Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by David

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

Just read both statements and they sound like they have come from the club. I could be wrong.  Especially the statements being released before the game today. I still don’t think they should of played until after the court case.

Why do they sound like they have come from the club out of interest?

I agree with not playing until after the court case by the way.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why do they sound like they have come from the club out of interest?

I agree with not playing until after the court case by the way.

Because both would have been cleared for release by the club's press department the same has every statement from the club and is just not Derby nearly every statement released these days by anyone has had the touch of a press office and lawyers  on it.

30 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Edit: Another thing to add to this. Releasing a separate statement from Lawrence has just brought more attention to the individual. Just reading the comments on Twitter compared to the joint club/Bennett one from last night. "Finally, an apology" to "Is that it?!". They've just invited concentrated individual criticism on Lawrence. No thought gone into this whatsoever.

Bland statements with a whiff of corporate speak, released hours apart, on the day of the first home game since...and over a week after they should have been publically remorseful...

I would guess LOTS of thought has gone into it.

8 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Because both would have been cleared for release by the club's press department the same has every statement from the club and is just not Derby nearly every statement released these days by anyone has had the touch of a press office and lawyers  on it.

Theres a difference between something being cleared for release and the statement being prepared by the club though.

3 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Does Hilda know of this?

Hildas sat wi me at Chatsworth House ... I've treat her to Afternoon tea fer her boffday although I've got ta ger her  back as some washing needs putting in and hoovering up needs doing  

4 minutes ago, Owd miner said:

Hildas sat wi me at Chatsworth House ... I've treat her to Afternoon tea fer her boffday although I've got ta ger her  back as some washing needs putting in and hoovering up needs doing  

Half fan.

I'm not really part of the "keep them away" club (anymore - that was my kneejerk when it happened); but I don't see the benefit of those apologies. They've clearly not been written by the players.

With regards to the club punishment; that's about as severe a punishment you'll get without suspension/sacking - and if the club don't feel that's the way to go then it's their prerogative.
Be interesting what their court punishment will be; you'd imagine they're at least going to get driving bans.

2 hours ago, Sexydadbod said:

Where did I say it's formed just from the fact that Hendrick and Russell called him thick? To me there's no way Bennett wrote that. Anyone can write an apology online, it's a completely different scenario sitting in front of a camera reliving the events of that night to see their emotions. To me we need them to suffer a bit and hang them out to dry, not forever, but for a bit to ensure they don't do anything like this ever again like. I've used the example quite a lot, Darron Gibson, who has been charged with drink driving on a number of occasions, he didn't learn the first time around because he wasn't ridiculed and he didn't learn his lesson.   

My role and their jobs are completely different, I'm not in the public spotlight for one getting paid thousands upon thousands a week, if I was I'd give up drink. And I did potentially end a colleague's career, I'd never forgive myself and send written apologies to everyone in the office. It;s completely different with football, if it was up to me, both of them would have to do a rams tv interview apologising which would be showed at half time at a match, rather than just a twitter apology that many Derby fans probably won't even see.

How would they know you’d written it?

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Bland statements with a whiff of corporate speak, released hours apart, on the day of the first home game since...and over a week after they should have been publically remorseful...

I would guess LOTS of thought has gone into it.

Have you not seen the players’ social media posts after every game? They’re not exactly creative writers.

Archived