Preston (H) - Match Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second half didn’t quite reach the heights of the first, but we still fought hard across the full 90 to get the result our play deserved, so a job well done in that respect. To get a win against a high flying team like Preston, especially in the manner we got it today, has to mean today’s performance goes down as the best of the season so far imo. Not because there were spectacular 9/10 performances out there, but because everyone did their job, fought well, and linked up excellently as a team, which looked like they knew each other - and as a result, there were consistently decent performances across the whole team. That’s how you get a result like we got today. There was some fantastic football on show as well, particularly first half, which was a pleasure to watch. And really, we were in control of the game from start to finish which is brilliant against tough opposition, and shows were not too far off. Only shame is that once again we couldn’t make the scoreline reflect our dominance. 

Anyway, ratings for me:

Roos 7- Couple of real dodgy moments, but was excellent distributing the ball today.

Bogle 7- Quality in the final third let him down, but a threat as always

Davies 8- Man mountain and solid as a rock again. Made better choices on the ball too, got an... interesting assist too!

Forsyth 7- Shaky to start with, but grew as the game went on and finished strongly

Lowe 7- Absolutely brilliant first half, went a bit sloppy second, but was properly up for it today

Shinnie 6- Little time to make much impact, injury looks like it could be a fair few weeks out sadly

Bielik 7- Won some excellent tackles to start moves off , and totally dominant in the air

Bennett 6- Started brightly but again an early sub, another injury that didn’t look good but we’ll see 

Holmes 8 MOM- Not seen much praise of the little man today, but I thought he was excellent. Criticised his end product in recent weeks, but he played a couple of blinding Thorne esque through balls today and almost scored with a stunning effort that he contributed to the build up of. Linked up well with the other towards, and fought hard till the very end 

Lawrence 7- Was really up for it today and looked a threat carrying the ball around the opposition box. Linked up well in some good passing move, but still guilty of overplaying in the final third slightly

Martin 7- Another good performance by Chris, had some lovely deft touches, and held the ball up expertly. Getting fitness back, but I wonder if three games in a week might be a bit of a push yet. We’ll see.

Subs:

Waghorn 7- Unexpectedly got his chance early on, and took it well with a goal, and getting himself into other good positions. Fought well and unlucky not to score more.

Wisdom 6- No time to do much, but a great tackle after Lowe’s mistake 

Evans 6 - Some good passes, but a little slow to be playing the Shinnie role for me

Overall a happy ram tonight. Still worry about our defence as we look vulnerable at times, but 4 home clean sheets in a row maybe means that worry isn’t justified! What we need to do now is 2 things. One is we need to find some wins away from home like we got today. And the other is we really need to start taking our chances more often - we’ve not scored enough goals this season, and too often we’re not making our dominance of periods of play count in the scoreline. It’s hurt us already this season, and it’ll continue to hurt us if we don’t improve. But, for now, I won’t discuss that too much, because today was an excellent performance and we should all be damn happy with what we’ve seen.

5 hours ago, tinman said:

The biggest one was not giving a foul for Holmes being bodychecked around the halfway line when we were breaking forward. 

That wasn't a referees mistake, that was blatant cheating. I hate to think ref's cheat but that was a definite example of a ref cheating. 

How could that challenge not be a foul? The ref must have thought about it and decided he couldn't give it to Derby.????? WTF

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Second half didn’t quite reach the heights of the first, but we still fought hard across the full 90 to get the result our play deserved, so a job well done in that respect. To get a win against a high flying team like Preston, especially in the manner we got it today, has to mean today’s performance goes down as the best of the season so far imo. Not because there were spectacular 9/10 performances out there, but because everyone did their job, fought well, and linked up excellently as a team, which looked like they knew each other - and as a result, there were consistently decent performances across the whole team. That’s how you get a result like we got today. There was some fantastic football on show as well, particularly first half, which was a pleasure to watch. And really, we were in control of the game from start to finish which is brilliant against tough opposition, and shows were not too far off. Only shame is that once again we couldn’t make the scoreline reflect our dominance. 

Anyway, ratings for me:

Roos 7- Couple of real dodgy moments, but was excellent distributing the ball today.

