v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Sean

7 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That move and pass he made for the second goal.was outrageous!

We would be mad not to offer him another contract,I'm sure cocu has realised what we have in him....and what we lack when he isn't Inn the team.

It's crazy that he is still so.important to us as he was under Mac 5 years ago.

It’s not really. Some players have vision and it doesn’t ever decline. Chris Martin is a superb footballer; he has 360 degree vision and a deft touch which unlocks defences. You just have to be in tune with him to profit. He’s easily good enough to have another season. I’m going to renew our season tickets simply because I want to watch Chris Martin play & I hope he stays at Derby County for a few seasons yet. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s not really. Some players have vision and it doesn’t ever decline. Chris Martin is a superb footballer; he has 360 degree vision and a deft touch which unlocks defences. You just have to be in tune with him to profit. He’s easily good enough to have another season. I’m going to renew our season tickets simply because I want to watch Chris Martin play & I hope he stays at Derby County for a few seasons yet. 

Likewise and watching Chris and Rooney play with their insight and vision is a rare spectacle in this division.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't get at least one more season of Martin's magic.

Surprised again that not many of you (  @angieram did ) have picked up on the return of Jason Knight and his work ethic that drives us on, creates energy within the team, he sets a good tempo within the team, none of you had mentioned how much we missed Jason Knight on the pitch and his commitment to the cause in the Bristol City game thread, and again not many of you have picked up on his return and how effective we are when he plays.

Remember how Wayne Rooney praised the youngsters in training and in particular Jason Knight, his energy, his attitude and that he almost reminded himself of when he was a youngster in terms of playing with no fear. He has got an aggression about him, not in terms of his tackling but how he runs, how he gets about the pitch.

I'll just have to do it for you again.

PS.......I love Chris Martin.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Something weird was going on today - we (The Rams) won away with a load of goals, and we (my daughter, wife and I) got to A & E, got seen, x-rayed, diagnosed, treated and sent home in an hour. Brilliant.

Actually, a BIG shout out to A & E staff who were wonderful.

And a BIG shout out to the Rams, who were wonderful!

Glad to hear your girls ok, in the circumstances.

Wouldn't be one of your posts mind if you don't bash the ref!

22 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Surprised again that not many of you (  @angieram did ) have picked up on the return of Jason Knight and his work ethic that drives us on, creates energy within the team, he sets a good tempo within the team, none of you had mentioned how much we missed Jason Knight on the pitch and his commitment to the cause in the Bristol City game thread, and again not many of you have picked up on his return and how effective we are when he plays.

Remember how Wayne Rooney praised the youngsters in training and in particular Jason Knight, his energy, his attitude and that he almost reminded himself of when he was a youngster in terms of playing with no fear. He has got an aggression about him, not in terms of his tackling but how he runs, how he gets about the pitch.

I am a huge Jason knight fan. He is so hardworking and brave and mature beyond his years. In fairness many posters observed that knight was the obvious replacement for Holmes . Despite shinnie’s industry etc we lost something by going slightly more defensive. 

he was terrific today. Bird, knight, and Rooney outnumbered and outplayed bannan and lee in the middle, and we were rampant in the first half. That’s why I was surprised that we subbed our midfield dynamo, lost the numerical advantage, and settled for a pragmatic back's to the wall  game plan thereafter. 

we thought bogle and Lowe were the best of the academy prospects, but bird and knight are even better. 

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Just back home now. Saw this thread was only 18 pages so not bothering to read it as it's clear as day we won ?

It’s hilarious.. win and we get 20+ pages .. lose and it’s a 40+ ?

what I can quite get is that if we lose, I sulk and can’t be arsed to dissect a negative situation .. but win ? Yeah I could drone on forever and relive the sweet moments forever x2 .. has to be something about our internal make up. Anyway .. night night all, I’m just off to see the highlights ... again.... and the good news is that Martial might not be fit for Thursday. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Teams which don’t roster players tend to be those with older/experienced squads. We have a squad of youthful players, players approaching the end of their careers, and others who can’t handle 3 games in a week. It’s no surprise we have to rotate the squad at this point. 

Sorry but this is a poor explanation for the way Cocu selects his teams... too many random changes.

1 minute ago, DRBee said:

Sorry but this is a poor explanation for the way Cocu selects his teams... too many random changes.

