Preston (H) - Match Thread

Comrade 86

28 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

Probably about right. I think I'm annoyed because he's fluffed other chances in other games. I'm prob being harsh but just expect more from him 'cos I think he's a decent player. It's not like he's rubbish and therefore expectations are set accordingly - it's that I think he's a decent player and should be putting those away. The one in the second half from the thru ball from Bielik should have been put away and the one-on-one.... a striker of his standard should be putting those away for sure. He went for in-between the legs and keeper was expecting it. Anyway, as someone else said, I shouldn't really be moaning about the guy that scored the match-winning goal (although it basically hit him on the way in! :))

I get your point. He can finish those chances, which is why it’s frustrating that he’s missing them.

I was saying at the start of the season that he could get 20 goals for us if he’s our main striker. He won’t get that now because he hasn’t been as clinical as he was in the second half of last season, and he’s rightly lost his figurative Number 9 status to Chris Martin.  He’ll always put in a shift though, and I imagine he’ll give CM  a run for his money at some point. 

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Preston North End fan visiting Derby for the first time with his grandson can I say that the Derby played first half was the best I have seen from any team we have played so far this season.  Not seen many teams bully us like that that's usually what we do, you managed to stop are dangerous players from getting the ball and passed the ball around really well.  I thought in the second half you sat of and prevented us from making many chances, quite impressive as this year we have been scoring. We were also impressed with the ground, the stewards even the pukka pies where decent, as well as the atmosphere created by both sets of fans.  Good luck for the rest of season... we got beat but we enjoyed our day in Derby.

4 minutes ago, PRESTON WHITE said:

As a Preston North End fan visiting Derby for the first time with his grandson can I say that the Derby played first half was the best I have seen from any team we have played so far this season.  Not seen many teams bully us like that that's usually what we do, you managed to stop are dangerous players from getting the ball and passed the ball around really well.  I thought in the second half you sat of and prevented us from making many chances, quite impressive as this year we have been scoring. We were also impressed with the ground, the stewards even the pukka pies where decent, as well as the atmosphere created by both sets of fans.  Good luck for the rest of season... we got beat but we enjoyed our day in Derby.

Thanks and good luck for the rest of your season. Got a lot of time for Alex Neil and thought his half time substitutions addressed your first half problems well. 

We're a bit short on confidence and if one of your half chances had gone in might have been a different outcome. 

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thanks and good luck for the rest of your season. Got a lot of time for Alex Neil and thought his half time substitutions addressed your first half problems well. 

We're a bit short on confidence and if one of your half chances had gone in might have been a different outcome. 

Maybe but I thought you made the best chances and our goalkeepers was far busier than yours.... I think this league the way it is this year anybody can beat anybody and most games will be very close.  I am a fan of our manager and the way he has to work with smaller resources than most makes his job harder, but as I said I enjoyed the way Derby passed the ball around drawing in our players before passing the ball into space …. very clever.  I think if you can play like that in general you will push up the table for sure.

26 minutes ago, PRESTON WHITE said:

Thanks for your insight. Our first-half performance surprised us just as much as it did you!

The way we dominated you actually reminded me a bit of what Leeds do to us at Elland Road in the league. Ever since Garry Monk's time there, we've barely been able to get out of our own half whenever we make the trip. Thankfully, we seem to spark into life and snatch a result in the final 10 minutes (as happened in 17/18 and 19/20).

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I get your point. He can finish those chances, which is why it’s frustrating that he’s missing them.

I was saying at the start of the season that he could get 20 goals for us if he’s our main striker. He won’t get that now because he hasn’t been as clinical as he was in the second half of last season, and he’s rightly lost his figurative Number 9 status to Chris Martin.  He’ll always put in a shift though, and I imagine he’ll give CM  a run for his money at some point. 

Agreed. He really, really can't play that lone striker / target man role tho - just not his game. He's a decent footballer and works very hard but we look a more balanced outfit with CM up top and someone buzzing around him.

Some of CM's play against Preston was excellent - little flicks and t-ing things up very nicely for others to hit first time. He really does have a quality touch. 

First chance to post since Saturday , very proud of the lads , in my opinion the best 90 minute performance of the season , congratulations to the boss , your plans are beginning to take shape , outstanding performances from Fozzy , Lawrence and Martin , but special praise for the fans , especially the last 20mins when some players were puffing and legs getting heavy , the crowd roared them on to a great 3pts , well done everybody , onto Fulham , and lets get this away form sorted COYR

6 hours ago, Premier ram said:

but special praise for the fans , especially the last 20mins when some players were puffing and legs getting heavy , the crowd roared them on to a great 3pts , well done everybody , onto Fulham , and lets get this away form sorted COYR

I'd like to say that whilst I do agree with what you're saying, and that the fans who stayed were great, the number of people who left between 80 minutes and the final whistle on Saturday was properly embarrassing. It was like we were 4-0 down. I don't think I've seen it quite that bad before.

