Nathan Jones

Nuwtfly

8 minutes ago, GenBr said:

No way does McClaren fit. He won the Eredivisie at Twente and he won the league cup and got runners up in the UEFA cup with Middlesbrough. He's done a good job for at least 3 different clubs as head coach/manager and for even more as part of the coaching team.

Clough at Burton? He did well for us, but I’m thinking of people as well who tend to end up gravitating back to the same clubs, sometimes with their tale between their legs, having had their fingers burnt at a higher level. Not saying Clough is that exactly, but he’s kind of that. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Wish I could get a £2m payoff after 3 months work. 

Would happily retire!

Not forgetting the drink from Stoke ?

I believe Jones is tailor made for teams who he can instil a work ethic, Do as they're told and not paid a kings ransom, He's very animated on the touchline and wears his heart on his sleeve.

The PL teams and players very rarely fit the above, You'd better win your 1st few games to get the supporters on your side...ie Wolves manager.

He'll find a place where he can work his beliefs...the EFL somewhere.

Some quotes from Saints fans

"the end of an error"

replying to...his sacking after 3 months

"I agree 3 months was ridiculous - should have been 1 at the most or preferably zero"

replying to...how can anyone turn round a side in such a short space of time

"He did - he took us from awful to absolutely awful" 

"Reading reports of Steve Bruce on 18 month contract…not sure if could get any worse!"

"Blimey , managers have less time now than a may fly"

last one for Gaspode

"One benefit of this sacking is not seeing that Bananarama song being quoted by numpties who think they are comedy geniuses" ?

When there was talk of Rosenior being relieved of his duties and someone I'd never heard of called Paul Warne being brought in, I was advocating for Nathan Jones:

On 21/09/2022 at 16:42, Carl Sagan said:

Strange. As I said in the other thread, I would have gone for Nathan Jones if we wanted to make a change. I'm very surprised if Liam is staying at the club after this. Presuming it's true, but these are good sources.

Which just goes to show even I can be very badly wrong sometimes! ???

I think the blame here has to lie squarely with the ownership group at Southampton.

They bought the club in January last year. They had six months to settle in, learn the ropes and understand the state of play.

Why did they start the season with Hassenhuttl? They could have made an appointment in the summer and given their own man time to settle, shape the team and bring in players of his own.

Jones is the fall guy really. He’s a good coach with some very good work in the Championship and League 1. But it was a risk to thrust him into such a job mid-season with no experience at that level.

If you are going to take that kind of risk, you need to give him time, support, understanding and be prepared to roll with the punches.

Instead he was fighting a losing battle from day one, inheriting a very young squad with precarious form and their league position already trending downwards, and the fans not on board with his appointment.

No-one at the club has really helped themselves. Who would go there now?

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think the blame here has to lie squarely with the ownership group at Southampton.

They bought the club in January last year. They had six months to settle in, learn the ropes and understand the state of play.

Why did they start the season with Hassenhuttl? They could have made an appointment in the summer and given their own man time to settle, shape the team and bring in players of his own.

Jones is the fall guy really. He’s a good coach with some very good work in the Championship and League 1. But it was a risk to thrust him into such a job mid-season with no experience at that level.

If you are going to take that kind of risk, you need to give him time, support, understanding and be prepared to roll with the punches.

Instead he was fighting a losing battle from day one, inheriting a very young squad with precarious form and their league position already trending downwards, and the fans not on board with his appointment.

No-one at the club has really helped themselves. Who would go there now?

He might be the fall guy, but Jones' conduct was piss poor throughout. Just bizarre.