Derby County vs QPR

cannable
Message added by Day

Ok, so blood pressure is now back down to a couple of numbers that add up to less than 300, which is something at least...

Well I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon out. There’s not much better than a winner in injury time, but to then get another on the break, AND do it against a team which played loathsome negative football throughout was quite something. I have missed that kind of atmosphere.

Yes we weren’t great, but I think that there are posters on here who believe that other teams in the top eight are winning week in week out with faultless, flowing, total football. They are not. They do it sometimes, and other times they just do whatever it takes to get over the line.

Tomori stood out again, Bogle too, and all three subs deserve plaudits as they changed the game. Bennett may not have done much on the floor but it made such a pleasant change to see him winning balls in the air.

Huge respect for Harry Wilson. He has been kicked black and blue for weeks now with no protection from refs, but he just seems to dust himself off and carry on. His 36 yard free kick (six mowed lines at 6 yards each by my reckoning) so nearly went in. As for the penno - balls of steel to just wait for the histrionics to subside and then slot it in so coolly. 

One sad thought is that the last time we see Craig Bryson in a Rams shirt might have been him hobbling off today. He has played his part this season for sure.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a penalty. If the defender did get a touch of the ball, it was not enough to put the ball out of play. Bogle would still have reached the ball, before it would have gone out of play. So when the defender, who had gone to ground in an attempt to clear the ball, then made contact with Bogle. The Ref could nothing else but give the penalty.

Seven points and we are in play offs probably against Leeds. COYR. 

Swansea won 5 of their last 6. Draw there hopefully after beating Bristol on Saturday then all down to WBA. Would be nice. Could be a goal difference decider. ??

What an atmosphere that was. The noise during the first half was something else, hairs on the back of yer head stuff, Went a bit quiet second half but the tension late on was tremendous.

Had a good drink round town tonight and the feeling was its our year.

Lampards at the wheel

tell me how good does it feel

???

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Seven points and we are in play offs probably against Leeds. COYR. 

Swansea won 5 of their last 6. Draw there hopefully after beating Bristol on Saturday then all down to WBA. Would be nice. Could be a goal difference decider. ??

I can't help thinking Bristol is the big one. Swansea could be forgiven fir being on the beech and hate Bristol only fractionally less than Cardiff.

WBA I think will be phoney war, them not giving 10/10ths but looking at us a warm up match for the play offs.

51 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I find the forum helps me feel connected and in touch with the club. If I still lived in Derbyshire I'd get to lots of games, be folk at work and the pub to chat about Derby with, and probably wouldn't be very active on the forum.

Lots of people have passion and love and support for the club in different ways and situations, that's life. But I do strongly believe there's nothing like going to the matches. You can see a game on telly, but you live it at the match.

So true that last sentence. I stopped going wt years ago ... life I suppose ..I’d lost my way, become a casual follower

Mac 1 and a chance live game one night. Re lit the fire. Today had it all, from the frustration with the bland and ordinary to the huge out pouring after the penalty, Malone dead on his feet but hanging in there, the east stand bouncing,  Frank going to each stand 

bloody marvellous ?

35 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Definitely a penalty. If the defender did get a touch of the ball, it was not enough to put the ball out of play. Bogle would still have reached the ball, before it would have gone out of play. So when the defender, who had gone to ground in an attempt to clear the ball, then made contact with Bogle. The Ref could nothing else but give the penalty.

Exactly this, the only direct impact the defender's intervention had on the situation was whether or not Bogle was on his feet or on the floor, anything else isn't relevant.

a) The defender does nothing, Bogle gets the ball in a great position. b) The defender slides in, gets the same touch on the ball but doesn't touch Bogle, Bogle gets the ball in a great position. c) The defender slides in, gets the same touch on the ball, but takes Bogle out in the process...? Clear penalty.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Exactly this, the only direct impact defender's intervention had on the situation the was whether or not Bogle was on his feet or on the floor, anything else isn't relevant.

It was a penalty. I had a clear view and Bogle’s pace caused the defender to lunge as Bogle caught him up...and I loved Bogle’s double roll-over. I knew it was a sonewaller and the ref had no hesitation in pointing to the big white dot. Cue a huge cacophony of black n white noise...

I thought it was a pen but having just looked at it on tv tonight. The defender got the ball first and Bogle fell over his foot.

Its swings and roundabouts, we have not got them when it has been a blatant pen, today we got one and it wasnt a pen. 

The penalty looked stonewall from where I was (south west corner), but I haven't seen the replay. In real time, it did look a completely ill-thought out swing of the boot. 

As for the performance, it wasn't the best but I don't think you can take anything away from QPR who were the most organised team I can remember seeing at Pride Park this season. They lack quality, definitely, but for winning second balls, making life difficult, getting themselves back in position out of possession, I genuinely think they were the best we've seen this season. Credit to Eustace for that. 

