v Luton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Well that wasn't very good in the end.

Brilliant header from Martin. Real desire to get on the end of a cross and score a goal. And good link up play away from that. For me Chrissy has to start as our focal point up front. If that's one good thing that comes out of this game then that's good.

But what terrible defending. Over and over and over again. Ending with Bogle scuffing the clearance into his net. He tried to whack the ball away and miskicked it when he could have simply kept the ball out. Weird by Hamer to pick up the ball for the backpass. There was absolutely no need. Lowe lost his head. Very disappointed in him after he'd played well.

Lowe and Knight were much better in the second half but then replaced while Lawrence and Waghorn somehow stayed on the pitch. I think taking those two energetic midfielders off while leaving two ineffective forwards on was a major reason why Luton could just walk through our team towards the end. Wrong decision. Wrong balance.

I keep thinking these sorts of games must show Cocu that the approach and selection is wrong, but he doesn't seem to learn. To play how he wants he either needs to strengthen in the window or to be more attacking in our play, as for us offence is the best form of defence. We can't defend for toffee. Definitely not set pieces. What a miserable night.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Chellaston Ram said:

What’s happened to the Derby Way

It never existed. It was an off the cuff remark that far too many people picked up on. It's cringey rubbish that is usually the hallmark of a club like West Ham who think they invented some revered way of running a club and playing football.

Total nonsense.

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I agree but you can blame him for picking up a back pass. It was clearly a back pass but why risk it in any case? He wasn't under that much pressure and could have cleared it without picking it up.

I agree. If Lowe hadn't lost his rag the incident would have just ended in a booking for Homer so, no real damage done. I guess he didn't anticipate Lowe's lack of discipline. 

Really disappointing tonight. Luton battled well but we gifted them the three points. Highlight for me was Martin's goal from a great cross by Bogle.

I've said it before but I still  don't get why we insist on pulling everyone back when we're defending corners. I mean it's not like we look really solid defensively doing it! For the second goal it looked like our players left it to each other with no one taking control. I'd really like to see us leave at least one player up so our opponents have something to think about defensively.

Just now, Brummie Steve said:

Am I in a minority or does anyone else think that a 21 point deduction would leave us in the bottom three after 46 games?

It probably would. But so would a 50 point deduction and that's just as unlikely, imo.

Just now, Brummie Steve said:

Am I in a minority or does anyone else think that a 21 point deduction would leave us in the bottom three after 46 games?

You are probably very much in a minority if you think we will get a 21 point deduction. That was Daily Mail nonsense trying to overplay the situation as much as possible.

18 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Last 5 or so managers had the likes of Hughes, Thorne, Bryson, Hendrick, Vydra, Ince, Bent, Wilson, and Mount at various times to create or score for them. Who in this current squad is anywhere near the ability of those?

It was called a summer transfer window 

he had opportunity to bring something in ??

im not expecting miracles and anything of the Calibre of the player u mention 

but the simple fact is the two loans he made were so bad they’ve been sent back .... although ironically pattison seems to be doing alright again... which begs the question why one manager can get so much more out of a player cocu got so little out of 

the one permanent signing he made was let’s say hit and miss til his injury which is one of the few things we can’t hold cocu accountable for 

I’m sorry but in my opinion as much as I want the guy to succeed I don’t think he has a clue About what it takes in this division. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

The last 5 or so managers didn't have such a poor squad.

We have one of the best squads in the league. Don't do the obvious thing and think we have such a poor squad because they aren't doing well. I'm not about to give a long list of players, their stats in previous seasons, experience in this league, the fees paid, accolades and more as justification. 

It's easy to say no Tomori, Mount or Wilson. But they were all gambles. It's not as if our manager has been prevented from signing anyone. 

Archived