Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn, Marriott and Trialist is enough for me at CF. You can rely on Waghorn to be available for 40+ games a season. Marriott less so but can be lethal if he stays clear of his injury troubles which is hopefully the case after his surgery. 35 games would be a fair return from him. In those games where one isn't available, that when you'd expect the cheap 3rd choice CF to come in (Trialist). I think the balance is about right with those 3. Trialist is the only iffy one, but we can revisit that situation in the winter window if required.

However, over the past 2 season's we've been reliant on Waghorn filling in on the wing. This would leave too much of a burden on Marriott and Trialist at CF. Even if we sign a winger, we'll still be a bit weak there - Lawrence, *winger*, Whittaker and Knight as the options if Waghorn's required at CF.

I think it'll come down to which players we can get in. CB and RW are critical signings. I would only get a CF if the budget allows us to also get those two critical players. Getting a GK in comes next in line.

Putting faith in Marriott simply isn't justified - he hasn't delivered. If you use injuries as the excuse for this then what is the evidence next season will be any different.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

What I don't get is both parties have realistically had since at least January to do a deal or get a new deal, which would make one think they weren't poles apart, else why keep talking? And since then we've had a Covid-19 'bomb' hit footballs finances. Dunno really who's fooling who, Cocu wants Martin (within reason) and I can't think that Martin really believes he'll get pre-Covid-19 wages. Meh.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

NFFC TrentEnd

#NFFC Fans talking up Chris Martin arrival

Can’t see it. Are they not off on a cost cutting adventure now as well? Finances won’t be helped with empty stadium either 

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Letting CM19 go is a mistake. That’s not based on sentiment because “I like him”. We should have kept him. He’s proven. It goes down in the great big book of Derby County mistakes which comprises, Inter Alia

1. signing Anya and giving him a fat contract

2. Signing Nick Blackman

3. Not selecting Bryson at Wembley v QPR

4. Hiring Nigel Pearson

5. Hiring Phil Brown

6. Hiring Tommy Docherty

7. Accepting Clough & Taylor’s resignation

8. Not checking Esteban Fuertes’s passport

9. . . .  selling Will Hughes for 8 shillings and sixpence

10. Not starting Marriott v Villa @ Wembley

?

Let's be absolutely clear here. Derby County did NOT let Martin go. He turned down the contract on offer.

Feels like I’ve seen the end of Chris Martin’s Derby career too many times to really take this statement seriously, there’s been too many plot twists that it can’t end like this. Too much time has been invested, surely we need one more stand off with Nigel Pearson before he walks off into the sunset?

In all seriousness, I always said this season that I’m just happy to see him in a Derby shirt again. He’s had a very decent swan song in my opinion, it’s just a shame like so many of that era we never have got to give them a send off as fans. But I think we owe him the chance to look if there’s better for him out there.

I nearly wrote this yesterday in the thread with the excellent blog post about the academy in, but I think in recent years we’ve had a tendency to hold onto players for too long and lose their value rather than taking the money and investing. Keogh, Bryson, Russell, Hughes, Martin and more have had very nice fees attached to them at one time or the other and we could have made £25-40mill of them and still be where we are now. I think as a club, we need to learn about when is best to sell. That isn’t easy to work out, when we’ve stagnated it’s hard to let go, and let’s face it poor management would have meant that the money could have been wasted too, but I do feel it’s an important thing we have got wrong. Not just the club itself, but the fans on how we hang on to our favourites that encourage that. We need to begin to understand it’s sometimes best for all involved to move on and now may be one of those times (although if he does end up signing forget I ever wrote this last paragraph).

IF this is it, cheers Chrissy Martin. You were always my favourite, thanks for proving why one last time. A modern day legend. 

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Serious question.... does anyone think CM may end up at the Council Tip. There are rumours that they are interested in taking him ??‍♂️

10 minutes ago, David said:

Can’t see it. Are they not off on a cost cutting adventure now as well? Finances won’t be helped with empty stadium either 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised. But not till Carvalhos 20 million move to Greece is finalised.

