Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, David said:

Stats will say he still did XYZ but he looked to be a passenger in games and found him hugely frustrating as games went on. 

I respect that's your opinion, but if you think Martin was a passenger what did you think of Waghorn or Marriott? Both were worse in terms of productivity and in terms of all around play (in my opinion).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I respect that's your opinion, but if you think Martin was a passenger what did you think of Waghorn or Marriott? Both were worse in terms of productivity and in terms of all around play (in my opinion).

I’d guess what @Davidis saying is that a team is greater than a sum of it’s parts. Martin scores X many goals, but at the detriment to what? The rest of the team perhaps not performing to potential, other players not playing their natural game, or more importantly, a more mobile, quicker, agile player being able to score more than that in the same amount of time with the same opportunities whilst improving the all round team. 

But hey, criticising the almighty Martin on here is really sticking your head above the parapet. 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Marriott given his game time doesn’t really enter the discussion. Waghorn on the other hand I don’t think you can question his work rate even if his finishing leaves a lot to be desired 

1 minute ago, David said:

Marriott given his game time doesn’t really enter the discussion. Waghorn on the other hand I don’t think you can question his work rate even if his finishing leaves a lot to be desired 

I don't question his work rate - but his effectiveness. A lot of the time he has to work harder because he's had a bad touch, or he's in the wrong position. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d guess what @Davidis saying is that a team is greater than a sum of it’s parts. Martin scores X many goals, but at the detriment to what? The rest of the team perhaps not performing to potential, other players not playing their natural game, or more importantly, a more mobile, quicker, agile player being able to score more than that in the same amount of time with the same opportunities whilst improving the all round team. 

But hey, criticising the almighty Martin on here is really sticking your head above the parapet. 

Behave, you're not some martyr for criticising Chris Martin on dcfcfans because Kash is going to give you a gif or RoyMac5 has given you a laughing emoji ??.

I accept the point - the team is greater than the sum of it's parts, but I don't see an easy solution in our current situation. We don't have a huge amount of money, the strikers we have currently clearly don't fill the striking position as well as Martin does, so where does it leave us? I honestly think playing Martin helps some of our attacking mids more than playing a striker like Marriott would, but that's a debatable point I suppose. 

I'd love to know who this mobile, agile, clinical striker who'll improve our all around play is though! Sounds like we should use them! 

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

You’ve not had as many beers as me so can word it better than me, thanks!

Honestly though, I could cover the same amount of ground as Martin for 5k a week, not gonna lie I’m nowhere near as intelligent and I haven’t flicked anything other than a bogey since I was 12....I could be the new Tito Villa

why are so many opposed to change? I'd be dissapointed if Chris was our main striker for next season and agree with David as i found him very frustrating but he has been good for us but time for change maybe good for all parties...but then it turns into a Waghorn and Marriott debate....we are talking about Chris Martin....I don't think Waghorn or Marriott will be our main striker next season either and both can play off of a striker and have pace

There is a lot of sentiment regarding CM and that is understandable but his best years are definitely behind him imo

3 hours ago, europia said:

Always a possibility for a player settled in the area to sign for a local rival, especially with both clubs playing in the same league. Next season starting to look rather underwhelming already.... 

Yep! 

15 minutes ago, David said:

Honestly though, I could cover the same amount of ground as Martin for 5k a week, not gonna lie I’m nowhere near as intelligent and I haven’t flicked anything other than a bogey since I was 12....I could be the new Tito Villa

Sorry with the slight digress, but brought up unpleasant memories but looking at this i feel a bit better.

IN 07/08 the mighty tito was almost top scorer with 3 in 17, just one behind Miller in league goals . You know I always have the 6-0 against Villa etc in my head from that season, thanks to the media most likely, ever watch one of these premier league programmes it appears that way, but we actually had periods in that season where we were probably a decent striker away from making things a lot more respectable - this little run of  matches  for example nothing in them really except Chelsea and Spurs. After March we really went to pieces of course.  

15 December 2007Middlesbrough 0–1

23 December 2007Newcastle United 2–2Barnes 

26 December 2007LiverpoolH 1–2

30 December 2007Blackburn RoversH 1–2

2 January 2008Bolton Wanderers A 0–1

12 January 2008Wigan AthleticH0–1

19 January 2008PortsmouthA1–3

30 January 2008Manchester CityH1–1

2 February 2008Birmingham CityA1–1

9 February 2008Tottenham HotspurH0–3

23 February 2008Wigan AthleticA0–2

1 March 2008SunderlandH0–0

12 March 2008ChelseaA1–6

15 March 2008Manchester UnitedH0–1

22 March 2008MiddlesbroughA0–1

29 March 2008FulhamH2–2

6 April 2008EvertonA0–1

52 minutes ago, David said:

But unlike Martin you wouldn't be moving to the places which free up space for others.

I am pleased Chris is looking after his own interests, he owes us nothing. Of course we don't know what offer he had from the club.

Comments such as we could manage with Marriott, Waghorn and academy player are deluded. We haven't scored enough goals this season with Chris Martin available.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Not at all opposed to change. If we can get better, fair enough I can get behind that. I just fear that we're not going to get better.

fair enough but i'm quite excited hoping we may get one or two strikers in who could make a big difference I'm always optimistic and I'm hoping Cocu has some names rather than our scouting network....anyone that scouted Camara should no longer be in a job at DCFC imo 

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I think we know where ninos and toddy disappeared to....

Low blow. Enjoy getting your Martin 9 shirt printed next year thinking we’re still in 2014. I’m sure that will put a smile on his face whilst the rest of us try and look to the future of this football club and not walking on eggshells fearing of upsetting others with our opinions of one player that has chose not to extend his contract at the club.

Archived