The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, therealhantsram said:

But the irony is that this is what the Brexiteers wanted... British judges, British courts and British laws ensuring that the British Parliament is sovereign.

The other irony being that the same people who claimed that the prorogation was normal and absolutely nothing to do with Brexit are now the ones saying that the establishment is conspiring to stop brexit at all costs by ruling the proroation unlawful. ...

While sat watching the news about the supreme court ruling. My wife who as never shown any interest in politics, in all the time we have been married. Suddenly said how did Johnson became Prime Minister. If I can see he's an idiot. Why couldn't the people who voted for him not see it?

13 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

He was only voted for by Tory members. Not *the best* judges of character it seems

I knew that and expained to my wife that it was members of the tory party that voted for him. She replied that they must be bigger idiots than him.

25 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

The other irony being that the same people who claimed that the prorogation was normal and absolutely nothing to do with Brexit are now the ones saying that the establishment is conspiring to stop brexit at all costs by ruling the proroation unlawful. ...

Exactly. And this is the very delicate situation we find ourselves in. Wonder if we'll get a repeat of the Mails vile enemies of the people headline. 

Genuinely wish I was still studying constitutional law. Today’s judgement is just about the first thing that my lecturers would have been right about.

They predicted leaving the EU would be political suicide and thus it would never happen. Saying that, they were half right ?

22 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Just reading more about the speech today... they claim they are going to...

• Reduce the working week to 4 days, yet keep everyone's pay the same (!?)
  • Provide free childcare
  • Free prescriptions
  • Free university education
  • Free public transport for under 25s
  • Free school meals for all
  • Free social care for over 65s.

Seriously?  I can't see how that adds up.

Even for 56 year olds?  Fantastic!  Second puddings for me!  

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I find it astonishing that the prevailing mood is that his lying to the Queen is a more serious matter than lying to the rest of us.

How do you know he lied to the Queen. I suspect he was perfectly straight with her, but spun things (in the best Blair/ Campbell traditions) to the rest of us.. But when talking of lying, all these statements from Miller , Gaulke, Major etc, bleating about democracy, does anyone actually believe they are doing it for any other reason than to stop Brexit as voted for by millions.

And all politicians lie to us all the time, its expected and accepted behaviour. 

Right now the majority of politicians are against the majority of the people, how is that democratic?

52 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

How do you know he lied to the Queen. I suspect he was perfectly straight with her, but spun things (in the best Blair/ Campbell traditions) to the rest of us.. But when talking of lying, all these statements from Miller , Gaulke, Major etc, bleating about democracy, does anyone actually believe they are doing it for any other reason than to stop Brexit as voted for by millions.

And all politicians lie to us all the time, its expected and accepted behaviour. 

Right now the majority of politicians are against the majority of the people, how is that democratic?

How do you know? Aren't the population allowed to change their mind now that they realise that Brexit is an absolute horror show that will likely cause a major recession and utterly devastate British industry, destroy the Good Friday Agreement and ultimately lead to the complete break-up of the United Kingdom?

Perhaps ask them again? If not, why not?

55 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

3 minutes ago, Montgolfier said:

How do you know? Aren't the population allowed to change their mind now that they realise that Brexit is an absolute horror show that will likely cause a major recession and utterly devastate British industry, destroy the Good Friday Agreement and ultimately lead to the complete break-up of the United Kingdom?

Perhaps ask them again? If not, why not?

i have no idea whether the majority of the UK population want a no deal brexit

Archived