Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Seems odd.to announce it before the trial, is that not prejudicing the trial or something? 

No, they're two separate things. One is breaking the law of the land (the act of drinking and driving plus damage) and one is breaking an agreement with the club. I'm guessing the DCFC contract has things in about bringing the club into disrepute and professional behaviour etc.

Well, Can't argue with that.

I agree though, that it does seem rather odd, that Mason's apology/statement is included in the club statement (if indeed it was initially a separate tweet?) whilst there's no word from Lawrence.

Starting to get a bit "meh" now though anyway... I just want to get back to the footy, I think!

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Well, Can't argue with that.

I agree though, that it does seem rather odd, that Mason's apology/statement is included in the club statement (if indeed it was initially a separate tweet?) whilst there's no word from Lawrence.

Starting to get a bit "meh" now though anyway... I just want to get back to the footy, I think!

I would be surprised if there isn't one from Lawrence at some point. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in a slightly more difficult situation legally than Bennett is and might not be able to release one prior to the trial.

15 minutes ago, whiteroseram said:

Seems odd.to announce it before the trial, is that not prejudicing the trial or something? 

Could well be that he is banged to rights and is going to plead guilty therefore feels his best course of action is to put his hands up early and arrive at court with the impression he has been punished by the club , is very sorry and is already on the rehabilitation trail , would that course help with his sentencing if he is to plead guilty?

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

I would be surprised if there isn't one from Lawrence at some point. It wouldn't surprise me if he's in a slightly more difficult situation legally than Bennett is and might not be able to release one prior to the trial.

Do we know who s car keough was in?

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'm sure we're all thinking this, but the absence of any comment/statement from Lawrence is really disappointing. 

It’s still early on a Friday night. He’ll knock something up when he returns from clubbing.

At least it’s been released(even though I feel the apology should have been before he played again). Would like to see a video apology too to get a sense of emotions I.e whether it’s genuine remorse or done for pr reasons but I guess you can’t have everything , it’s a start

Decent apology from Mason. Still don't think he should've played before the court case, but at the very least they should've put that statement out before he came back into the team. 

Disappointed not to see a statement from Lawrence. Perhaps an indication he's in deeper trouble than Mason? Or another example of him going missing at the inopportune moment? 

Masons apologised and I really hope it’s genuine not just a “post something like” scenario. Maybe time to move on together, forgive but don’t forget.

Lawrence probably has an apology in his drafts ready to go but can’t send it for one reason or another. Maybe after a few drinks he’ll hit post. 

Joking aside personally I want this over and done with we’ve had so many off field problems in recent years I just want to go back to enjoying the football, big game tomorrow need those 3 points. COYR.

Though I would have preferred them not to have been brought back into the squad until after the international break, I can understand the reasons for doing so. They should be re-integrated back into the team. Other players (eg Davies and Waghorn, neither in the After 8 club) have said they wanted it.

Punishment and support is the right way to go.

Unlike many, I think the club, Mel and Cocu have handled this really well, in a balanced, considered manner.

I think the punishment is appropriate and I especially like the work in the community element.

I am sure the timing of the announcement is deliberate, before the home game tomorrow. Nevertheless, I do feel Bennett's apology is genuine and heartfelt.

Those calling for Lawrence to do something similar should be patient. As someone has said, he may be facing more serious charges as someone was injured and might, therefore, be under legal advice not to say anything yet.

On the other hand, the video of Bennett was very incriminating. We don't yet know how over the limit Lawrence was, only that he was charged. So, his plea may be different, then his legal team may advise him, again, not to say anything.

Roll on October 15 so we can move on and talk about football again.

Finally, to all who have suffered because of drunk drivers, speeding drivers, bad drivers or drunks in the home or the street, I wish you well and can understand your anger at what these have done. I really hope they learn from their mistakes.

Archived