Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Look it at this way. Martin isnt a dcfc player. Old, cant run,  chrons disease, never been prolific. Derby sign it. Would ya be happy? Nah. Hes done. On wards and upwards not keeping the fat.

Oh I know you shouldn't feed the troll, but never been prolific? Get yourself to Barnard Castle mate.

2 hours ago, David said:

Low blow. Enjoy getting your Martin 9 shirt printed next year thinking we’re still in 2014. I’m sure that will put a smile on his face whilst the rest of us try and look to the future of this football club and not walking on eggshells fearing of upsetting others with our opinions of one player that has chose not to extend his contract at the club.

You ITK at all? I'm surprised how 'critical' of his all-round play you appear, has any word about the negotiations seeped out of the club? 

I must admit the much quoted stats showing how prolific he has been this season are preventing me from being as openly critical as I would otherwise. He has looked a pale shadow of himself for much of the season and I was never his biggest fan. He is pretty static, his ability to win you the ball is negligible and his body language has always grated on me. But he occasionally looks very classy and is capable of real moments of quality whilst his goal record speaks for itself. This season I really have found him incredibly frustrating to watch and I have to admit that with my own eyes I would have rated him poorly yet the stats have him up at the top of the league, so difficult to argue with that. 

I think overall Chris Martin has done ok for Derby but this is the right time for him to move on.

Jack Marriott is a very good goal scorer.

If Jack has is head right he’s fit free from injury the system is right then jack could score 20+ goals but it’s a big IF

For me I think how this is panning out is about right , I would have concerns if cocu didn’t see a decent player worthy of a contract offer and by the same token I would worry if he saw him as vital to Derby and a keep at all costs option , Derby have worked out what’s right for them to offer and Martin thinks he’s worth more than the offer , I don’t buy all this he loves DCFC stuff , he’s a pro footballer who has and will continue to do what’s best for him and his family and rightly so , he’s had a good career at Derby whilst Derby have had the best from him ,he owes the club nothing whilst the club owes him nothing.

if he moves on fine and we wish him well, he decides to come back and take the offer after looking round ( if we haven’t moved on player wise) then all good 

Chris Martin? had some real good seasons at Derby and will be right up there as a player the majority of Derby fans really enjoyed watching and if this is the point and way he moves on it leaves no sour taste after all the silliness of the loan and tug of war shinanigan s

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not at all opposed to change. If we can get better, fair enough I can get behind that. I just fear that we're not going to get better.

That is the point @Andicis. I just love all these posters who blithely say “time to move on and buy a replacement, we need a pacey, 20 goal striker . . . blah blah blah...atom bomb”.  Because there is a queue of Clubs who will sell such players for peanuts and these players will only want a mediocre salary so yes, cheers Chris, see yeah! 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

You ITK at all? I'm surprised how 'critical' of his all-round play you appear, has any word about the negotiations seeped out of the club? 

I must admit the much quoted stats showing how prolific he has been this season are preventing me from being as openly critical as I would otherwise. He has looked a pale shadow of himself for much of the season and I was never his biggest fan. He is pretty static, his ability to win you the ball is negligible and his body language has always grated on me. But he occasionally looks very classy and is capable of real moments of quality whilst his goal record speaks for itself. This season I really have found him incredibly frustrating to watch and I have to admit that with my own eyes I would have rated him poorly yet the stats have him up at the top of the league, so difficult to argue with that. 

Yes. Surprising that our perceptual filters can colour our judgement but luckily we have key statistics that point to a different conclusion. 

How come Martin is getting slagged off?

He has been great for us. 7 years, scores 1 in 3 and his link up play has been essential. He's been part of club records. An absolute positive influence on the club

Is it that hard to be nice about this good servant? Thought I'd accidently stumbled onto twitter 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I don’t know anything other than what you would have read. 

As for being critical, I don’t feel like I’ve been overly critical or even unfair on the bloke. Many have echoed similar thoughts that the timing is right for him to leave.

To say that in this thread you get thrown into this “anti Martin group” which isn’t the case at all. 

13/14 was second only to the football we saw under Jim Smith, I have a lot of fond memories that will stay with me for a long time, Martin and Bryson were at their peaks, it was impossible not to love them as players.

