Preston (H) - Match Thread

Comrade 86

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

You just can’t underestimate Chris Martin’s performance yesterday. He’s been impressive up until now but he was elite yesterday. Bullied a hardened Preston defence and was vital in getting Lawrence & co into the game.

Not quite sure where he’s pulled this form from but he is going to be a serious asset this season.

Have to agree.  At the time, I described his part in the Holmes bar-hitting move as "sublime".  Having just seen the highlights, I was wrong... it was so much better than that!  ?

Has anyone mentioned how poor in taste the Lawrence song was? 

Regardless of whether he’s been forgiven/the justice system has dealt with him/the away fans were mocking him it doesn’t excuse singing a song that celebrates what he did. 

There’ll be fans at our ground that have lost relatives in drink drive collisions.

Why not use that creativity to come up with a song that doesn’t make us look like arsssholes? 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Regardless of whether he’s been forgiven/the justice system has dealt with him/the away fans were mocking him it doesn’t excuse singing a song that celebrates what he did. 

There’ll be fans at our ground that have lost relatives in drink drive collisions.

Why not use that creativity to come up with a song that doesn’t make us look like arsssholes? 

Which Lawrence song? I am not sure i could have heard the words to it.

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Holmes star man wow, for me he was very weak, Bielik, Forsyth, Martin and Lawrence much better for me, but that's why I love this game, opinions are so different from fans watching the same game, at least u did not give Roos star man, do u enjoy 10 pints before a game lol

Holmes seems to have become the scapegoat in recent weeks... think people have to understand the role he’s playing is one of the hardest in the team. You’re always at the most threat of losing the ball when you’re the one carrying it and making the difficult through passes etc. When a few of them come off like they did yesterday, and when he works as hard as he did yesterday, credit has to come where credits due.

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Holmes star man wow, for me he was very weak, Bielik, Forsyth, Martin and Lawrence much better for me, but that's why I love this game, opinions are so different from fans watching the same game, at least u did not give Roos star man, do u enjoy 10 pints before a game lol

Totally agree Bielik Forsyth Martin and Lawrence were fantastic in my opinion ( I don’t do extreme praise lightly) with max lowe doing very well also whilst Holmes and waghorn could have done so much better yesterday 

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Holmes seems to have become the scapegoat in recent weeks... think people have to understand the role he’s playing is one of the hardest in the team. You’re always at the most threat of losing the ball when you’re the one carrying it and making the difficult through passes etc. When a few of them come off like they did yesterday, and when he works as hard as he did yesterday, credit has to come where credits due.

I don’t think scapegoat is the correct term but he clearly can do a lot of highly effective and simple things much better which leads to disappointment in him and for me it’s get your head up and look for your teammates in the best position 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t think scapegoat is the correct term but he clearly can do a lot of highly effective and simple things much better which leads to disappointment in him and for me it’s get your head up and look for your teammates in the best position 

I’m sure he’ll be as frustrated as anyone with his form in recent weeks, he has messed up a fair few simple passes in fairness. But he made up for them with some absolutely brilliant vision at times yesterday. Hopefully it gives him the confidence now, and he starts to get his form in general play back to what it was last season.

39 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Moronic. 

Same people chanting are probably the same who initially condemned him.

Why can’t we just try and move on? 

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Which reminds me...

Can't remember the specific incident, or indeed the specific player, but as one of our players received the ball wide left in our own half, the guy sat 2 seats to my left yelled "Look Up, Look up.  Pass the bloody thing!"... just as the guy in the row behind simultaneously shouted "Get your head down and run at 'em" or words to that effect!

Fans eh?  Who'd have 'em!   ?

51 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

48 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Which Lawrence song? I am not sure i could have heard the words to it.

It was revelling in Lawrence’s drink driving. I agree that it’s a terrible song in bad taste, but it shouldn’t be blown out of proportion. There were probably about 50 people max singing it (from the video I saw) and I can’t really seeing it catching on.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It was revelling in Lawrence’s drink driving. I agree that it’s a terrible song in bad taste, but it shouldn’t be blown out of proportion. There were probably about 50 people max singing it (from the video I saw) and I can’t really seeing it catching on.

Probably explains why I didn't notice it. There are sadly going to be some morons in a crowd of 27k.

Agree hope it doesn't catch on

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I don't think he was the best player on the pitch yesterday, but I do think Holmes had his best game for us for some time. Similarly with Davies, his sharpness in defensive situations is improving game on game.

Yes Angie, Curtiss seemed much more comfortable yesterday. Maybe their lumbering front man helped a bit, but he wasn’t shy about bringing the ball forward and was passing more quickly, I think maybe Fozzie gave him some confidence ? And let’s not forget he won the header that went in off Waggy’s Torso. I actually first thought Curtis had scored it in the goalmouth melee. 

12 hours ago, ramit said:

Liked the interview with Cocu, he's becoming more relaxed in his role as he sees the team responding to his style of play

In comparison with some earlier interviews, he was positively effervescent

He’s reaping the rewards of getting that midfield balance right. It’s been a bit of a baptism of fire for him and it’s taken some time to click but it looks like he’s starting to work out what is required in this division and the partnerships/blend he needs to get the team functioning in a rough and tumble league like this!

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

He’s reaping the rewards of getting that midfield balance right. It’s been a bit of a baptism of fire for him and it’s taken some time to click but it looks like he’s starting to work out what is required in this division and the partnerships/blend he needs to get the team functioning in a rough and tumble league like this!

A win would be great against Fulham but at this stage I’d just like to see this level of team play repeated, regardless of the result. 

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

You just can’t underestimate Chris Martin’s performance yesterday. He’s been impressive up until now but he was elite yesterday. Bullied a hardened Preston defence and was vital in getting Lawrence & co into the game.

Not quite sure where he’s pulled this form from but he is going to be a serious asset this season.

The interchange between Lawrence-Martin-Holmes which resulted in Holmes's volleyed shot was sublime especially as it was at full pace; the little, single "keepy-uppy" by Martin which Holmes laced onto the bar was pure Brazilian blend. Yes GIF by Brittany Broski

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just watched the short highlights... WTF was Waggy trying to do with his shirt after the goal? 

Shades of Balotelli and "That bib incident"!  ?

It seemed to be something to do with him showing he was the Derby number 9 as he was attempting to drag the number around to the front, presumably in reference to Chris martins stake for the number /position of late.

Bit weird tho,there seems to be room for both of them out there and i would  surprised if waggers is that insecure about the situation.

Archived