21 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Let's be absolutely clear here. Derby County did NOT let Martin go. He turned down the contract on offer.

A bit like “we didn’t sell Will Hughes cheaply, we accepted the offer that was made”. Just neutralise the surplus meaning. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

What is balanced about that statement? Why did Cocu want him to stay then?

Because you have to have a plan B and he is a good footballer. 

The balance comes from the fact that the original post owner has provided a balanced argument both for keeping Martin and retaining him. Balance. Pretty simple.

Also - wait Cocu wanted to keep him and build a team around him them I believe that we would have offered what he wanted. I think had we just released him it would have been a PR own goal given the season he had and the relationship he has with the fans.  Just an opinion.

Sad day for me.

I had a dream on Tuesday that Chris Martin left and was offered contracts by Forest and Coventry. I very nearly posted on here about it but didn't want to seem a doom bringer. Bloody hope that dream wasnt true, at least for the red dogs.

I hope the decision wasnt based on length of contract, if so it's bad business on our part. For what Martin brings, it would take a lot of money to bring anything close to what he could offer.

I dont want to talk about replacements, there genuinely will not a be a replacement for Martin.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Feels like I’ve seen the end of Chris Martin’s Derby career too many times to really take this statement seriously, there’s been too many plot twists that it can’t end like this. Too much time has been invested, surely we need one more stand off with Nigel Pearson before he walks off into the sunset?

In all seriousness, I always said this season that I’m just happy to see him in a Derby shirt again. He’s had a very decent swan song in my opinion, it’s just a shame like so many of that era we never have got to give them a send off as fans. But I think we owe him the chance to look if there’s better for him out there.

I nearly wrote this yesterday in the thread with the excellent blog post about the academy in, but I think in recent years we’ve had a tendency to hold onto players for too long and lose their value rather than taking the money and investing. Keogh, Bryson, Russell, Hughes, Martin and more have had very nice fees attached to them at one time or the other and we could have made £25-40mill of them and still be where we are now. I think as a club, we need to learn about when is best to sell. That isn’t easy to work out, when we’ve stagnated it’s hard to let go, and let’s face it poor management would have meant that the money could have been wasted too, but I do feel it’s an important thing we have got wrong. Not just the club itself, but the fans on how we hang on to our favourites that encourage that. We need to begin to understand it’s sometimes best for all involved to move on and now may be one of those times (although if he does end up signing forget I ever wrote this last paragraph).

IF this is it, cheers Chrissy Martin. You were always my favourite, thanks for proving why one last time. A modern day legend. 

A great post.

We've had the chance to move all the mentioned above on for a decent profit, and failed to do so.

I don't blame the club for that, at the time they all seemed essential, but four years ago we were turning down £8m bids for Martin when the manager at the time clearly had no idea how to use him.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Feels like I’ve seen the end of Chris Martin’s Derby career too many times to really take this statement seriously, there’s been too many plot twists that it can’t end like this...

If only. #fingerscrossed But I fear that there will be teams that couldn't afford the kind of transfer fee & wages you would ask for Chrissy (even if only a £1m or so) that will be able to offer a deal that we wouldn't offer. I mean even 15k/week over 2 years is only about £2-3m or so with signing on fee. He went to Hull (and back) so he'll go most places to play for a decent contract. Gutted if we've seen the last of his fancy football skills never mind the goals. No more clever back heels? I hoped he'd fancy playing with the youngsters and helping them develop... #gutted

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Putting faith in Marriott simply isn't justified - he hasn't delivered. If you use injuries as the excuse for this then what is the evidence next season will be any different.

Sorry but that is barlocks.. when fit he has delivered.. he has been carrying a long term injury that has hampered him from day one. Now, I don’t know if we will play a system that suits him (wrong system was always the excuse when CM wasn’t scoring) but with absolute certainty a fit Marriott is a top championship goal scorer to suggest otherwise is a load of the aforementioned closure  mechanisms for alcohol dispensing establishments. 

Archived