Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

You can fit five people in a Range Rover.  Why take 2 cars if there's only 3 people to get home?  This is going to run and run and if the club don't name and shame, others will be unfairly tarred with the brush of suspicion.

I thought this, and before the club announcement, thought maybe there was peolple who aren’t players in the car....but if it was a “team bonding sesssion” it’s nit looking good.

One thing I just want to address.

A lot of people commenting on the incident condemn Keogh for being an "old head" who should know better. Now, he absolutely should know better - as all adults should; but he's only an "old head" in footballing terms, not in real world terms.

The guy is 34. 

I know plenty of people in their mid 30s who live life exactly the same way they did when they were 20. Sure, their peers think often think less of them for it but it's not even remotely uncommon.
I don't think he should be free of blame; but I think some folks are over-egging his role in this due to their perception he's some wise old sage.

He's not even middle aged and he's spent his life on footballer's money, hitting a ball with various body parts for most of it. I'm often surprised footballers are capable of functioning in public at all.

He's done wrong; but lets not put him in a box of expectation he shouldn't be in.

3 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I thought this, and before the club announcement, thought maybe there was peolple who aren’t players in the car....but if it was a “team bonding sesssion” it’s nit looking good.

If any of them are serious about living up to the bad boy footballer stereotype, they were dollybirds in with them as well...

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

One thing I just want to address.

A lot of people commenting on the incident condemn Keogh for being an "old head" who should know better. Now, he absolutely should know better - as all adults should; but he's only an "old head" in footballing terms, not in real world terms.

The guy is 34. 

I know plenty of people in their mid 30s who live life exactly the same way they did when they were 20. Sure, their peers think often think less of them for it but it's not even remotely uncommon.
I don't think he should be free of blame; but I think some folks are over-egging his role in this due to their perception he's some wise old sage.

He's not even middle aged and he's spent his life on footballer's money, hitting a ball with various body parts for most of it. I'm often surprised footballers are capable of functioning in public at all.

He's done wrong; but lets not put him in a box of expectation he shouldn't be in.

Keogh aka Mr untouchable

6 minutes ago, cosmic said:

You're both right, the club itself can only do so much. It's more the attitude of the players who quite clearly didn't give two clucks. Where does that come from? Where I work everyone's pulling in the same direction. There's mutual respect top to bottom. For me, the lack of it shown by Keogh and that group of players is worrying. I've worked in places where the guys running the show were rotten, and it filters down to the plebs on the floor.

Edit: and @Ambitious, you're right as well. Just saw your reply.

Yeah, appreciate that, but Keogh is the man entrusted to set the tone to the other players. I have no idea whether Mel is setting a bad tone (I would suggest that is not the case from what I have seen, and that Mel is a good bloke, but I can't *prove* it), but Keogh's job is to lead by example.

Just now, Edtheram said:

Keogh aka Mr untouchable

No no that's not what I mean at all. I don't want him to remain Captain. He's gotten off lightly to be frank for the decision he made, and I don't think he'll play again anyway so that's moot but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

All I'm saying is that in real world terms he's still a young man; under the definition of many. Not some wise old head who should be guiding twenty-somethings through their life decisions - and shouldn't be expected to be. Lawrence and Bennett should hold the majority of the blame here.

8 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Not to have held the event at all.  

Oh ok. If we're blaming Mel Morris, why don't we take it that bit further?

Its the fault of the police for catching them
It's the fault of the council for not making roads wide enough for drunk drivers to have a bit of leeway.
It's the fault of the establishment for serving alcohol.
It's the fault of the companies who made the alcohol.
It's the fault of Range Rover for making their vehicles accessible to drink drivers.

Nobody is to blame other than the 'men' in the cars.

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It says a small group of players. Others may yet be named.

What if the others involved are Waghorn, Marriott?

You have to sack them all not just these 3, are you ok with that?

The quality of the player is irrelevant here. 

I don't agree with you anyway, Keogh especially has been excellent for Derby. I do feel he won't play for us again though now.

Sorry no what I meant was It is a great excuse for Phil to get rid of those three, as they are all rubbish and he would also look like he is running the place when really he is getting rid of three rubbish players. 

3 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Oh ok. If we're blaming Mel Morris, why don't we take it that bit further?

Its the fault of the police for catching them
It's the fault of the council for not making roads wide enough for drunk drivers to have a bit of leeway.
It's the fault of the establishment for serving alcohol.
It's the fault of the companies who made the alcohol.
It's the fault of Range Rover for making their vehicles accessible to drink drivers.

Nobody is to blame other than the 'men' in the cars.

No mention of that pesky lamppost....do they get off Scott free then..?? 

4 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

Yeah, appreciate that, but Keogh is the man entrusted to set the tone to the other players. I have no idea whether Mel is setting a bad tone (I would suggest that is not the case from what I have seen, and that Mel is a good bloke, but I can't *prove* it), but Keogh's job is to lead by example.

Absolutely. Plenty has been said about the "great" dressing room we've had, but time and time again we fall short on the pitch. Time for a clear out and a fresh squad/attitude, imo.

3 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Absolutely. Plenty has been said about the "great" dressing room we've had, but time and time again we fall short on the pitch. Time for a clear out and a fresh squad/attitude, imo.

I think this is why I feel let down. I thought, despite frequent complaints from other fans, that Keogh was a good player and a good guy and someone I was happy led the squad. Seems I was wrong.

Archived