Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Maybe he should shave his head, wear sackcloth and ashes, while laying prostrate in the centre circle at PPS begging for forgiveness. All carried out in front of the cameras on Saturday before the Luton game

Would that be good enough for you or would you still want a few more pounds of flesh

Jee it’s not that deep, what’s wrong with wanting to see a video apology as well? It’s hard to gauge with written apologies whether they wrote it themselves or the club did, many of these things are done for pr by the club.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think you're being very lenient.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a Rams TV live stream from their house between now and the trial just so I can be certain that they are genuinely sorry.

Think it disgusting that they have not done individual letters to each season ticket holder and anyone that has bought any merchandise since they have been at the club too, after all we pay their wages.

Also hope included in the 80 hours community service is something where they have to go and knock on everyone's door and apologise so people can gauge in person if they are truly sorry or not.

It’s easier to see via video whether their apology is genuine or done because the club told him too. No way he wrote that, Hendrick and Russell were pretty thick and they said Bennett was by far the dumbest in the squad. I suppose at least he’s had the decency to put it out there regardless though.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

I have no feeling either way. Words are cheap.

Releasing statements is easy  ...whoever wrote it, makes no odds to me. Long-term actions are what I will judge them on.

Still can't fathom the stupidity and moronic attitude to their profession, saying they regret it is hardly a personal awakening as clearly their actions were reprehensible to anyone with an ounce of sense. 

Harsh maybe, but I don't judge them by the same standards as the general public or a friend...to whom I would possibly say 'you were really daft, and pretty bloody lucky' and move on.

They represent the club I support, their actions affect my chances of watching my club get promoted, they seem to symbolise the state of the team...and it doesn't look good to me. I would rather we waited til after the court case...and then decided.

I claim no high moral ground, am not a moral crusader, I just see things through the lens of supporting the club and I would rather they weren't around at least until the dust has settled.

My feelings also, don’t really get the argument either when people say”you’ve probably broken the law too”, well firstly I haven’t and will never drink drive, secondly I’m not in the public spotlight getting paid thousands and thousands a week, I’ve never potentially ended my work colleagues’ career. If I was getting the paid the amount they do, I’d probably just give up booze altogether to be honest. May seem harsh to others, I personally think many Derby fans have been lenient to the two. Seems the people who aren’t taking this quite as seriously don’t understand the seriousness of drink driving or don’t know people victims of it, as with many things, they’d only understand if they or a close one was a victim of it themselves.

9 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

It’s easier to see via video whether their apology is genuine or done because the club told him too. No way he wrote that, Hendrick and Russell were pretty thick and they said Bennett was by far the dumbest in the squad. I suppose at least he’s had the decency to put it out there regardless though.

Is it?

Keogh is our club captain and every time he appears infront of a camera there is somebody waiting to lambast him on here for how he comes across.

Unless you're some sort of body language expert?

My guess is if they put a video apology out we would still have the same people with the same reactions. ie fake video, staged and scripted blah blah blah

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Is it?

Keogh is our club captain and every time he appears infront of a camera there is somebody waiting to lambast him on here for how he comes across.

Unless you're some sort of body language expert?

My guess is if they put a video apology out we would still have the same people with the same reactions. ie fake video, staged and scripted blah blah blah

It doesn’t take a body language expert to see whether an apology is authentic or not. It’s done now either way, I don’t think we will see a video apology now. I appreciate you have a different view on the matter, it’s just my personal opinion. 

34 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Are you feeling better health-wise?

Better, not 100%.

Truth be told I’m not sure if I’ll last 15 minutes or the full game, only way to find out is get down there. 

Be easier if we don’t concede any daft goals and look comfortable!

With the missus new job it’s difficult to get down unless I can bribe a mate who’s free into it, which I’ve done today....he’s actually a Villa fan so if there is any booing today, direct it his way if I see any of you down there. 

Just now, Sexydadbod said:

It doesn’t take a body language expert to see whether an apology is authentic or not. It’s done now either way, I don’t think we will see a video apology now. I appreciate you have a different view on the matter, it’s just my personal opinion. 

Just think it's a sad state of affairs when an apology (which isnt even needed in my opinion) is released and people decide its authentic, based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that Hendrick and Russell called him thick many years ago.

Not sure what your line of work is but I'm sure if you had done the same thing you would not be doing a written apology and video for all of your customers? So not sure why you would expect it of anyone else?

14 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I think it's approaching the time that we draw a line under all this as a fanbase and get behind the team. Just my opinion. 

Absolutely.

Another thing we still don’t know the full facts so everyone needs to take a step back. 

12 minutes ago, desirelines said:

I think it's approaching the time that we draw a line under all this as a fanbase and get behind the team. Just my opinion. 

I agree. I think everyone now as had their say on this. Whether you agree or disagree with how quickly they have come back is now pointless because it’s done. They have been fined and the courts will decide a correct punishment for them. 

So there is a match today and I assume Lawrence will start? So my opinion now is let get behind them/him for football reason because I’m 100% sure the Luton fans will be telling Lawerence, Bennett and Keogh, they should have walked home (maybe not Mason to Mansfield thou). 

Thanks @Davidfor the name check, that’s broadly where I am with it all as well.

I will say the club might have waited until after the court case at the least, as I know with rehabilitation..... it doesn’t take a week.....

They will get a real eye opener on the drinks awareness course they’ll attend. Also for the club as a whole, an idea for me would be to invite in lived in experience of the affects of drink driving from various angles.

A convicted drunk driver who lost his job

A family who lost their relative to another ones actions

A person whose fully turned their life around and helps with education on potential dangers (obviously I try and do this with gambling)

As I’ve stated previously, throwing the away the key and kicking them out for probably the stupidest mistake they’ll ever make, without the chance to try and make amends (I know from my own experience, you won’t to everybody), be remorseful, take full responsibility and become a better person because of it.

The reactions of the individuals concerned will be more what I’m bothered about.... if they can do the above, then they have a chance. Some will never be happy with them, they’ll have to accept that. But what will matter more is that they have changed themselves for the better, and have made amends with loved ones who probably have lost trust in them.

Kind Regards

The Mafia

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

So he's apologised and the club have punished him heavily and now we are saying that the apology isn't his and the club have punished him all wrong

Punished him heavily don't make me laugh, no i don't think it is a sincere apology, it is a contrived PR exercise instigated by the club (that's glaringly obvious by the timing of the release) which will have been written by someone within the club and then Bennett posting it as if it a statement prepared by him. All done to lessen the pressure on him and the club today. As Jim Royle would say"apology my arse"

Archived