Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

34 minutes ago, cannable said:

The transport was arranged for 8, they decided to stay after the arranged transport left 

I'm not sure anyone confirmed that the cabs were only until 8

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Let he who hasn't ever got pissed up on a night out, got in the car, put his mate in the back and driven home, had a shunt into another pissed up mate and seriously injured his mate, cast the first stone eh?

I think drink driving is the epitome of stupidity/disregard for others and would gladly see them both serve prison time for it

However - I also believe in punishment and rehabilitation - People make stupid mistakes and punishments will be decided to suit - The courts will give the legal punishments and the club/manager will work out a suitable workplace punishment for them - When they have received and served those punishments they should be allowed to continue their careers with us

I'm sure this has been mentioned on the thread before but very few people on here had a problem with Jody Morris being our assistant last season - Caught as a young man (27) driving the wrong way down a one-way street three times over the legal limit - Served his punishment, learned his lesson as (as far as I'm concerned) became a better man for it - He was very vocal about that when he was at Derby

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm not part of the lynch mob that wants Lawrence and Bennett hung, drawn and quartered but there are a multitude of reasons why having them in tomorrow nights squad would be a bad idea. My opinion FWIW is that Sky have got their Guessometer out again. The same one they used when predicting the timeline for Lampard leaving.

I agree. There's no story in saying they are just training to keep fit, though, is there? 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I strongly suspect they'll be taking part in training but not selected until court matters have been decided.

Even if the club are looking to move them on in Jan, if they're fit and have been training it's an slightly easier sell.

There must be a reasonable chance they'll be in prison in January. I remember standing on the terraces at Highbury singing "Where's your donkey gone?" after Tony Adams had been sent down for drink driving, and shouting "Molby's inside" at John Barnes from the Popside as he dribbled forward when Jan Molby was in the nick for the same thing.

We've only 2 games (Barnsley and Luton) before their hearing so I'm guessing/hoping that they won't play until at least after then, when the legal picture will be clearer.

23 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned on the thread before but very few people on here had a problem with Jody Morris being our assistant last season - Caught as a young man (27) driving the wrong way down a one-way street three times over the legal limit - Served his punishment, learned his lesson as (as far as I'm concerned) became a better man for it - He was very vocal about that when he was at Derby

And lest we forget that the current man of the moment, our hero CM19 was banned from 68 pubs in his local area as a younger chap because he was such a drinking fighty lunatic

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/footballer-barred-from-68-pubs-1-506032

and then a few years later found guilty of assault

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/norwich-city-striker-fined-after-fancy-dress-party-assault-1-806810

It's more important that lessons are learned and people grow up as a result - all our judginess is just noise

And we all loved Lampard - despite (from his wikipedia page)

In 2000, Lampard, Rio Ferdinand and Kieron Dyer appeared on a sex video that was filmed at the holiday resort of Ayia Napa in Cyprus. Channel 4 aired a brief clip as part of their 2004 documentary Sex, Footballers and Videotape, claiming it was used to "remind the viewer that this is based on real life."[219] On 23 September 2001, Lampard, along with three other Chelsea players, was fined two weeks wages by the club for his behaviour whilst on a drinking binge on 12 September. Lampard and the others had abused American tourists at a Heathrow hotel, just 24 hours after the 11 September attacks. A hotel manager stated: "they were utterly disgusting. They just didn't seem to care about what had happened".

It's completely up to Cocu if he's going to play them. I simply wouldn't want to restrict him in implementing what he thinks is the best way we can get a result. I personally would give them a miss until after the trial, but at the end of the day Cocu needs points on the board. Lawrence with a rocket up his arse and a point to prove off the bench isn't a bad option. 

16 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

I have renewed my £5 a month to RamsTV.

Mr Morris and Mr Cocu have behaved impeccably as did the supporters yesterday.

As facts emerge it has become clear that no blame attaches to the club who should not be punished for the stupidity of individuals who no longer deserve to wear the team colours.

I am still confused by Keogh's part in this but feel genuinely sorry for him. (no notices of intended prosecution apparently) and wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Don’t let Boro find out you’ve piled all your money into the club.

jeez.