I get that it can save 10 or 15 minutes of sitting in traffic, but isn't seeing Derby one of the highlights of your week? What's the big rush? How do you think the players feel when they look up and see so many leaving when they are fighting to retain a tight lead? It just really baffles me.

At a time when your club are getting some bad press I though it important I make this post.

My grandson was the lone Preston mascot on Saturday. He was told it would simply be walking out with the team which he was over the moon about. However, Derby invited him for a tour of the stadium, arranged for him to go into the PNE dressing room, let him spend about 40 minutes kicking  a ball about with home mascots and invited him to take penalties with Rammie at half time. Absolute class and a day he will never forget. I would also add my praise for the friendliness of the stewards and club staff, which believe me isn’t always the case elsewhere. Thank you and good luck for the rest of the season.

First chance I've had since Saturday when I actually got to the game thanks to a friends cousin who is a season ticket holder. Thanks Ray. 

I can only repeat what others have said and I wanted to post this after the match. 

What a difference Chris Martin makes to this team. Had a good look at him closely in the first half. His touch and control is superb. He now has the experience and holds the ball brilliantly. A couple of tight one touch moments in interplay with others was sublime. What a goal that Holmes one would have been. Beautiful move, deserved the goal. 

CM MoM for me. 

Waggers should have had 3. Tom worked hard and finally Cocu has found a formula and system that works even if it was by accident. Bielek functional, fozzy looked comfortable. Davis solid even keoghesque at one point. 

Interesting to see the wisdom change. Their number 15 was getting so much of the ball without challenge second half. 

Lowe did good too. Hope thats him as the number 3 now. 

Take a point tommorow to back that up with 3 next Saturday then a great week after forest. 

Watched the full 90mins on RamsTV yesterday. Haven't got much to add that people haven't already mentioned, but that first 45mins was a joy to watch.  

Also, credit to Cocu too whose match-plan went out of the window twice in that first half with injuries to Shinnie and Bennett. He adapted, and consolidated our advantage on both occasions. 

On 23/11/2019 at 17:19, Xlor said:

Im not entirely sure thats 100% correct but hey ho. Were best mates now?. Eieieio

I know we’re mates now lol .... but one up top 

are we still going with it ... 4th 3-0 away defeat with it this season 

Or we sticking with it Cos everyone else does ? Lol ?

39 minutes ago, Squid said:

bbc three get a room GIF by BBC

I don’t get it ?

its a genuine observation this side away from home can’t play one up top successfully 

form and results back me up ... why do we carry on persisting with it 

If we were losing by the odd goal then fair play ... but we’re getting tonked more often than not 

im just perplexed and would love to know the reasoning for basically flogging their dead horse of a tactic on the road when it’s clear we don’t have the players to execute it 

18 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I don’t get it ?

its a genuine observation this side away from home can’t play one up top successfully 

If we were losing by the odd goal then fair play ... but we’re getting tonked more often than not 

im just perplexed and would love to know the reasoning for basically flogging their dead horse of a tactic on the road when it’s clear we don’t have the players to execute it 

I would argue that we easily had the chances to beat Hull, were the better team against Forest and had chances against Fulham. Those last 3 away results look far worse than performances. Before those games, Yeap, dreadful. A lot of individual blunders that tactics played very little part in. All of our front players have missed chances in those games and at key times. If we created nothing then I would argee entirely.

32 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I don’t get it ?

hahaha mate nothing to do with what you was saying dont worry I completely agree with you, was more a jokey comment towards you and Xlor winking at each other you pair of cheeky scallywags

On 28/11/2019 at 20:28, BondJovi said:

I would argue that we easily had the chances to beat Hull, were the better team against Forest and had chances against Fulham. Those last 3 away results look far worse than performances. Before those games, Yeap, dreadful. A lot of individual blunders that tactics played very little part in. All of our front players have missed chances in those games and at key times. If we created nothing then I would argee entirely.

Forest league game was with two up top

ironically our best away performance

i think when u lose as many as we have done away from home with one up top?, by the score lines that we have u have to question the tactics 

let’s not forget there’s been several inept performances there never mind mistakes where simply we were never in it 

Brentford and charlton spring to mind 

Archived