Luton Town (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Derby fans during this game:
Booed players for keeping possession. 
Booed there own goalscorer. 
Mocked there own keeper from the off. 

It has to be said that as a collective we have one of the poorest 'supporting' fan bases in the league. 

Which is why anybody who comes to play us they like to frustrate the crowd

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It has to be said that as a collective we have one of the poorest 'supporting' fan bases in the league. 

BOO!!!!

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Didn't hear any booing where I was.

8 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Haven't seen more than the highlights yet but if circumstances were otherwise Lawrence would have been MOTM I reckon.

And that’s why it’s important to see more than the highlights before making a judgement! Lawrence was decent but Shinnie, particularly in the first half, was better. 

I spontaneously took my daughter to her first ever game on Saturday.

We ran late, so didn't get to our seats until the 14th minute. 

I think, on the whole, we played fairly well. I think we looked more solid at set plays, I think Roos had a reasonable game (one mis-control aside, the only time he looked under threat were poorly weighted backpasses), Shinnie and Bielik could be a *very* good pairing at this level, Bogle looked a little short on confidence/fitness, and we did create some decent chances. Unfortunately, 3 of our 4 best chances fell to Josefzoon who was, by an absolute mile, the second worst player on the pitch (after Sluga). I really don't see what Cocu sees in him- I think we'd have been miles better with Holmes there (and think we would've won more comfortably). 

I think we deserved a win, but obviously the goals were flukes.

Nod to Lawrence for what I would say was the "right" celebration under the circumstances. Muted, humble, classy. Let's see what comes out of next Tuesday and hopefully move on.

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

It would help if Zoon contributes either goals or assists at home because I haven’t seen him do either at home since we signed him 

It would help if Zoon did anything positive at all! I agree he presses and works hard but surely we need more from a winger than that? We may as well play a full back there if that’s the only job we want doing. He offers nothing when he’s on the ball - absolutely nothing. Poor decision making, poor crossing and doesn’t actually seem to be that quick. I think some people mistake possession for playing well  when Lowe was RB he was ok but that’s because he was largely left alone when he was on the ball - if you looked at what he actually did it wasn’t all that  I’m not a Lowe hater - as an LB he did a very good job but he wasn’t effective - just did a job.

This was prob the best game I’ve seen Zoon have - that’s a back-handed compliment. 

Giving Zoon 6/10 and Martin 3/10 is harsh. Martin wasn’t much cop in this game but 3 is a bit much imo. 

I’d give Roos 5/10. He terrifies me. It looks a bad decision to send Carson out on loan.

15 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

If we are to be perceived as playing poor yesterday then surely it is a positive to win 2-0. Is it not a sign of a good team to play poor but still win? Historically we have struggled to beat teams that come to Pride Park with little or no attacking intent. I think it is harsh to compare Cocuball to Rowettball at this early juncture. 

We played poorly and won by 2 incredibly fluky goals. Apart from the goal one shot on target. Cannot describe this team as good at all.

38 minutes ago, Raich Van Carter said:

It would help if Zoon did anything positive at all! I agree he presses and works hard but surely we need more from a winger than that? We may as well play a full back there if that’s the only job we want doing. He offers nothing when he’s on the ball - absolutely nothing. Poor decision making, poor crossing and doesn’t actually seem to be that quick. I think some people mistake possession for playing well  when Lowe was RB he was ok but that’s because he was largely left alone when he was on the ball - if you looked at what he actually did it wasn’t all that  I’m not a Lowe hater - as an LB he did a very good job but he wasn’t effective - just did a job.

This was prob the best game I’ve seen Zoon have - that’s a back-handed compliment. 

Giving Zoon 6/10 and Martin 3/10 is harsh. Martin wasn’t much cop in this game but 3 is a bit much imo. 

I’d give Roos 5/10. He terrifies me. It looks a bad decision to send Carson out on loan.

I was basically saying zoon hasn’t done anything at home and shouldn’t be anything more than a substitute ( very little away from home as well) and just for reference it wasn’t me giving anybody anything out of ten 

I think this line from the BBC review of the game sums it up for me:

"With victory secured, Rams' manager Philip Cocu was able to bring on Andre Wisdom as an 89th-minute substitute- the defender's first appearance since April following injury."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49861219

So boring and so few things happening that they had to pad out the report with a line about how our second choice right back came on for a few minutes at the end (and possibly didn't touch the ball?)

Absolutely necessary win, glad of the three points and the clean sheet, great way to end a solid (and much needed) week - But that was the team at half-pace against a poor opponent 

7 hours ago, FindernRam said:

We played poorly and won by 2 incredibly fluky goals. Apart from the goal one shot on target. Cannot describe this team as good at all.

Admittedly I wasn't at the game on Saturday so I can't really comment on the overall performance. Maybe a better way of expressing my point is that if we played poor and still won then when we eventually click we should give someone a good spanking. Regardless, I still see it as a positive. My glass is definitely half full for now.

19 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It has to be said that as a collective we have one of the thickest 'supporting' fan bases in the league. 

Fixed that for you me owd. ?

10 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Comfortable victory and a clean sheet.

The sort of game where we may have struggled when we were a more expensive side.

7 points from 9 in a week.

Be careful what you wish for.

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Um.....

i watched the full 90 again. The first half seemed very different to the second. We were far more defensive in the second half which made me wonder whether the team were instructed to just defend the 1-0 and get the three points? Luton had moves of 12 and even 16 passes in our half. I don't think i've ever seen that before.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Um.....

i watched the full 90 again. The first half seemed very different to the second. We were far more defensive in the second half which made me wonder whether the team were instructed to just defend the 1-0 and get the three points? Luton had moves of 12 and even 16 passes in our half. I don't think i've ever seen that before.

Yes; definitely a game of 2 halves. We were quite energetic first half but then very unambitious in the 2nd. We just petered out like a damp squib; I really hope that isn’t going to be the modus operandus. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Um.....

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Yes; definitely a game of 2 halves. We were quite energetic first half but then very unambitious in the 2nd. We just petered out like a damp squib; I really hope that isn’t going to be the modus operandus. 

Personally thought at the time that during the passage of play, in the 2nd half, where we just kept the ball was to try and take the momentum away from Luton, keep the ball for the sake of keeping it away from them for a while. Obviously not everyone agreed with their loud groaning. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Personally thought at the time that during the passage of play, in the 2nd half, where we just kept the ball was to try and take the momentum away from Luton, keep the ball for the sake of keeping it away from them for a while. Obviously not everyone agreed with their loud groaning. 

It wasn't us having the ball that was the problem. It was the long spells where they had the ball. And yeah....stop going backwards. I know what cloughie would say. "Young man. Turn around, and try running at their goal. Thats what i pay you for!" 

Archived