19 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

And lest we forget that the current man of the moment, our hero CM19 was banned from 68 pubs in his local area as a younger chap because he was such a drinking fighty lunatic

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/norwich-city-striker-fined-after-fancy-dress-party-assault-1-806810

It's more important that lessons are learned and people grow up as a result - all our judginess is just noise

The other thing is, that while we all know something serious has gone on and that there will be consequences the details that have come out are far from complete, have been guilded and added to by so many paragons of accuracy and calm.

I mean we can all trust Facebook, Snap Chat, Twitter, Daz’s Mum’s next door neighbour and “several people who I know were in the pub” can’t we ? 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

As disgraceful as his behaviour was, to be banned from 68 pubs is outstanding poohousery.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As disgraceful as his behaviour was, to be banned from 68 pubs is outstanding poohousery.

Haha agreed - However there was a slight caveat to it

I think he was actually banned from 2 - But the security company who runs the doors in a lot of East Anglia is massive so he ended up 'banned' from every pub they worked at - Regardless of whether it was feasible for him to get to those pubs or if he'd ever even been to the town before

I quite like the idea of being banned from a pub in a town I've never been to

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Haha agreed - However there was a slight caveat to it

I think he was actually banned from 2 - But the security company who runs the doors in a lot of East Anglia is massive so he ended up 'banned' from every pub they worked at - Regardless of whether it was feasible for him to get to those pubs or if he'd ever even been to the town before

I quite like the idea of being banned from a pub in a town I've never been to

Doesn’t have the same ring to it though, does it! Would definitely be one for the CV.

What I really want to know is not what went on during a single night of rank stupidity. That’s for the law and the club to sort out.

but what is the long term story and history leading up to this ? 

is there a culture ? Who is or was involved ? How come via our numerous managers and high tech performance monitoring has little more than a sniff of it been heard ? (If it’s true )

i see no problem with a player having a couple of beers on the night before his day off. Good on you, everyone needs a wind down, they are not monks .. but when does a couple of beers become something else which professional athletes just should not be doing and when does it become “normal” or acceptable ? 

i just have a feeling that some of the hot and cold performances we have seen week on week / year on year says that something for a certain element has been going on for some time. We have players who are consistent performers regardless of results. We have players who are genius one week and pants the next. Is it “form” is is there an underlying cause beyond luck and the rub of the green ? 

3 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I'm not part of the lynch mob that wants Lawrence and Bennett hung, drawn and quartered but there are a multitude of reasons why having them in tomorrow nights squad would be a bad idea. My opinion FWIW is that Sky have got their Guessometer out again. The same one used when predicting the timeline for Lampard leaving.they

That'll be 48 hours then [Wednesday]

I think they've stopped using a transfer window below League 2.

I can't see how they can play again for Derby County in the near future, and we really don't want them around the training ground. I reckon we should send them out on loan to maybe Ilkeston or Alfreton for the rest of the season. If they knuckle down and show a good attitude, then look to bring them back in the summer. If they don't, terminate their contracts.

It’s a tough one. They have both been ridiculously stupid. There’s the side of me that says we all make big mistakes in life, anyone who says they haven’t aren’t being truthful. They are in a very privileged position but are still human. As for Keogh, what has happened is shocking, despite his critics he has been an excellent servant to us. There will be those who will say as a senior player, our captain, he should not have got in the car, he should not have let them get in their cars. We all know what effect alcohol has on people. No one will need to tell him what he should have done. He will have plenty of time to reflect on ‘should haves’. 

As for the players returning to training. It has been mentioned about Lawrence’s mental state. Surely despite all what has happened the best thing for him and his well being is to get him training and doing what he knows, a bit of ‘the normal’ if you like. Cutting him off, suspending him, sacking him is not the right think for the club to do. He will have to deal with the consequences of his actions come the court date and beyond. As for selection I would not consider them until the court date when all the facts will be there for all to see.

Modern footballers are put on a pedestal and given wealth most can only dream of. Some of these guys would probably make nothing of themselves if it weren’t for football. We live in a society where a crime is given a punishment and once that punishment have been served the individual should be able to try and carry on with their life, agree or disagree that is the society in which we live.  

Once again the spotlight is on the club and up to know I believe Mel and Cocu have handled it very well. Again we are lucky to have good people at the helm. 

The club could have made this easier for Cocu by suspending all three pending further investigations. 

there is no way that any of them can be mixing with the other players, or turning out for the club in the present circumstances. 

Archived