How is it? Younger players are more inconsistent and experience dips in form, so are dropped/rested for a few games. Older players can’t handle so many games in a short space of time so need resting. Injuries, knocks and medical conditions mean other players need to come out of the team for a bit.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I always think you need a leader/driver at AM ... Holmes can do it and so can Mr  Knight Knight Knight. If you are a team with a wining mentality it’s the AM that is the spark .. Mason Mount did it, Lawrence on his day does it, Holmes does it. It’s that front foot player, involved in the events preceding what Martin, Marriott, Waggy and any other scorer does .. you need the catalyst high up the pitch 

Great result today. Hopefully a sign of things to come. 

One thing I would want to add to this team is that player in the final third to knit the play together (further forward than Rooney).

Will Hughes looks like he had a good game at Watford today (from the part of the game I saw). Would love him back here.

57 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Except they aren't random. They're based on him seeing the players every day and judging what's best for the long term future of the ndividual players and the squad. The progress of our youngsters isn't linear, it isn't a case it just chucking them in game after game and seeing how well they swim, then ignoring the results and chucking them in again .

Just because you can't see the logic behind them and are stuck with an attitude that every decision you see that you don't agree with is negative and 'wrong' doesn't make it so.

FFS, I see people giving their 'credit' to Cocu when things go right, because he's made a decision they agree with that's turned out to be 'right', but it never actually extends beyond the outcome at hand, it's just a way of them saving face and appearing to offer a balanced view.

Giving credit to Cocu is TRUSTING that he knows what he's doing, that he knows how we can proceed as a club, it's not praising him for making a decision you agree with and then ignoring that to claim you knew better than him when the result doesn't favour us.

We can't name a settled side because we have so many issues with our senior players and their ability to play week in week out. Our best team is built on the bones of what worked best in 2014, those players are brilliant but they aren't capable of playing like they did back then, in the same manner as we did back then, on a regular basis. It's a fact that's totally ignored every time we do well with Martin & Forsyth in the team. Just play the team that thrashed Stoke 4-0 and we'd win the league! ********.

If Cocu didn't change the team as often as he does we could easily be where Stoke & Boro are now. It's easy to blame him for the results that go against us after changes but nobody is acknowledging that those very same changes might just be the reason we aren't genuinely in a relegation fight!

49 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Except they aren't random. They're based on him seeing the players every day and judging what's best for the long term future of the ndividual players and the squad. The progress of our youngsters isn't linear, it isn't a case it just chucking them in game after game and seeing how well they swim, then ignoring the results and chucking them in again .

Just because you can't see the logic behind them and are stuck with an attitude that every decision you see that you don't agree with is negative and 'wrong' doesn't make it so.

FFS, I see people giving their 'credit' to Cocu when things go right, because he's made a decision they agree with that's turned out to be 'right', but it never actually extends beyond the outcome at hand, it's just a way of them saving face and appearing to offer a balanced view.

Giving credit to Cocu is TRUSTING that he knows what he's doing, that he knows how we can proceed as a club, it's not praising him for making a decision you agree with and then ignoring that to claim you knew better than him when the result doesn't favour us.

We can't name a settled side because we have so many issues with our senior players and their ability to play week in week out. Our best team is built on the bones of what worked best in 2014, those players are brilliant but they aren't capable of playing like they did back then, in the same manner as we did back then, on a regular basis. It's a fact that's totally ignored every time we do well with Martin & Forsyth in the team. Just play the team that thrashed Stoke 4-0 and we'd win the league! ********.

If Cocu didn't change the team as often as he does we could easily be where Stoke & Boro are now. It's easy to blame him for the results that go against us after changes but nobody is acknowledging that those very same changes might just be the reason we aren't genuinely in a relegation fight!

Agree what u say in that the class of 2014 fozzy, Martin et al have to be managed as they arnt the twenty somethings they once were 

I’m purely being devils advocate here in saying is there also a school of thought to say they won’t get any fitter or sharper by missing games sat on the bench or out of the squad?  

rooney is obviously a different ball game in terms of quality but at nearly 35 he seems to be getting fitter and sharper by playing every minute possible 

Not arguing just being thought provoking 

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Glad to hear your girls ok, in the circumstances.

Wouldn't be one of your posts mind if you don't bash the ref!

Thanks for the comment about my girl. She has a huge leg brace on.

And yeah, I knew as soon as I saw who the ref for today was I was going to have to give it my best shot ....... at him.

However, I actually didn't see who the ref was, so I couldn't possibly comment!

Rare, I know, but there you go!

Archived