v Luton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

Tuesday 28th January.....KO 1945.....Kenilworth Road

Championship

Well we're not exactly rampant but we remain unbeaten since 21st December 2019. Not sure how but I'm certain we'll accept it. Tonight's riveting 0-0 at Northampton makes it seven matches in league and cup without that sinking feeling. Next up it's Luton Town.....

Recent form: 

Derby: unbeaten in seven including, remarkably, four away. Only reasonable perhaps to remind ourselves that of the four away matches only the performance at Palace was of a decent standard. The Rams are harder to beat at least than in earlier road trips.

Luton: abysmal tbf. No wins in seven league matches (one draw and six losses) and defeated in each of the last four Championship games, most recently 1-3 at Forest. The last time our hosts tasted victory was a 2-1 home win against Wigan in early December. 

The last time the Hatters kept a clean sheet was mid-October and their recent run of goals conceded in matches reads (most recent first)

3-2-4-3-3-3-1-2-3-1-7-1-2-3-2

I think it's fair to say our goalscoring impotence will be tested on Tuesday night. 

Positions: 24th v 16th 

Luton overall league record: W6 D3 L19  F34 A61 

Luton Home: W4 D3 L6  F20 A22

Derby Away:  W1 D5 L7  F10 A25

Current top scorers for LTFC are Collins (9) and Cornick (7). Common denominators include Steve Howard, Mick Harford, Mark Pembridge and Jacob Butterfield who I'm sure will be grateful for the love of the travelling Rams fans.

Luton squad: Reputedly of interest to us in the summer, Croatian keeper Simon Sluga will be keen to make up for his howler at PP in our 2-0 win. Other players of note include Elliott Lee (son of one-time Ram, Robert), the tricky Callum McManaman and the other Shinniesta, Graeme's older bruv Andrew.

Rams Predicted Starting XI:

I've not been close with my line up predictions but I'll persevere. This weeks effort is:

Hamer / Bogle / Wisdom / Clarke / Lowe / Bird / Rooney / Knight / Holmes / Lawrence / Waghorn

(Roos / Davies / Huddlestone / Shinnie / Whittaker / Martin / Marriott)

Can the Rams make it an unbeaten January 2020?

Go.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Tuesday 28th January.....KO 1945.....Kenilworth Road

Championship

Well we're not exactly rampant but we remain unbeaten since 21st December 2019. Not sure how but I'm certain we'll accept it. Tonight's riveting 0-0 at Northampton makes it seven matches in league and cup without that sinking feeling. Next up it's Luton Town.....

Recent form: 

Derby: unbeaten in seven including, remarkably, four away. Only reasonable perhaps to remind ourselves that of the four away matches only the performance at Palace was of a decent standard. The Rams are harder to beat at least than in earlier road trips.

Luton: abysmal tbf. No wins in seven league matches (one draw and six losses) and defeated in each of the last four Championship games, most recently 1-3 at Forest. The last time our hosts tasted victory was a 2-1 home win against Wigan in early December. 

The last time the Hatters kept a clean sheet was mid-October and their recent run of goals conceded in matches reads (most recent first)

3-2-4-3-3-3-1-2-3-1-7-1-2-3-2

I think it's fair to say our goalscoring impotence will be tested on Tuesday night. 

Positions: 24th v 16th 

Luton overall league record: W6 D3 L19  F34 A61 

Luton Home: W4 D3 L6  F20 A22

Derby Away:  W1 D5 L7  F10 A25

Current top scorers for LTFC are Collins (9) and Cornick (7). Common denominators include Steve Howard, Mick Harford, Mark Pembridge and Jacob Butterfield who I'm sure will be grateful for the love of the travelling Rams fans.

Luton squad: Reputedly of interest to us in the summer, Croatian keeper Simon Sluga will be keen to make up for his howler at PP in our 2-0 win. Other players of note include Elliott Lee (son of one-time Ram, Robert), the tricky Callum McManaman and the other Shinniesta, Graeme's older bruv Andrew.

Rams Predicted Starting XI:

I've not been close with my line up predictions but I'll persevere. This weeks effort is:

Hamer / Bogle / Wisdom / Clarke / Lowe / Bird / Rooney / Knight / Holmes / Lawrence / Waghorn

(Roos / Davies / Huddlestone / Shinnie / Whittaker / Martin / Marriott)

Can the Rams make it an unbeaten January 2020?

Go.

I think Cocu will play Tom Huddlestone instead of Bird, harsh but Cocu likes how Tom keeps the ball, for me Bird is the man, but I like Cocu, so I will back Cocu, and I hope we get the win, 1-0, Rooney has to score soon. 

Really important game this for me, given our away form this season. Luton are a rank rank awful side, we really should be able to beat these without too much problem, even away from home. If we can’t then there really is a drastic issue with how we’re playing away from home. We simply have to take this opportunity to turn our away form around and gain a little bit of confidence. We need to stop being so scared, and play the game we play at home, away from home. This means we need to not start lumping it like last night, but continue with the patient possession style playing out the back, as well as backing it up with energy and desire up front to press, which we haven’t seen enough of this season away from home. Izzy Brown seems to be their main threat, so we need to make sure our fullbacks are well on their game (play Lowe and Bogle basically), and as usual we don’t want to let too many crosses in the box, particulary with Wisdom at centre back.

Team for me should be unchanged from the Hull win, that setup seemed to work nicely so let’s try and keep it going.

17 minutes ago, Robram said:

No red button for this .

sky are showing   Leeds v Millwall   and Cardiff v west Brom   on red button from the same night

Owen Bradley was saying on the RamsTV feedback thread that it might be available on red button and RamsTV, but it is up to Luton whether they allow it to happen or not. RamsTV can only show it outside the UK at the moment.

11 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don’t think there was any need to mention Mark pembridge. 

Whats wrong with mark pembridge? Always thought he was alright for us.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos
Bogle  Wisdom  Clarke  Lowe
Holmes  Huddlestone
Knight  Rooney  Lawrence
Waghorn

Waghorn up front on his own, oh my good god ?

Great detail in the set up @Rampant thread was that quiet I didn’t know it had been started till now.

Two midweek games which if and it’s a big IF we take six points we’ll really be sniffing Play Offs. Don’t laugh it’s true. 
Luton have been poor but that’s not to say they won’t start playing decent football and get results as they obviously want to retain their Championship status. 
SSA! 

Hamer
Bogle Wisdom Clarke Lowe
                    Bird
        Holmes       Rooney
                  Knight
        Waghorn   Marriott

Marriott hasn't been great recently, but I'm not ready to give up on him. I want to see him get a run of games...if that's possible. He's such a good finisher when he's on his game.

Hamer

bogle Wisdom Clarke lowe 

Huddlestone    

Holmes      Knight    

Rooney    

Waghorn Lawrence 

thats what I think it will be but it’s not my choice particularly 

Archived