Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, IslandExile said:

I cannot believe that he and his agent won't already have a good idea of the alternative offers he will have on the table.

Possibly but like @Carnero says, they could just be testing the water at this stage. Personally I'd be surprised if clubs were queuing to throw money at a near 32 year old striker with a noted medical condition but its all guesswork.

If he is just keeping his options open, its a dangerous move if we decide to move on (as surely we must be doing now). If Cocu can find a mobile CF with touch & intelligence, we won't be looking back.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Possibly but like @Carnero says, they could just be testing the water at this stage. Personally I'd be surprised if clubs were queuing to throw money at a near 32 year old striker with a noted medical condition but its all guesswork.

If he is just keeping his options open, its a dangerous move if we decide to move on (as surely we must be doing now). If Cocu can find a mobile CF with touch & intelligence, we won't be looking back.

With a contract expiring at the end of the season, isn't a player free to start negotiating with other clubs around Christmas/January? - See Te Wieirk as an example.

As for us finding a replacement....I fear that's going to be very difficult. Any points deduction won't help but I dread to think about our financial position.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

With a contract expiring at the end of the season, isn't a player free to start negotiating with other clubs around Christmas/January? - See Te Wieirk as an example.

As for us finding a replacement....I fear that's going to be very difficult. Any points deduction won't help but I dread to think about our financial position.

Don’t worry there will be a cunning plan to sell the Ramtique to M.Morris esq, for a cut price £50m as a thriving business concern.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

As for us finding a replacement....I fear that's going to be very difficult. Any points deduction won't help but I dread to think about our financial position.

I believe so, yeah but obviously budgets for most clubs (at the level Martin could realistically play at) would have been slashed since then. If he'd already signed for another club before all this struck, there wouldnt have been contract negotiations with us/offers by us at all.

I'm hopeful Cocu's contacts in Holland/Spain/Turkey turn up a value replacement!

31 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We still have The Fozzmeister ?

I suppose many won't agree, but I actually thought of him as the weakest player in that 13/14 team .  Not a bad player, but against the better wide players he always looked on the point of panic defence wise and would get caught out of position going forward.  Not particularly his fault as he's a midfielder by trade who's taken up the role . The fact he's the one still here out of all those in that team is a bit weird really. 

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I see Butterfield has been released by Luton what a generation he lead.

Martin last season was as good as ever. Frightening when you look at the money we've wasted.

Edit: the grass isn't always greener...

I was more talking about a Bogle, Lowe, Knight, Sibley and Bird.

Butterfield is a frustrating one, he was a top player at Barnsley, even Huddersfield fans didn’t want to see him leave. We had to replace Bryson and Hughes and it looked so right but just didn’t work out and for whatever reason he’s on a huge decline where now he’s likely to end up in League 1. 

I do disagree that Martin was as good as ever last season, Martin was at his peak in 13/14 and again, the Pearson thing, illness took his toll. 

Stats will say he still did XYZ but he looked to be a passenger in games and found him hugely frustrating as games went on. 

I honestly think this is the perfect time to say thanks and bye, I don’t want to see him play some bit part role coming on here and there seeing out a 2 year deal. 

Where Bryson left maybe a couple of seasons too late, this might be the perfect time with Martin. Time will tell.

Lets not forget Richards case against the club isn't settled to my knowledge . It may have been kept in house.  With the current loss of income I have no doubt the thought of having to stick a couple of million quid in his piggy bank is going to hamper any contract negotiations /transfers.

46 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We still have The Fozzmeister ?

We do and it’s incredible really given his injuries, he’s one of those guys where he doesn’t fit the footballer stereotype, just looks like a nice family guy that’s worked hard and still hanging in there. 

It’s not even sentimental giving him a new contract, Lowe is still learning and he’s that steady professional a bit like Baird was that will do a job for us. This is probably his last contract though and one of those players I will be sad to see leave 

Thanks Chris for some great goals and performances in a Rams shirt but i truly beleive is best for all concerned.

