Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

8 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

I know there's a lot of rumors and speculation going around about additional players involved that we can't share on here for obvious reasons, but could someone dm me the cliff notes cause I've been going through Twitter for 20 minutes and can't find anything

Cliffy just rang me with the full story. I'll PM you.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Emotion/Disappointment aside- How much is this really going to impact our season?

Losing Bennett won't really affect us. Losing Lawrence... well, he was likely to lose his place to Rooney in 3 months, so we'll need someone to fill in - Paterson showed glimpses last Saturday, and I don't think we should be giving up on Dowell.

Losing Keogh is the one that people will point at. I liked Keogh. I always thought he gave 100% on the pitch, and could be relied upon.... but if I was grading him, he'd get an A for effort, but a C- for ability. I don't think we want to be dropping Bielik back into defence, so our options are Davies or Buchanan (or getting someone like Younes Kaboul in until January). I don't think that's going to make that much of a difference, and who knows, if it *does* end up being Buchanan, maybe he could be this year's Bogle? I think it's premature to assume the season's over because of this.

Got to say I'm fuming about this. Whatever happens vis-a-vis the punishment they get dished out, the fact of the matter is that we have had one win all season and no win at home. ALL the players should be working their ar*es off to be training and making sure they're 100% ready mentally and physically for Saturday.

We NEED these players to be fully committed to getting results. Going out on the piss, then wrapping your car around a lamppost and taking out the captain in the process is unacceptable.

They're living the dream as professional footballers and should act like it. Instead, they've added yet more turbulence to what's been an unsettled preseason and start to the season. Can't afford to be focussing our energy on off-field dramas when we have important games coming up.

27 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Oh ok. If we're blaming Mel Morris, why don't we take it that bit further?

Its the fault of the police for catching them
It's the fault of the council for not making roads wide enough for drunk drivers to have a bit of leeway.
It's the fault of the establishment for serving alcohol.
It's the fault of the companies who made the alcohol.
It's the fault of Range Rover for making their vehicles accessible to drink drivers.

Nobody is to blame other than the 'men' in the cars.

These sort of events should be held pre-season, or in a controlled environment, such as a hotel or conference centre with overnight accommodation provided, with a member of the club staff on hand to supervise the event and player behaviour throughout

16 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

He's the captain of our football team and is therefore a leader and should show leadership.  It doesn't require sagacity to understand drink driving is wrong.

Not saying that. The man's clearly a pillock.

I just think that the expectation that a football captain should show leadership in entirely non-footballing contexts is a bit weird.

12 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

I know there's a lot of rumors and speculation going around about additional players involved that we can't share on here for obvious reasons, but could someone dm me the cliff notes cause I've been going through Twitter for 20 minutes and can't find anything

Inb4 you get sent **** pics

The more you find out about this incident, the worse it sounds and the worse it sounds, the more you're inclined to say sack all three players and anyone involved for their blatant disregard for the club.

You'd be mistaken for thinking we are Harchester United and this is an episode of Dream Team.

I hate to say it, but Keogh has completely shattered his image as a fans' favourite in the space of 48 hours. You're the club captain. You're a respected figure amongst players, staff and fans. You should be leading by example. If you are not going home at 8pm like everyone else, at least have the wherewithal to order a taxi for those who stayed out.

He didn't and now his season is over and potentially his career at the club is over. I am lost for words.

4 hours ago, Spanish said:

not sure why that makes a difference, if you are suggesting sacking the 2 and keeping WR all that is happening is that the club is being punished.  The 2 of them will get jobs elsewhere and the club get nothing.

Im not saying sack them even they should pay a big fine. Im saying they could be sacked for the offence and its totally different as we signed rooney even tho he already did this before signing him! Nothing to do with Derby rooneys wasnt! 

Just now, SaintRam said:

Not saying that. The man's clearly a pillock.

I just think that the expectation that a football captain should show leadership in entirely non-footballing contexts is a bit weird.

can't agree.  I was on a stag do with the guys from work; ferry from IOM to Liverpool, match and return boat.  Very messy.  On the way back I was having a laugh at the antics of a few of the guys, they were trying to walk the balustrade that surrounds the ship.  Then it occurred to me I was the senior guy at work.  Tell you something they didn't leave the confines of the ship or my gaze thereafter.  Keogh isn't a leader, he is at best one of the boys, if he had the skills to be a leader he would have stopped all this before it went Pete Tong

5 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

These sort of events should be held pre-season, or in a controlled environment, such as a hotel or conference centre with overnight accommodation provided, with a member of the club staff on hand to supervise the event and player behaviour throughout

Jesus, they aren’t kids. They are adults that should be able to be trusted. 

Would you like to put shackles on them too

Archived