Bogle 7- Quality in the final third let him down, but a threat as always

Davies 8- Man mountain and solid as a rock again. Made better choices on the ball too, got an... interesting assist too!

Forsyth 7- Shaky to start with, but grew as the game went on and finished strongly

Lowe 7- Absolutely brilliant first half, went a bit sloppy second, but was properly up for it today

Shinnie 6- Little time to make much impact, injury looks like it could be a fair few weeks out sadly

Bielik 7- Won some excellent tackles to start moves off , and totally dominant in the air

Bennett 6- Started brightly but again an early sub, another injury that didn’t look good but we’ll see 

Holmes 8 MOM- Not seen much praise of the little man today, but I thought he was excellent. Criticised his end product in recent weeks, but he played a couple of blinding Thorne esque through balls today and almost scored with a stunning effort that he contributed to the build up of. Linked up well with the other towards, and fought hard till the very end 

Lawrence 7- Was really up for it today and looked a threat carrying the ball around the opposition box. Linked up well in some good passing move, but still guilty of overplaying in the final third slightly

Martin 7- Another good performance by Chris, had some lovely deft touches, and held the ball up expertly. Getting fitness back, but I wonder if three games in a week might be a bit of a push yet. We’ll see.

Subs:

Waghorn 7- Unexpectedly got his chance early on, and took it well with a goal, and getting himself into other good positions. Fought well and unlucky not to score more.

Wisdom 6- No time to do much, but a great tackle after Lowe’s mistake 

Evans 6 - Some good passes, but a little slow to be playing the Shinnie role for me

Overall a happy ram tonight. Still worry about our defence as we look vulnerable at times, but 4 home clean sheets in a row maybe means that worry isn’t justified! What we need to do now is 2 things. One is we need to find some wins away from home like we got today. And the other is we really need to start taking our chances more often - we’ve not scored enough goals this season, and too often we’re not making our dominance of periods of play count in the scoreline. It’s hurt us already this season, and it’ll continue to hurt us if we don’t improve. But, for now, I won’t discuss that too much, because today was an excellent performance and we should all be damn happy with what we’ve seen.

Holmes star man wow, for me he was very weak, Bielik, Forsyth, Martin and Lawrence much better for me, but that's why I love this game, opinions are so different from fans watching the same game, at least u did not give Roos star man, do u enjoy 10 pints before a game lol

3 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Holmes star man wow, for me he was very weak, Bielik, Forsyth, Martin and Lawrence much better for me, but that's why I love this game, opinions are so different from fans watching the same game, at least u did not give Roos star man, do u enjoy 10 pints before a game lol

Holmes brings much to the team but far too often moves break down when the ball reaches him through a wayward pass or poor decision. 

(I see he got top rating on Who Scored, yet had by far the worst pass completion of those with many minutes on the pitch)

I'm a very happy Derby fan and it would have been a travesty if we hadn't won today. We showed both sides of the game today with silky football cutting preston open but also grit and determination to keep them at bay when necessary. This year won't be the year we go up but next year we'll be a formidable opponent who i think could run rampant if we keep everything together.  I was worried about the shift in formations but we looked well drilled and competent with different shapes and styles of play which can only be a good thing. I thought the referee generally had a solid game but i'm still wondering how bogle didn't win a pen (was shoved off the ball anywhere else was a pen) or how holmes didn't get a freekick. 

I thought in the first half our quick passing and tempo put Preston to shame at times and if we'd been a bit better with our finishing we'd have been out of sight.  We might need to get a goalscorer in if rooney doesn't perform how we hope. Defensively we looked comfortable up until we had to defend set pieces where we always looked shaky.  Personally, I want to see Roos sold in January and bring someone else in. I know it's contentious but i've never rated him and see him as a complete liability who wouldn't look out of place in a division or two below.  

Preston remind me of our 2006 team a lot, they could definitely challenge but you can smell a distinct lack of talent in the squad and a reliance upon a team ethos. Except i think they actually have even less talent than our team from that period.. we had lupoli, david jones, leacock, howard etc. they won't be in the playoffs by the end of the season. 

