Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

Definitely more mobile than Chris... 

Sorry. You knew you were inviting this .. 

I wasn’t....ever tried to move a wardrobe? Bird table is definitely easier to move so you might be on to something there ?

7 hours ago, David said:

Low blow. Enjoy getting your Martin 9 shirt printed next year thinking we’re still in 2014. I’m sure that will put a smile on his face whilst the rest of us try and look to the future of this football club and not walking on eggshells fearing of upsetting others with our opinions of one player that has chose not to extend his contract at the club.

Never saw you as the sensitive sort David but thanks for the reminder in any case,I’ll pop into my delorean whenever necessary during these sad times.

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Never saw you as the sensitive sort David but thanks for the reminder in any case,I’ll pop into my delorean whenever necessary during these sad times.

Wasn’t aware I was being sensitive? ?

I understand that financial belt tightening was long overdue, But footballing wise it doesn’t make much sense without the emergence of someone better. CM was having a good season. He seems to suit Derby county and vice versa. 
you could see how upset he was in those last few games when he knew he was going to be leaving.

Just now, RamNut said:

I understand that financial belt tightening was long overdue, But footballing wise it doesn’t make much sense without the emergence of someone better. CM was having a good season. He seems to suit Derby county and vice versa. 
you could see how upset he was in those last few games when he knew he was going to be leaving.

I would imagine he's financially secure so if he was so upset to be leaving Derby them why didn't he take the offer on the table .  Maybe leaving Derby is a decision that he realised he would not regret.    I loved watching his clever football play but won't miss his sulking mardy face when things didn't go his way 

2 minutes ago, Ratpackram said:

I would imagine he's financially secure so if he was so upset to be leaving Derby them why didn't he take the offer on the table .  Maybe leaving Derby is a decision that he realised he would not regret.    I loved watching his clever football play but won't miss his sulking mardy face when things didn't go his way 

Maybe you’ll end up watching mason Bennett then.

No one here knows what Chris Martin was requesting and likewise what the club offered. It’s likely he’s one of the highest earners and with the fixtures coming thick and fast next season Martin is highly unlikely to be able to start every game.

We’ve offered what our experts have determined is a good offer, Chris has turned this down - it could be his demands are world’s apart and I’m certainly not in favour of breaking the bank for someone at the end of his career who is likely to be a bit part player.

40 minutes ago, Taribo said:

and with the fixtures coming thick and fast next season Martin is highly unlikely to be able to start every game.

Like he did post lockdown? His fitness seems okay to me, bit better than Marriotts. ?

I doubt we're breaking the bank wages wise for anyone, I imagine the majority of this seasons spare cash will go on a centre half and hopefully a right winger.

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

No one here knows what Chris Martin was requesting and likewise what the club offered. It’s likely he’s one of the highest earners and with the fixtures coming thick and fast next season Martin is highly unlikely to be able to start every game.

We’ve offered what our experts have determined is a good offer, Chris has turned this down - it could be his demands are world’s apart and I’m certainly not in favour of breaking the bank for someone at the end of his career who is likely to be a bit part player.

Who knows, the club may have explained they couldn't offer the deal he wanted until they knew the result of the tribunal. 

That could also be why the door has been left open. 

1 hour ago, Ratpackram said:

Maybe he thinks he can get better money elsewhere. Maybe his agent has been filling his head with nonsense. Maybe he thinks that the offer was that derisory that it was a personal affront. Maybe he didn't want to be a bit part player and Cocu couldnt guarantee him first team playing time. 

I could venture a whole host of other postulates which may or may not be true. Think it's unfair though to grab onto the first reason that comes to your mind to further your own agenda when really only the people in the room know exactly the reason why 

22 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

We can’t afford to wait until (and it’s a big IF), Martin comes back to us late in the transfer window, or even after the window shuts, saying “I’m still a free agent can I please come back?”

That really won't happen,he is too good a player not to be given a contract elsewhere,if he didn't want to accept a new contract on new terms why on earth would he accept one later,he will be at a new club before we have signed a new striker and no i am not a CM fan but i recognise what he has done for the club

21 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

So that's now 4 positions (GK, LCB, RW, ST) that we need filling next season if we want to be competitive.

Thanks for the memories and best of luck in your next move Chris. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Clubs will be looking to reduce wage bills across the board after the pandemic, so if we've made a fair offer (as I think we would have done), I'll be surprised if he gets a better offer somewhere else in this league.

But other clubs may have a longer view on things, some club may offer him a Three year contract on reduced terms (the new terms we offered) and also help him getting his coaching badges for the next stage of his career. I would imagine he would have no problems accepting as it gives him security, at this stage of his career it won't all be about money.

Just now, gccrowdpleaser said:

Just a thought...is there any way that as the previous pkay amortisation policy is under question that we could be in a better financial position by releasing and then resigning?

I did postulate that he wanted a signing on fee for a new contract post 31st July, I don't think that's likely either, but... 

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course we have our usual plan, but that will potentially be derailed by our potential to get players in - see how Dowell is being lauded and has signed for Norwich, Cocu must be pants not to get great things from him!

PS Martin is no slower now than he's ever been, he is playing as well as ever. 

Remember the Blackburn MoM game? That didn't have to be a one-off but when has the team come together like that since lock down?

We do? What is it, cos darned if I've seen any evidence of any thinking beyond 6 months into the future with our transfer dealings.

We seem to stockpile players in positions where we have good youth coming through, then loan in positions where we don't so the same gaps pop up next season. 

No doubt some of that has been fuelled by manager turnover but now we are forced to take stock.

Logic suggests that if martin was part of Cocus master plan, it was for the relatively short term, given age and illness etc. Therefore we should, unless we're now on a different plan, be looking for a loan or short term contract.

Archived