Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

Odd timing to announce it, before the trial and at this time of night. Don’t think it should really be confirmed before the court date, but I do think it coming out before tomorrow’s match may be of benefit so I can see why they’ve done it. I still personally think that they should have been sacked for the way they conducted themselves, but I suppose this is about as significant punishment off the field that we could’ve given without that happening, so fair play to the club for that.

Doesnt change anything to do with the fact they shouldn’t be playing at the moment mind, not before the court date and especially not before this statement came out. Still fuming at the club for that, shows us In a very very poor Light, and totally unneeded as well. My views on that certainly haven’t changed. But at least they have shown they are taking it seriously. Fair play to bennett for the statement as well, needs to show now that this whole event has had an effect on him and made him a better person through the community service etc to back up his words. Sort of apology that would be expected from the pair, no idea why they played before one as that just made the decision to involve them even worse. Don’t know why Lawrence hasn’t issued one yet either, he’d better get one out tomorrow or he’ll be rightly vilified further, particulary at the match. Least you can do is apologise! Hopefully he has one written and just hasn’t released it yet. 

No apology means fans should forgive them yet though. I thoroughly expect they’ll be booed tomorrow, and they’ll absolutely deserve it. Doesn’t change for me that they shouldn’t be on the pitch.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sexydadbod said:

At least it’s been released(even though I feel the apology should have been before he played again). Would like to see a video apology too to get a sense of emotions I.e whether it’s genuine remorse or done for pr reasons but I guess you can’t have everything , it’s a start

Maybe he should shave his head, wear sackcloth and ashes, while laying prostrate in the centre circle at PPS begging for forgiveness. All carried out in front of the cameras on Saturday before the Luton game

Would that be good enough for you or would you still want a few more pounds of flesh

1 hour ago, philmycocu said:

No way he's written that himself.

However, hopefully he's learnt his lesson. Don't drive a car when you're p1ssed Mason, it's not big or clever. Don't be a dick again.

For me, that's a problem. It doesn't sound sincere.... Not sure if there is a single sentence he could've put together. 

Oh well. It's "football" and we move on.

The punishment is ok i suppose but the unpaid hours they need to get them on a real poo job and show them how lucky they are to be footballers! Still dobt agrer with them playing a week after what happened should of been made to fight for their place and maybe in 3-4weeks time then it would of been fair enough 

I’m not sure that the 80 hours community stuff is the right thing ,,, for me it kind of taints the fantastic stuff players do voluntarily as they are there putting back because they want to and it earns our respect and affection 

different if the two off their own bat say they are going to up they’re work in the community stuff but I’m not sure the club using it as a punishment is the right thing as it loses a lot of its value if you know players are being forced to do it ,,, nit picking maybe but it’s just my view

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

I’m not sure that the 80 hours community stuff is the right thing ,,, for me it kind of taints the fantastic stuff players do voluntarily as they are there putting back because they want to and it earns our respect and affection 

different if the two off their own bat say they are going to up they’re work in the community stuff but I’m not sure the club using it as a punishment is the right thing as it loses a lot of its value if you know players are being forced to do it ,,, nit picking maybe but it’s just my view

Yeh... I get it....but the punishment can be genuinely a big deal if done right.

Make them visit people really affected by drink driving. Have them listen to people who have lost people...it could genuinely turn their lives onto a better path, rather than a ticking the box exercise!

To me it appears that the club have punished them to the full extent that they are able to under the terms of their contract,Bennett has  issued an apology.I would hope Lawrence will follow suit sooner rather than latter.Now they must wait for the result of the court case.So its time to stop all this digging up the facts of this situation.Yes i am furious that this ever happened,but some of the posts on here have bordered on being hysterical.Its not time to get behind OUR team and do what we are supposed to do and SUPPORT them this is not the first time a player has been done nor will it be the last.

5 hours ago, rynny said:

If there is any doubt of what the players think, then I think this sums it up. 

Hardly a surprise, if one of your mates was caught for drink driving you wouldn’t turn your back on them and be calling for their employer to sack them, you’d Probably have 1 talk to them about it, you’d tell them they were a complete ducking idiot and we’re lucky they didn’t kill anybody, now they’ve got to live with the consequences whatever they may be and that would be it.

You certainly wouldn’t bring it up every minute of every day like it’s the be all and end all and then march off up to the moral high ground wearing your Wayne Rooney 32Red shirt.

They owt ta read this .. they might have to reschedule the work in the community yet ...

On 6 May 1990, Tony Adams( Arsenal) crashed his Ford Sierra into a wall in Rayleigh and when breathalysed his blood alcohol level was found to be more than four times the legal drink-drive limit. On 19 December that year, at Southend Crown Court, he was imprisoned for four months (being freed after half of his 8 month  sentence ) . The CPS will use cases like this against em 

4 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

They owt ta read this .. they might have to reschedule the work in the community yet ...

On 6 May 1990, Tony Adams( Arsenal) crashed his Ford Sierra into a wall in Rayleigh and when breathalysed his blood alcohol level was found to be more than four times the legal drink-drive limit. On 19 December that year, at Southend Crown Court, he was imprisoned for four months (being freed after half of his 8 month  sentence ) . The CPS will use cases like this against em 

If you remember though Adams wasn't sacked either 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If you remember though Adams wasn't sacked either 

Never said he wa but I reckon the club think they are the one dealing out punishment... I think the owd British law system might ay summat ta say abart that. 

21 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

8 Months for driving a Sierra should have been longer.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

So he's apologised and the club have punished him heavily and now we are saying that the apology isn't his and the club have punished him all wrong

Get the feeling they can do no right here?

7 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I think he did write that statement. Yes the club would have oversight and tweak as required, but mason is the sort that wears his heart on his sleeve. I have no doubt this is sincere.

If this was all the club, then Lawrence would have a similarly worded apology out by now.

I think he wrote it too. 

And if the club did edit it then it's probably to do with the fact every single move they or the the players make is twisted against them. 

8 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

At least it’s been released(even though I feel the apology should have been before he played again). Would like to see a video apology too to get a sense of emotions I.e whether it’s genuine remorse or done for pr reasons but I guess you can’t have everything , it’s a start

Think you're being very lenient.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a Rams TV live stream from their house between now and the trial just so I can be certain that they are genuinely sorry.

Think it disgusting that they have not done individual letters to each season ticket holder and anyone that has bought any merchandise since they have been at the club too, after all we pay their wages.

Also hope included in the 80 hours community service is something where they have to go and knock on everyone's door and apologise so people can gauge in person if they are truly sorry or not.

Archived