? 
ps when Shinnie first came in yes he did change the play ,the performance and results for the good 

god save us from hindsight amateur managers 

Archived