Preston (H) - Match Thread

Comrade 86

13 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Just got in, and our good home form continues, sort out the away results, and top 6 is on, again thought we should had made it more comfortable, Waghorn missing a couple of great chances, a special mention for Forsyth who has shown plenty of guts and determination to be playing again, read the game well, got rid of it when he needed to, an excellent performance from him, also thought Bielik was very good again, think he will play at the top one day, only 21 years old and has bags of potential, Lawrence and Martin first half was something else, the 1 touch and movement was a joy to be hold, now onto Fulham, I will be there, let's get the 3 points, and really start to kick on, in Cocu I thrust. 

Blimey - his eyes are out on stalks already without you chalking your cue. 

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just home. Really enjoyed that - a proper game of football.

Most of it has been said already, but delighted for Forsyth and Martin - loyal servants who have been through tough times yet look as committed and capable as they ever did.

Bielik starting to look like he may become a £10 million player. The defence splitting ball to Waghorn second half was worthy of Thorne in his pomp. Such a shame Wags didn’t bury it.

Final thought - Max Lowe’s first appearance in the 16 was, believe it or not, the 4-4 with Ipswich back in 2013. Today may have been the day when he became our first choice left back. I hope so. One of our own.

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not today, foul and a yellow card was correct and I thought the ref was decent and Preston should have scored if that twit hadn’t touched the ball in the net who was offside because it was going in I believe but an excellent victory for the Rams 

His stoods was very dangerouse challege and he never touched the ball and say again ref poor and a joke.

What a fantastic first half. Probably the best cohesive team football we have played since Mac1. We were a unit, we moved the ball quickly, first touch and boy did it make a difference. If Duanes shot against the bar had gone in we would have had a goal of the season candidate. Great great interplay. Isn’t Martin good when he has close support ! I honestly feel the lads are getting to know each other and just maybe are developing a style of play. 

Waggy scored but could have had 3. Bogle had two great chances too. No blame, just one of those days but as one went in and we got 3 points who cares.

Second half kept at it but PNE woke up a bit and our tanks were running low. Last 10 and Holmes was on empty but they all kept biting. Well done.

Fozzie was great at CB. Winning headers and some no faffing around clearances. Bielik was imperious at times and looked every bit the player we thought we were getting. That ball to set Waggy up was blissful. Tom Lawrence, man on fire with a point to prove and a reputation to rebuild. Do that every week lad and you’ll do just fine. Max Lowe has got better defensively and looks seriously dangerous on the ball as does JB on the other side.

So happy. Yeah so 1-0 isn’t exactly sexy but the football was pretty damned good. Another day and that would have been a  3-0 thumping. Chatting to some PNE fans on the way back down the river and they said they couldn’t believe they weren’t buried by half time and we looked to be the best team they’d seen away all season.

Happy days .. Cocu is getting there, there is a plan and it’s coming together and I hope just in time for the new year renaissance to lay the ghost of the flop of past seasons 

COYR

26 minutes ago, twinthe_12 said:

Sorry to say it - but Shinnie's accident was the best thing that could happen for us. He's not able to combine and deliverca good pass sp it was nice to get Evans in instead. Now we only need Holmes aut and put Paterson or Dowell in instead. Then we got a fine midfield with mor drive and move of a threat going forward and to score more gools.

Cocky thinking about moving Boylle either up and put Wisdom in at right back is good thinking, because Bogle's defensive play at isn't good enough yet but going forward is much better.

Kegle Roos showed that his isn't good enough - too unsure to make a decision - give Hamer a chance to show his qualities.

Forsyth did fantastic and love is getting better for every game his playing.

Now Cocu needs to demand more simple play with lots of small quick passing then we'll be fine.

Agree with most of this but I think you're being a tad harsh on Shinnie. He's a proper terrier and the only player we have who really fits that mould. I also think he does the basics well enough. AGree on Evans though - I've been banging on about him for 2 seasons now as I firmly believe there's proper player in there. Injuries and limited opportunities have prevented him showing the kind of form I think he can but we may seem him get a run of games now and I really hope he can show what he's about. Rooney might suit an attacking midfield role these days and Bielik I still believe will prove to be a monster of a player.

I think Bogle is better in defence than you credit him for. He was exposed once of twice today but that was as a consequence of poor decision by others higher up the pitch. I said at the start of the season that in him and Max Lowe we have two of the best FBs in the div and I stand by that comment.

As for Kelle, jury's out for me. He's got all the physical attributes and statistically he's doing ok. Some argue that he doesn't command his area as one might like but surely the coaches must be able to address this. I'd not be dropping him just yet in any case.

