Derby County vs QPR

cannable
Message added by Day

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

QPR were truly awful, but they spent a lot of time in our half due to how absolutely wasteful we were. While those stats look nice, they had  2 or 3 really really golden opportunities before we scored.

Johnson had a 63% pass completion. Which is awful for him.

But even worse, Mount had 59% and Lawrence had 50%! FIFTY! That's at Goalkeeper clearance level.

Our transitional play was truly diabolical and I really hope it improves in the next few games so we can at least finish with strength even if we don't get into the playoffs/win the playoffs BUT I don't care about us improving it if we continue to win despite those poor elements ? Feel great right now. 

For the Brum game, their fans said we kept passing it from side to side across the back and then just hoofed it long, bypassing our creative midfield and playing into their hands. And they were largely right. I thought we did that again in the first half today, but in the second half I thought we were much better in the transition. That said, as we reached 90 minutes we just went long, Roos hoofing it from the back. Bennett whose touch was really poor came into his own getting on the end of some long clearances with good headers.

My stats cut off the corner count which was 8-2 to us, often an indication of the balance of a game. That said, many of QPR's best chances came from our corners.

No surprise at Lawrence's and Johnson's passing stats but disappointing to see Mount's. Need a big performance from him on Saturday.

Just looked at the table and if everything went our way (again), a win next weekend could see us in the playoffs!!!! It's that close.

I don't expect a win. Derby never do anything the easy way.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 hard earned points against a team set up defend and counter.

Nowhere near our best today, but who cares?

The atmosphere ramped up when the 9 minutes added time was shown and really seemed to boost the players and to see all 4 stands bounce at the end was special. Well done to all who stayed to the end and help get the 3 points.

3 minutes ago, jono said:

but at a certain point after that we were in the ascendency, we got sharper.

It was not so much us getting sharper but them getting tired. Several times our forward/midfield dropped back to pick up the ball but weren't tracked, they could then turn or play a better ball rather than pass it back to a defender. We kept gifting them some great chances all though the game, which is worrying.

2 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

It was not so much us getting sharper but them getting tired. Several times our forward/midfield dropped back to pick up the ball but weren't tracked, they could then turn or play a better ball rather than pass it back to a defender. We kept gifting them some great chances all though the game, which is worrying.

You’ve got a point there. They did bust a gut for the first 30 / 35 mins .. no time wasting at that point. They did run out of steam. Nuge showed that up in sharp relief a couple of times. And I agree a couple of times we were very slow when in comfortable possession and nearly let them in. But in all honesty this was a really gutsy performance, warts and all. Some days don’t start off on the right foot but they stuck at it and for once we got a slice of luck on a 50/50 decision. and why not !  it’s about time and they earned it for standing up for 101 minutes ?

Wow! What a way to spend 10 minutes of your life hen you had lost the will to live any more of it!

Perhaps the only cure for such a lackadaisical performance is to make performing well a condition of getting paid. The first half in particular was absolutely dreadful, almost as if the players actually don't want to get promoted. In previous seasons I could argue that players were avoiding promotion because they knew they weren't up to Premier :League standard and would be out of a job. But this time round, most of them will be gone regardless, but I am absolutely baffled as to why the players think that they can just amble around the pitch like they are on a wander round the local park with their kids.

The second half did have more urgency about them, but our general play was still pretty poor, but at least we seemed to be keen to be poor. Frank Lampard said that he had poin ted out the player's being half a yard short for every challenge and every second ball, and half a second too long deciding what to do with the ball, and there was an improvement in the second half, hopefully as a result of the half-time talk.

The support form the crowd was close to stupendous. It died down after about 30 minutes, largely because there was little to support, but picked up again in the second half. Some of it was down to growing frustration at the appalling time-wasting, and the wet-lettuce leaf of a referee who didn't have the balls to do anything about it. Yes, he stuffed 9 minutes extra time on at the end, but most of that would be from substitutions and treatment to injuries and to fake injuries. What he should have done is wave his yellow card at the offenders early on in the game, although their keeper would have been sent off before half-time. Sticking a load of time on at the end was the coward's way out. 