I'm pretty sure Chris wasn't going to be a starter next season and in some ways I'm pleased if that is what Cocu has told him because we need more mobility in a few areas and centre forward is one of them .

Also and i will get caned for this and there will be reasons given like he didn't get the service,the correct passes etc etc but looking at CM on the pitch he looks far from happy and he deserves to be content wherever he is playing.

He seemed quite moody on the pitch at times this season throwing his arms up,looking up at the sky and looking at players in disgust when a through ball was not accurate enough and sometimes in my opinion it was maybe frustration at himself because he didn't make a run or the defender got there first but his demeanour seemed negative especially towards the youngsters at times and that is a shame but he has served this club very well and i wish him well and thank him for some great memories.I think he was the best Centre Forward in the championship the season we got to wembley and his performance against Brighton in both semi final legs was fantastic

If we can get a very mobile strong centre forward it will open up a lot for us going forward and hopefully Cocu has someone lined up ( i don't beleive you have to break the bank for this to happen but i'm hopeful it is more Cocu's choice than our scouts )

All the negativity is hilarious almost like last season never happened and he is still out on loan. I expect @toddy to pop by soon and tell us how crap he is. Thank goodness for £6m Waghorn and £3m Marriott. They never look dismayed when they don't get a pass through to them.  ?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All the negativity is hilarious almost like last season never happened and he is still out on loan. I expect @toddy to pop by soon and tell us how crap he is. Thank goodness for £6m Waghorn and £3m Marriott. They never look dismayed when they don't get a pass through to them.  ?

No they rarely do thats what I'm saying but martin doesnt look happy or do you think he does?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would you seriously tell Chris Martin he is a starter next season ? he would only be a sub to come on and change things if it wasn't working Roy he should go where he'll be a starter ...good luck to him 

8 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Would you seriously tell Chris Martin he is a starter next season ? he would only be a sub to come on and change things if it wasn't working Roy he should go where he'll be a starter ...good luck to him 

At this moment, with our strikeforce as it stands, he’s a good a starter as any in the style/formation we had last year. It would depend if we get anyone in.

Chris Martin is the best centre forward we’ve had in 20 years, he was at his peak between 2013 and 2016 when I think other than McCormack he scored more goals than anyone else in that 3 year period. 

He’s also been one of our best players this season. The stats don’t lie especially given his lack of minutes on the pitch to other players. He is still a very good player at this level.

He would have been important to the squad next season and it’s clear we wanted to keep him. However this deal always had to be on the right terms and clearly Martin thinks he’s worth more. Fair play with him seeing what’s out there and trying to get a better deal. However, this is a strange time the dynamic has changed and if he gets a deal better than what we’ve offered then fair play - I highly doubt he will though.

We move on and we try to recruit but we really need Marriott to come good next season 

I am sorry to see Martin go. He isn't as efficient as he was but he has an excellent football brain and knows what he's doing. I do think with his medical issues the club were likely to go down the one year road .  Darren Fletchers a prime example- consistent and playing weekly one season then not seen for 18 months and he had the same condition.  We just don't have the cash if reports are to be believed to chance a long term deal when we may need to bring in someone else.

That said to sign a player who scores 12-15 a season and creates 10 isn't cheap, so a Rasiak inspired replacement is needed, if we can get Marriott up and running we have a great goal poacher I'm sure but we need another type of forward as an option as well.  You need a front three and midfield to get 65-75 goals to be at the top end of this league and 50 to stay in it.  After today we're a bit nearer the 50

49 minutes ago, David said:

Stats will say he still did XYZ but he looked to be a passenger in games and found him hugely frustrating as games went on. 

I respect that's your opinion, but if you think Martin was a passenger what did you think of Waghorn or Marriott? Both were worse in terms of productivity and in terms of all around play (in my opinion).

Archived