But that was then, this is now. At some point you have to say goodbye, this is a good time.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

How come Martin is getting slagged off?

He has been great for us. 7 years, scores 1 in 3 and his link up play has been essential. He's been part of club records. An absolute positive influence on the club

Is it that hard to be nice about this good servant? Thought I'd accidently stumbled onto twitter 

Because we are talking about signing Martin for next season. His qualities 3 or 4 years ago shouldn’t come into that, no?

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That is the point @Andicis. I just love all these posters who blithely say “time to move on and buy a replacement, we need a pacey, 20 goal striker . . . blah blah blah...atom bomb”.  Because there is a queue of Clubs who will sell such players for peanuts and these players will only want a mediocre salary so yes, cheers Chris, see yeah! 

Ollie Watkins, under £2m, 25 goals.

Try and buy him now you’re looking at well into double figures which clearly we can’t afford. 

When people talk about finding replacements, I don’t think they are thinking we go out and buy a proven 20 goal a season striker, but we look to find a Watkins.

Some will say our past recruitment doesn’t fill us with much confidence, but let’s not forget we was in for Watkins at the time, however we were quoted a much larger fee than other clubs because we were seen to have money. 

I personally wouldn’t be surprised if most of our signings are foreign imports this summer, players that many of us will have never heard of and salivating over YouTube clips. 

Plenty of people have been hugely made fun of, really had the mick taken out of them for differing opinions throughout this forum, often with several posters at once and they've took it with good grace. 

Now all of a sudden there's apparently a We Love Martin group who are so horrible to these poor posters who are just giving their opinion. Difference of opinion. Bore off. 

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Behave, you're not some martyr for criticising Chris Martin on dcfcfans because Kash is going to give you a gif or RoyMac5 has given you a laughing emoji ??.

I accept the point - the team is greater than the sum of it's parts, but I don't see an easy solution in our current situation. We don't have a huge amount of money, the strikers we have currently clearly don't fill the striking position as well as Martin does, so where does it leave us? I honestly think playing Martin helps some of our attacking mids more than playing a striker like Marriott would, but that's a debatable point I suppose. 

I'd love to know who this mobile, agile, clinical striker who'll improve our all around play is though! Sounds like we should use them! 

Bonne? I think he was the 4th most clinical striker in the league this season. It’s fairly obvious he’s a bit more mobile than Martin too. 

Sad to see him go but from his point of view its a last chance to get a reasonable signing on fee and im sure he is looking at length of contract for a modicum of security whilst he plans his life after football.With us im pretty sure he would only get one year-Im still a bit angry when i think back how he was loaned out and lost a chunk of his carrer but all the best to him.

We would have still needed a plan, had Chris Martin stayed. He's slowing, so we would have to be replacing in a couple of years.

So whats the longer term plan...try to grow our own, discover a rough diamond and start polishing? 

Once you are clear on the plan, then we'll know what - if anything - we need to add short term.

We seem to lack strategic thinking.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We would have still needed a plan, had Chris Martin stayed. He's slowing, so we would have to be replacing in a couple of years.

We seem to lack strategic thinking.

Of course we have our usual plan, but that will potentially be derailed by our potential to get players in - see how Dowell is being lauded and has signed for Norwich, Cocu must be pants not to get great things from him!

PS Martin is no slower now than he's ever been, he is playing as well as ever. 

Remember the Blackburn MoM game? That didn't have to be a one-off but when has the team come together like that since lock down?

42 minutes ago, David said:

Ollie Watkins, under £2m, 25 goals.

Try and buy him now you’re looking at well into double figures which clearly we can’t afford. 

When people talk about finding replacements, I don’t think they are thinking we go out and buy a proven 20 goal a season striker, but we look to find a Watkins.

Some will say our past recruitment doesn’t fill us with much confidence, but let’s not forget we was in for Watkins at the time, however we were quoted a much larger fee than other clubs because we were seen to have money. 

I personally wouldn’t be surprised if most of our signings are foreign imports this summer, players that many of us will have never heard of and salivating over YouTube clips. 

Precisely @David thank you.

Nick Blackman £3 million, Martin Waghorn £5 million, Jack Marriott £3.5 million. 

None of the above have given value for money so the likelihood of getting a low-cost replacement for CM19 is slim.  

Archived