Someone has already mentioned that the announcement of the 9 minutes time added on knocked the stuffing out of QPR who seemed to think they could get away with their time wasting. Well why not? everybody else does against Derby County! When the penalty came it was greeted both with joy and incredulity - how on earth have Derby been awarded a penalty? We've already had 4 this season! It could have gone either way, so no-one expected it to be given, especially after yet another clear-cut penalty had been turned down earlier in the match. And it was brilliantly taken by Wilson - it was unsaveable, and to have the bottle to take it, and keep his head despite all the slugging was excellent. The noise from the crowd was phenomenal - I have never heard it so loud - a massive sense of relief because we really needed that goal. But it was also a huge release from all the frustration  of the disgraceful amount of time wasting - Lampard said he thought the keeper had the ball in his hand for about 30 minutes of the match!

Wilson was a bit spawny for the second because he mishit the shot but got away with it, and it was party time. And QPR got what they deserved for the way in which they approached the game. Like Gary Monk on Saturday, how Eustace can be happy with that sort of behaviour I have no idea.

Although Tomori got man of the match, I don't think anyone really stood out today. there were far too many below par and unable to pass the ball properly. Tomori got caught out on a few occasions, and the defenders were far too happy just to head the ball somewhere, rather than to a team mate or out of danger, or actually get the ball down and play football - we can sometimes be quite good at that. Surprisingly Nugent did OK when he came on. He still never looked like scoring, but did all right. Wilson was almost anonymous, although he did show a bit more when he was moved into the middle. Teams have worked out that they don't have to clatter him out of the game, although some still try it just for the hell of it. They simply have to be a bit physical and it is job done on him. Mount was still our only really creative player - one counter attack only happened because he ran out from defense and forced Johnson to play the ball up the wing to him instead of dallying around until the chance to break had gone. Marriott also made a difference when he came on, both in terms of attacking threat and in linkup play.

Still, we got 3 points got into the top 6, improved our goal difference and took advantage of other scores. Now who'd have thought that ewas going to happen?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I get that stats don't tell the whole story (Wilson wasn't our best player but goals = rating), but I agree with whoscored in saying that Lawrence was the worst player on the pitch. That was my takeaway from watching, and the stats line up with it.

image.png.1b280b0ab1808a33ff8fd02be493eff0.png

Lawrence HAS to go! How long we going to wait for the bit of magic Lamps obviously thinks he’s going to produce at some point? His performances have been beyond dire since he cane back from injury. Hope Holmes is fit for Brizzle and beyond.... 

Just now, ramtique said:

Lawrence HAS to go! How long we going to wait for the bit of magic Lamps obviously thinks he’s going to produce at some point? His performances have been beyond dire since he cane back from injury. Hope Holmes is fit for Brizzle and beyond.... 

This is just plain incorrect. He’s suffered the last couple of games, but when he returned he looked a different player. 

Have looked at the penalty a couple of times with my supporters head off and my refs head on.....penalty was given for the contact from Freeman's trailing leg on Bogle has he slid to get to the ball which bought Bogle down the decision was correct but not obvious and you do not always get them.

But after the nailed on one's turned down in the last few games a less obvious one was always likely to be the one given.

Finally back after probably the best game since Cardiff last season, atmosphere was electric and the 3points were huge.

Just one thing, Lawrence was good first half and made so many great runs and was screaming for the ball but was never picked out, can we not get on his back just for once and celebrate what is a brilliant win.

48 minutes ago, KCG said:

Go on admit it, you meant Nuge and Marriott.

I was mystified that he brought on Bennett for Bryson instead of Hudds; we were crying out for control & composure in midfield.

I think the clue was in my quoting three players named in my op which is the giveaway that I didnt....

I agreed with the substitution....QPR wouldn't have given hudders the half an hour thinking time for each pass he makes whereas Bennett brought in some much needed muscle and quick movement.

Archived