11 hours ago, jono said:

Something else I enjoyed was midfield. Coming out of defence we (for the first time in an age ) seemed to have an extra man in the middle.  The receiver of the ball had options. It’s true in the second half we won fewer second balls and ran in to each other on occasions but we held the middle and from there all things are possible. We harried but it wasn’t headless harrying. We won the ball back and had somewhere constructive to put it. Throw ins were faster and more intelligent too. I have an overall feeling that we were thinking positively rather than just playing on ability in a simple passage of play 

Exactly, this was a boost today, seems like we were back to the heady days of Man u and Chelski last season. we were passing the ball

to the midfield from the wings, instead of going back towards the goal, and there were options to pass to, looking good!!!!

5 hours ago, Derby blood said:

I'm afraid nobody seems to notice how much hammer Holmes has to endure during 90 minutes of play, he just picks himself

up and carries on, but this gradually accumulates, especially the 3/4 body checks every game.  

Preston were cynical with their body checks, trips, standing infront of the ball at every free kick, and the usual antics from Ben Pearson - a latter day Terry Hurlock. 

But they also have a few good players - Gallagher is absolutely outstanding (albeit a veteran); Alan Browne is a good player, plus Barkhuizen, Maguire, storey etc. They are a model championship club. Their wages are reasonable; their annual losses are sustainable and they balance the books through sales.

Much to admire.....but cut out the shitty fouling lads. I can see why Stoke wanted Alex Neil ?

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

That wasn't a referees mistake, that was blatant cheating. I hate to think ref's cheat but that was a definite example of a ref cheating. 

How could that challenge not be a foul? The ref must have thought about it and decided he couldn't give it to Derby.????? WTF

And 10 seconds later he gave them a cheap free kick,this is why Refs frustrate me they’re not even consistent in the same minute never mind the same game letting some fouls go then immediately blowing up for a similar foul.

I’m confident of playing anyone at home. 
Worried about playing anyone away from home. 

5 points off the play offs with Rooney arriving in the squad in 5/6 weeks. 

This isn’t massively important to me as I’d rather us see progression in our players implementing his tactics (ie first half today) than to go up the table playing pragmatic football with no real plan. If we can do both then brilliant but it’s important to remember that this season was written off by a lot a few weeks ago so we need to keep expectations in check if fortunes do take an upward turn... 

7 hours ago, Derby blood said:

6 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Holmes brings much to the team but far too often moves break down when the ball reaches him through a wayward pass or poor decision. 

(I see he got top rating on Who Scored, yet had by far the worst pass completion of those with many minutes on the pitch)

He’s been poor for his standards this season, but he was excellent yesterday. That pass for Waghorn in the first half was absolutely sublime.

7 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Holmes was blowing out of his arse for the last 10 minutes. He wasn’t helping Lowe our at all. 

15 minutes ago, tinman said:

Holmes was blowing out of his arse for the last 10 minutes. He wasn’t helping Lowe our at all. 

You’re right but as the clock ticked down more and more attacks and recovery clearances came to him and out via him. He was getting a lot of ball just as he was running out of steam. Out the ball came and it was go on Duane, your turn ...again. Multiple reps on the sprinting machine after a long session. It’s a killer.

fitness and the engine you’re born with both play a part. I thought Bogle looked the least tired considering what he did during the game. 

21 minutes ago, tinman said:

I thought I could hear something

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I had a perfect view of that, it was absolutely baffling to see it not given. You could see both arms of the defender push Bogle to the floor. Angles help, but it was as clear as day from my perspective. I’m just glad it didn’t cost us. 

Same here. 

9 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Right in front of me. No pen end of....

Were you in the West or South stand? As Ambitious has said above the angle may mean you didn't see it the way I saw it. 

I'm in the South Lower, on the side it happened, and the defender absolutely pushed him, wasn't a body check, a debatable shepherd the ball out of play, wasn't even a arm to hold him off, 2 hands in his chest and pushed him. Like I said if that was anywhere else on the pitch it was a freekick, so should have been a penalty. I would have also no complaints if it was the other way round and a penalty given against us. 

Not sure why you reacted with an angry face. 

Archived