The lack of midfield presence really hogtied us at times, as I said: QPR's off the ball movement really made it difficult and I felt we didn't do enough at times to create good options. They did get tired, eventually, and their concentration lapsed just enough for us to get a deserved, hard-worked win. 

QPR players deserve a lot of credit for their effort off the ball, especially given their circumstances, but it would have been disappointing not to come away with all three points. 

I've not felt "that feeling" that special feeling about football in such long a time , with the risk of sounding like a soppy poo . I explained to my lad (6) how much the penalty meant as we were awarded it . The look in his eyes when that raw went up as Wilson scored was something else , I said to him "this is what footballs all about" . Bloody brilliant , sorry if I bored you there just needed to share it with people who could possibly relate . 

Regarding the game , the first half was poor , no real flow. They came to do a job and stuck to it. Thought we learnt more the second half , upped the tempo and kept withing the play . Thought Bennett had a huge impact when he came on , offered that physical presence out wide that was missing. Marriott and Nuge changed the dimension drastically aswell when coming on . 3 points Saturday now Derby 

19 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Not my Scott Malone thread! Despite his best attempts to lose us the game, it's another positive result with him in the side! He's our secret to success.

'Best efforts' was really only one incident though.

For the first 70 minutes he was probably our best player, the only one who consistently tried to do or did the right thing with the ball and the only one capable of moving up the field with the ball and not immediately losing it.

Days like today are why we are football fans! It’s why we put ourselves through the ringer, it’s what we live for. Yes we were crap for long periods but it doesn’t matter, the heart and desire were there, the fans sensed the team needed and responded - tremendous. Then when we thought it wasn’t going to happen, from nowhere a penalty. Waiting for Wilson to take that pen took me back to the playoff semi with Southampton 12 years ago!! Nerves, despair, drama, euphoria, elation that game had everything. 4 stands doing the bounce FFS! (Well 3 then not sure the west stand were). 

It may all prove to be for nothing but in my near 30 years of supporting Derby, this was one of my best days as a fan. We’ve had a few good days this season, let’s hope we can have some more, maybe even one at Wembley!!

COYR!!

31 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I can't help thinking Bristol is the big one. Swansea could be forgiven fir being on the beech and hate Bristol only fractionally less than Cardiff.

WBA I think will be phoney war, them not giving 10/10ths but looking at us a warm up match for the play offs.

Apparently Swansea could still nab 6th if a lot of results go their way and have won their last 6 at home.

If you assume that us and Bristol drawing is one of those results we may then easily be facing an in form home team with something to play for.......?

On a side note, boro looked shocking and bielsa seems to have ditched his genius blue bucket......

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The penalty looked stonewall from where I was (south west corner), but I haven't seen the replay. In real time, it did look a completely ill-thought out swing of the boot. 

As for the performance, it wasn't the best but I don't think you can take anything away from QPR who were the most organised team I can remember seeing at Pride Park this season. They lack quality, definitely, but for winning second balls, making life difficult, getting themselves back in position out of possession, I genuinely think they were the best we've seen this season. Credit to Eustace for that. 

The lack of midfield presence really hogtied us at times, as I said: QPR's off the ball movement really made it difficult and I felt we didn't do enough at times to create good options. They did get tired, eventually, and their concentration lapsed just enough for us to get a deserved, hard-worked win. 

QPR players deserve a lot of credit for their effort off the ball, especially given their circumstances, but it would have been disappointing not to come away with all three points. 

Nice one. Leaving out the hyperbole and the fact that for effort over the game we did deserve it, QPR were organised. They made us sit deep in the first half. Never mind 2 banks of 4 .. their front 3 were a bank on their own for half an hour. They Played the ball quickly, moved for each other. .. they lacked quality but we could learn some lessons in giving team mates options when in possession. 

5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

For those that moan that we don’t get rub of the green and it don’t even itself out over the course of the season, that was the clearest case of it actually does today.

Also, fair play to a referee who added the time on there...... think no one was expecting 9 

Brilliant refereeing.

According to R D he made a great show of checking his watch ever time QPR tried to waste time.

Nice to score in the 94th and 101st minute.

If QP had concentrated on the game instead of trying to cheat the result might have been totally different.

Take it as gospel,

Believe what they say.

Cheats never prosper

And crime does not pay.*

*unless you get a poor referee!

I know Johnson didn’t have his greatest of games today, but he was brilliant during the pen, he got in amongst all the drama, and made sure they didn’t get in Wilson’s head, loved after we scored he was straight into the keeper as well giving him grief.

I know he ain’t everyone’s cup of tea on here, but sometimes someone being nasty and mixing it up works

Archived