Nathan Jones

Nuwtfly

46 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He might be the fall guy, but Jones' conduct was piss poor throughout. Just bizarre. 

Hard to say really. Interviews with the media don’t tell the whole story, do they?

He was basically getting pelters by the fans four games in. They lacked any kind of perspective.

No wonder he was on the back foot and having to defend himself in the media. No-one was fighting his corner.

I could understand the fans losing patience quickly if he was an interim manager or he was on a short term contract, but he was given a 3.5 year deal.

If he was seen as the long term choice, they needed to get behind him and the team really.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He might be the fall guy, but Jones' conduct was piss poor throughout. Just bizarre. 

Apparently, he stated in one of his early pressers that you couldn't find another manager in Europe whose team had a better xG record than his Luton side.

Luton were eighth in the Championship on that metric at the time.

On 06/02/2023 at 11:18, TigerTedd said:

He was out of his depth at Stoke, let alone the premier league. Seems like one of those managers that just clicks with a certain club and becomes synonymous with them, making them seem like world beaters, but can never recreate it elsewhere. 

There’s a good game. Name managers that fit into that category. 

I’ll start: Holloway at Blackpool. 

Holloway got Crystal Palace promoted also.

I'm not sure if we will ever work out whether Nathan Jones is a decent manager or not. Football management is a peculiar profession, certainly in today's world, where recruitment and (sometimes) coaching is almost took out of your hands and you're left with the rest. In three months, what are you actually expected to achieve? 

Southampton went into the summer far too comfortable and decided to invest a lot in young players for the future, albeit to contribute now, but they didn't have the core squad for the now. They're feeling the effects now, so either they need to find a coach who can put these talented young players on a meteoric fast-track to their full potential within a couple of weeks or a manager who can scrap them out of the hole they're in then I think they're likely to be relegated. 

Although, all things considered, I doubt they will be in the Championship for long considering that they have a relatively low wage bill in comparison to their rivals (last accounts had it around £100m for all staff) - I can imagine a situation where they're more likely to do what Burnley were able to do. Sign good loan players, spend a bit of money to replace those who inevitably leave and give their young players a chance against lesser opposition to find their feet and a bit of confidence.  

In fairness for any relegated team, it's probably harder to not get promoted than it is to get promoted from the Championship now given the substantial financial advantage you have over the rest of the league. 

Southampton, if relegated, would probably turnover something like £25m off their own backs - similar to a Middlesbrough (for example). Yet, they will get £45-50m for the first season (almost double what they would turnover themselves) so given how they've constructed their team they have plenty of opportunity to get straight back up without much fuss. 

51 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not sure if we will ever work out whether Nathan Jones is a decent manager or not. Football management is a peculiar profession, certainly in today's world, where recruitment and (sometimes) coaching is almost took out of your hands and you're left with the rest. In three months, what are you actually expected to achieve? 

Jones said he was brought in to do a job, He's on record saying "blame me" as the job he was brought in to do...he didn't, He was overawed by the Premier League Players, He never but his stamp on the team...Southampton aint no Luton, They're Molly Coddled, Wrapped in cotton wool, They live a life of Riley...and as one of the pundits said on MOTD...the players weren't playing for him.

Supporters take longer than players to get a manager sacked, Even Dyche said the Everton players told him they could/should have performed better under the pretty boy.

It's a weird one. Under Hassenhuttl Southampton were on a downward trend from last season. Once he kept them up he probably should have been relieved of his duties in the summer. Whatever you think of Jones he's obviously not been given enough time or support to fix the underlying problems. They can sack him but I can't see them staying up as they look totally useless. 

17 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

It's a weird one. Under Hassenhuttl Southampton were on a downward trend from last season. Once he kept them up he probably should have been relieved of his duties in the summer. Whatever you think of Jones he's obviously not been given enough time or support to fix the underlying problems. They can sack him but I can't see them staying up as they look totally useless. 

Hassenhuttl never got the money to invest that was given to Jones by the new owners.

The club has always been a selling club and that accelerated under the previous owners before the current lot.

I think Hassenhuttl is a very good manager but he was limited in what he could do because of the club selling so many players and not buying in anyone established. If there was an "underlying problem" then that was it. It does seem to be being partly addressed by the new owners, albeit most of the new players they have purchased are still young with potential high re-sale value.

Certainly Southampton played very good, entertaining football under Hassenhuttl. There was no pattern of play under Jones.

As Jones said himself, he compromised because of the internationals at the club. That just smacks of someone in awe of the players and simply not big enough for the role.

My son supports the Saints and has meltdowns whenever they lose (all too frequently). All I can say is I was mightily relieved when they sacked Jones.

Edited by IslandExile

48 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Hassenhuttl never got the money to invest that was given to Jones by the new owners.

The club has always been a selling club and that accelerated under the previous owners before the current lot.

I think Hassenhuttl is a very good manager but he was limited in what he could do because of the club selling so many players and not buying in anyone established. If there was an "underlying problem" then that was it. It does seem to be being partly addressed by the new owners, albeit most of the new players they have purchased are still young with potential high re-sale value.

Certainly Southampton played very good, entertaining football under Hassenhuttl. There was no pattern of play under Jones.

As Jones said himself, he compromised because of the internationals at the club. That just smacks of someone in awe of the players and simply not big enough for the role.

My son supports the Saints and has meltdowns whenever they lose (all too frequently). All I can say is I was mightily relieved when they sacked Jones.

Oh yeah I love Hassenhuttl tbh and at some points he had them playing so well. I think there's a very good manager there with sufficient resources. But even before the season started he seemed under pressure after their form was in a nose dive. It seemed like a natural conclusion to thank him for his service and get rid in the summer. 

In that sense Jones came into a sinking ship and generally people need time to take it in the direction they want. Maybe he was in awe of the players and not 'big enough' for the role but then why did they hire him in the first place? I'm glad for yours and your son's sake they've gotten rid of him though. Hopefully, they'll pick up in form ?

Jesse Marsch in line to replace Jones. Now, whilst I fully appreciate that Yank Lampard is potentially a better coach than Nathan Jones. I'm not sure I would be thrilled if I was a Southampton fan. Hiring a manager very recently sacked by a fellow relegation rival.

All that being said, if Marsch keeps Southampton up at the expense of Leeds that would be a great storyline! 

Think Jones' next job will be a real make it or break it for him as a respected manager. Flunked at Stoke and Southampton (albeit not really given a chance). But obviously worked wonders at Luton.

Maybe the prem is too much for him and his real skill is with galvanising the underdog in to over achieving. To be fair to him if that is the case then he'll never be out of work as there's always the need for fire fighting in the championship. 

His interviews did come across as odd and once the fans go against you its usually game over (think Phil Brown here). 

Very much looking forward to seeing his next move although if i was him i'd treat myself to a couple of months off an pick my next destination in the summer. 

23 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Jesse Marsch in line to replace Jones. Now, whilst I fully appreciate that Yank Lampard is potentially a better coach than Nathan Jones. I'm not sure I would be thrilled if I was a Southampton fan. Hiring a manager very recently sacked by a fellow relegation rival.

All that being said, if Marsch keeps Southampton up at the expense of Leeds that would be a great storyline! 

c6E318gc2X262CeDdxE=&risl=1&pid=ImgRaw&r