Lastly, on your comment on the pattern of play, I don't think any changes are required other than to make sure that we remain decisive and move the ball around at pace when feasible. Early season we looked ponderous but in recent games we've looked a lot more incisive, so perhaps the players are becoming more confident in their ability to deliver what Cocu is asking of them. First half today was a joy to watch even if the game could have been killed off in 40 minutes had we been a tad more clinical. There are one or two comments saying Preston weren't up to much but I think we made them look ordinary, especially in the way we worked our socks off when out of possession. The attractive footy aside, there was some steely grit and determination on show today and that's extremely welcome from a team that's on occasions looked a bit unwilling to roll up their sleeves and dig in.

COYR

24 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Rooney for Holmes then ?

After watching him play over here, he's def a bit slower, so see him as either alongside Bielik

dictating play, or in Martins position, but will certainly be taking spotkicks/corners etc..

But what a fantastic 1st half, best this season. Forsyth has just solved 50% of the CB problem, and think we

will start to see more game time for Wisdom, with Bogle pushing on regularly if we have a 1 nil lead.

Can't wait to see what we can do at the Cottage   COYR  ?

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Where did all the preston fans come from anyway,  dont remember them having such a good following in the past 

They only came to see the Derby. Can’t see Preston lasting the season up their. If we can sort our away form out it’s the only thing letting us down this season..

Fozzy, Martin and Lawrence awesome today. Holmes and Roos real weak points in this team and need replacing in Jan. Waghorn needs to up his one on one training as well. Good win against 2nd in the league though  (this league is poo this year) 

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

Like what? I thought they were pretty much all justified and correct and agreed with them all aside from the one where we could/should have had a penalty.

The biggest one was not giving a foul for Holmes being bodychecked around the halfway line when we were breaking forward. 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Fozzy, Martin and Lawrence awesome today. Holmes and Roos real weak points in this team and need replacing in Jan. Waghorn needs to up his one on one training as well. Good win against 2nd in the league though  (this league is poo this year) 

I thought holmes worked his socks off today.

Something else I enjoyed was midfield. Coming out of defence we (for the first time in an age ) seemed to have an extra man in the middle.  The receiver of the ball had options. It’s true in the second half we won fewer second balls and ran in to each other on occasions but we held the middle and from there all things are possible. We harried but it wasn’t headless harrying. We won the ball back and had somewhere constructive to put it. Throw ins were faster and more intelligent too. I have an overall feeling that we were thinking positively rather than just playing on ability in a simple passage of play 

I said on a thread a while ago that I thought the  game had moved on and Martin wouldn’t be effective in this team. I think a change on our style of play has helped, however for me today, his best performance in a Derby shirt since the game he destroyed Wolves a few seasons ago.

Hopefully he will continue to prove me wrong as does TL to all his doubters, once again put in another good performance. For me he is still our most dangerous and creative player, moving him to to the middle gives him that extra space to showcase this.

57 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Roos - clean sheet !

bogle - decent 

Davies - solid 

Forsyth - magnificent considering everything 

lowe - very solid

beilick - very good 

Holmes - decent effort on goal  but never looks up much in general play 

Shinnie - looks like a hamstring injury sadly 

Bennett- very good until injured 

Lawrence - deserved a goal and a major threat 

Martin - excellent without getting a chance on goal 

subs Waghorn - a goal that hit him and 3 efforts which he should have at least scored 2 of them

Evans - very steady 

wisdom - nice to see you 

Preston - very average like so many other teams this season 

I feel almost bad for Lawrence because I thought he had maybe his best all round game today and he worked like a trojan.

He just happened to do it on a day when Fozzy came back and had an utter blinder.

Nice problem to have not knowing who to give MOTM to.

12 minutes ago, tinman said:

The biggest one was not giving a foul for Holmes being bodychecked around the halfway line when we were breaking forward. 

Completely the correct decision.

Rather than pass it to an open man he ran straight into a group of three opposition players and was never ever going to get out of it with the ball.

10 minutes ago, tinman said:

Not sure if you were, but I was watching on TV, and that was dubious. It definitely could have been given, and maybe would have by a lot of ref.

But in fairness to the ref it was consistant with how he let the game flow.

I'd take that kind of reffing every week. No card flashing, not being the centre of attention, just letting grown men get on with it.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Completely the correct decision.

Rather than pass it to an open man he ran straight into a group of three opposition players and was never ever going to get out of it with the ball.

A foul is still a foul regardless of whether the player should have passed it or not.

Archived