Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

Punished him heavily don't make me laugh, no i don't think it is a sincere apology, it is a contrived PR exercise instigated by the club (that's glaringly obvious by the timing of the release) which will have been written by someone within the club and then Bennett posting it as if it a statement prepared by him. All done to lessen the pressure on him and the club today. As Jim Royle would say"apology my arse"

He’s not out the clear yet. The courts have yet to punish too. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

Punished him heavily don't make me laugh, no i don't think it is a sincere apology, it is a contrived PR exercise instigated by the club (that's glaringly obvious by the timing of the release) which will have been written by someone within the club and then Bennett posting it as if it a statement prepared by him. All done to lessen the pressure on him and the club today. As Jim Royle would say"apology my arse"

Sorry but this post sounds as though it has been prepared for you by SexyDadBod or MilleniumRam.

5 minutes ago, lagavulinram said:

Is there a chance of custodial sentence?

What alcohol level did they have? If its silly high will it change opinion?

Very good question.

I always lean towards rehabilitation but I like to wait till I’ve got all facts(which we haven’t).

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Sorry but this post sounds as though it has been prepared for you by SexyDadBod or MilleniumRam.

You see it One way, i see it another. Anyway time to move on a, One thing iv'e learnt through life is.

Never argue with idiots as they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just think it's a sad state of affairs when an apology (which isnt even needed in my opinion) is released and people decide its authentic, based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that Hendrick and Russell called him thick many years ago.

Not sure what your line of work is but I'm sure if you had done the same thing you would not be doing a written apology and video for all of your customers? So not sure why you would expect it of anyone else?

Where did I say it's formed just from the fact that Hendrick and Russell called him thick? To me there's no way Bennett wrote that. Anyone can write an apology online, it's a completely different scenario sitting in front of a camera reliving the events of that night to see their emotions. To me we need them to suffer a bit and hang them out to dry, not forever, but for a bit to ensure they don't do anything like this ever again like. I've used the example quite a lot, Darron Gibson, who has been charged with drink driving on a number of occasions, he didn't learn the first time around because he wasn't ridiculed and he didn't learn his lesson.   

My role and their jobs are completely different, I'm not in the public spotlight for one getting paid thousands upon thousands a week, if I was I'd give up drink. And I did potentially end a colleague's career, I'd never forgive myself and send written apologies to everyone in the office. It;s completely different with football, if it was up to me, both of them would have to do a rams tv interview apologising which would be showed at half time at a match, rather than just a twitter apology that many Derby fans probably won't even see.

27 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

If it was a contrived PR exercise by the club, they’d have done one for Lawrence as well.

42 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

The fine was the maximum that could be applied. 

I don't know what else they could have done to punish them or what would generally be considered appropriate but I get the feeling some wouldn't be satisfied unless they were publicly flogged in the middle of the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Curious question, do you know anyone or have you yourself been a victim as a result of drink driving?

Not something I'm proud of but pretty sure I would have driven over the limit when I was their age.

Best friend narrowly avoided death as a result of drink driving and was imprisoned. Wont go into detail on here but there were reasons behind it.

No way would I have turned my back on my best friend, so it would be hypocritical to do it to other people who's circumstances I have no idea about.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe Lawrence has written  an apology and they are going to get Jamie Thrasivoulou to read it out before the match?

It was midnight and I'd been drinking, 

As usual my attitude was stinking,

My driving was at the least to say rash, 

Then came the inevitable crash,

The fans have always thought I'm a bad egg,

Only worse now I've ruined the captains leg,

The club have stuck by me and let me get back on the ball,

So I thought I'd take this chance to sorry to you all

Too many rhymes for one of his

24 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Where did I say it's formed just from the fact that Hendrick and Russell called him thick? To me there's no way Bennett wrote that. Anyone can write an apology online, it's a completely different scenario sitting in front of a camera reliving the events of that night to see their emotions. To me we need them to suffer a bit and hang them out to dry, not forever, but for a bit to ensure they don't do anything like this ever again like. I've used the example quite a lot, Darron Gibson, who has been charged with drink driving on a number of occasions, he didn't learn the first time around because he wasn't ridiculed and he didn't learn his lesson.   

Based on what exactly.

My role and their jobs are completely different, I'm not in the public spotlight for one getting paid thousands upon thousands a week, if I was I'd give up drink. And I did potentially end a colleague's career, I'd never forgive myself and send written apologies to everyone in the office. It;s completely different with football, if it was up to me, both of them would have to do a rams tv interview apologising which would be showed at half time at a match, rather than just a twitter apology that many Derby fans probably won't even see.

What relevance has how much someone is being paid?

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not something I'm proud of but pretty sure I would have driven over the limit when I was their age.

Best friend narrowly avoided death as a result of drink driving and was imprisoned. Wont go into detail on here but there were reasons behind it.

No way would I have turned my back on my best friend, so it would be hypocritical to do it to other people who's circumstances I have no idea about.

Fair enough thanks for answering. I’m sorry to hear about your friend. I’ve never said that we want us to turn our back on the players for good. I’d personally sell them in time but that’s because I don’t think either are good enough. I want them to suffer ‘enough’ to ensure they don’t do something like this EVER again or are even tempted to, but after some time then forgiveness can be given. 

Just now, Sexydadbod said:

Fair enough thanks for answering. I’m sorry to hear about your friend. I’ve never said that we want us to turn our back on the players for good. I’d personally sell them in time but that’s because I don’t think either are good enough. I want them to suffer ‘enough’ to ensure they don’t do something like this EVER again or are even tempted to, but after some time then forgiveness can be given. 

Being fined 6 weeks wages, 80 hours community service, a driving ban and potentially a custodial sentence...if these arent enough to make them not do it again then nothing is.

Whilst it is almost certain that the releasing of statements by both, before a home game which both may well play a part, is a PR exercise; there has to be a point in time which we, as supporters, must move on. 

Ultimately, the club has served its internal punishment and the Court will likely impose its own. 

As a fan base, we must move on at some point and I, for one, hope that that moment is at 2.59pm today. 

Odd timing releasing late last night, without Lawrence, and then a separate Lawrence statement this morning.

Is this in response to the reactions of the fans and media? Or did the club really think this was the best way to do this?

Another own goal from the club, in my opinion. Unnecessarily messy, could have avoided more aggro if they had more sense.

Edit: Another thing to add to this. Releasing a separate statement from Lawrence has just brought more attention to the individual. Just reading the comments on Twitter compared to the joint club/Bennett one from last night. "Finally, an apology" to "Is that it?!". They've just invited concentrated individual criticism on Lawrence. No thought gone into this whatsoever.

Archived